Adonadi not operational

Sid Hymes
Hi,

After a recent Fedora 30 update, Kontact, etc., no longer function. The error message is "The Akonadi personal information management service is not operational". Clicking the "Details" button brings up nothing.

Can anyone suggest a troubleshooting path? I reinstalled Akonadi to no effect.

Thanks.

Re: Adonadi not operational

Ovidiu-Florin Bogdan

What does `akonadictl status` say? Can you start it with `akonadiclt start`?

În ziua de vineri, 28 iunie 2019, la 18:14:37 EEST, Sid Hymes a scris:

Hi,

After a recent Fedora 30 update, Kontact, etc., no longer function. The error message is "The Akonadi personal information management service is not operational". Clicking the "Details" button brings up nothing.

Can anyone suggest a troubleshooting path? I reinstalled Akonadi to no effect.

Thanks.

Re: Adonadi not operational

Sid Hymes
Thank you very much for the prompt response.

The response to both requests,`akonadictl status` and 'akonadiclt start', (in bash) is 'command not found'. And when I tried 'systemctl status akonadi', the response was 'Unit akonadi.service could not be found'.

The contents of the akonadiserver.error file is:
2019-06-28T08:09:14 [INFO ] org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Starting up the Akonadi Server...
2019-06-28T08:09:14 [CRITICAL] org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Failed to use database "akonadi"
2019-06-28T08:09:14 [CRITICAL] org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Database error: "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/akonadi-sid.i3Siz4/mysql.socket' (2) QMYSQL: Unable to connect"
2019-06-28T08:09:14 [CRITICAL] org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Failed to connect to database!
2019-06-28T08:09:14 [CRITICAL] org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Database error: "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/akonadi-sid.i3Siz4/mysql.socket' (2) QMYSQL: Unable to connect"
2019-06-28T08:09:14 [CRITICAL] org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Failed to remove runtime connection config file
2019-06-28T08:09:14 [INFO ] org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Shutting down AkonadiServer...

Mysql (or mariadb) is installed in /usr/bin/mysql.

Thanks for you help.

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 9:49 AM Ovidiu-Florin Bogdan <[hidden email]> wrote:

What does `akonadictl status` say? Can you start it with `akonadiclt start`?

În ziua de vineri, 28 iunie 2019, la 18:14:37 EEST, Sid Hymes a scris:

Hi,

After a recent Fedora 30 update, Kontact, etc., no longer function. The error message is "The Akonadi personal information management service is not operational". Clicking the "Details" button brings up nothing.

Can anyone suggest a troubleshooting path? I reinstalled Akonadi to no effect.

Thanks.

Re: Adonadi not operational

Ovidiu-Florin Bogdan

Akonady is not a systemd service. It's a user process. `akonadictl` is a command line tool that helps control that process.

From your response I deduce that you don't have the full KDE PIM suite installed.

I recommend that you force reinstall the KDE PIM suite.

Regards,

Ovidiu

În ziua de vineri, 28 iunie 2019, la 20:32:53 EEST, Sid Hymes a scris:

[...]

Thanks. What's strange is that it was working w/o issue prior to the update so it sounds like the update "overwrote" or inadvertently deleted part of the total package.
So I reinstalled kdepim and rebooted - the response is still that Akonadi is not operational. Please see attached. This screen appeared after first telling me Akonadi was not running and to start it. 'akonadiclt start' still reports that "command not found".
When I did the install, only 3 packages were installed and akonadi was not among them; see attached. Do I need to consider reinstalling the whole kde package group?
Thanks again for your help!

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 1:38 PM Ovidiu-Florin Bogdan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Akonady is not a systemd service. It's a user process. `akonadictl` is a command line tool that helps control that process.

From your response I deduce that you don't have the full KDE PIM suite installed.

[...]

akonadi_not_operational.png (119K) Download Attachment
Screenshot_kdepim-installed.png (162K) Download Attachment

Re: Adonadi not operational

Ovidiu-Florin Bogdan
It's akonadiCTL not akonadiCLT. Short for akonadi control.

Force reinstalling means just that: forcing the package manager to re-install all the required packages. Just in case some files are corrupt or missing. An alternative is to completely uninstall and reinstall the whole PIM suite.

Sâm, 29 iun. 2019, 00:20 Sid Hymes <[hidden email]> a scris:
Thanks. What's strange is that it was working w/o issue prior to the update so it sounds like the update "overwrote" or inadvertently deleted part of the total package.
So I reinstalled kdepim and rebooted - the response is still that Akonadi is not operational. Please see attached. This screen appeared after first telling me Akonadi was not running and to start it. 'akonadiclt start' still reports that "command not found".
When I did the install, only 3 packages were installed and akonadi was not among them; see attached. Do I need to consider reinstalling the whole kde package group?
Thanks again for your help!

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 1:38 PM Ovidiu-Florin Bogdan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Akonady is not a systemd service. It's a user process. `akonadictl` is a command line tool that helps control that process.

From your response I deduce that you don't have the full KDE PIM suite installed.

[...]

René J.V. Bertin
On Saturday June 29 2019 00:34:33 Ovidiu-Florin BOGDAN wrote:

> or missing. An alternative is to completely uninstall and reinstall the
> whole PIM suite.

Try a force-reinstall first. Depending on how Fedora manage their dependencies it is not impossible that uninstalling all of PIM leads to uninstalling the entire KDE desktop.
I have no experience with Fedora but I presume that you'd be warned of such a side-effect, or at least that you'll be able to see that much is going to be uninstalled than what you intended to ask for.

Re: Adonadi not operational

Sid Hymes
Thanks for the suggestions. When I run the correct command (my bad!) 'akonadictl start' I get:
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
[sid@hallie ~]$ org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Starting up the Akonadi Server...
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Failed to use database "akonadi"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Database error: "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/akonadi-sid.i3Siz4/mysql.socket' (2) QMYSQL: Unable to connect"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Failed to connect to database!
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Database error: "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/akonadi-sid.i3Siz4/mysql.socket' (2) QMYSQL: Unable to connect"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Failed to remove runtime connection config file
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Shutting down AkonadiServer...
org.kde.pim.akonadicontrol: Application '/usr/bin/akonadiserver' exited normally...
Searching both the Internet generally and the Fedora forums, I cannot find a way to "force" a reinstall. (And I hope to avoid the potential problems with a compelete KDE reinstall.) That said, the error message above suggests to me that there's either a configuration or possibly permissions issue at play.
Again, thank you much for your assistance with this.

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 5:17 PM René J.V. Bertin <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Saturday June 29 2019 00:34:33 Ovidiu-Florin BOGDAN wrote:

> or missing. An alternative is to completely uninstall and reinstall the
> whole PIM suite.

Try a force-reinstall first. Depending on how Fedora manage their dependencies it is not impossible that uninstalling all of PIM leads to uninstalling the entire KDE desktop.
I have no experience with Fedora but I presume that you'd be warned of such a side-effect, or at least that you'll be able to see that much is going to be uninstalled than what you intended to ask for.

Re: Adonadi not operational

Ovidiu-Florin Bogdan

My $HOME/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc looks like this:

## Start of file

[Debug]

Tracer=null

[%General]

Driver=QMYSQL

[QMYSQL]

Host=

Name=akonadi

Options="UNIX_SOCKET=/tmp/akonadi-ovidiu.JBJFuf/mysql.socket"

ServerPath=/usr/libexec/mysqld

StartServer=true

## End of file

Do you have the binary described in yours at `ServerPath`? Do you have read/write/execute permissions in the path described in `Options="UNIX_SOCKET`?

Regards,

Ovidiu

În ziua de sâmbătă, 29 iunie 2019, la 04:17:57 EEST, Sid Hymes a scris:

Thanks for the suggestions. When I run the correct command (my bad!) 'akonadictl start' I get:

Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
[sid@hallie ~]$ org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Starting up the Akonadi Server...
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Failed to use database "akonadi"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Database error: "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/akonadi-sid.i3Siz4/mysql.socket' (2) QMYSQL: Unable to connect"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Failed to connect to database!
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Database error: "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/akonadi-sid.i3Siz4/mysql.socket' (2) QMYSQL: Unable to connect"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Failed to remove runtime connection config file
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Shutting down AkonadiServer...
org.kde.pim.akonadicontrol: Application '/usr/bin/akonadiserver' exited normally...

Searching both the Internet generally and the Fedora forums, I cannot find a way to "force" a reinstall. (And I hope to avoid the potential problems with a compelete KDE reinstall.) That said, the error message above suggests to me that there's either a configuration or possibly permissions issue at play.

Again, thank you much for your assistance with this.

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 5:17 PM René J.V. Bertin <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Saturday June 29 2019 00:34:33 Ovidiu-Florin BOGDAN wrote:

> or missing. An alternative is to completely uninstall and reinstall the
> whole PIM suite.

Try a force-reinstall first. Depending on how Fedora manage their dependencies it is not impossible that uninstalling all of PIM leads to uninstalling the entire KDE desktop.
I have no experience with Fedora but I presume that you'd be warned of such a side-effect, or at least that you'll be able to see that much is going to be uninstalled than what you intended to ask for.

Re: Adonadi not operational

René J.V. Bertin
BTW, did you check the Fedora forums (I'm sure they must exist)? If this issue started after an update and is indeed due to this update, then you are probably not alone. Maybe someone already found a solution, or maybe a correction is being prepared?

That said, your error can also be the result of a change in the database software, even something stupid as a version change that implies that the server has to be started using a different path.

Re: Adonadi not operational

Peter Humphrey-3
On Saturday, 29 June 2019 06:53:39 BST René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> BTW, did you check the Fedora forums (I'm sure they must exist)? If this
> issue started after an update and is indeed due to this update, then you
> are probably not alone. Maybe someone already found a solution, or maybe a
> correction is being prepared?
>
> That said, your error can also be the result of a change in the database
> software, even something stupid as a version change that implies that the
> server has to be started using a different path.

See also my post "Massive breakage..." on 22/06/19, to which I'm surprised
there's been no reaction.

Peter.

Re: Adonadi not operational

Sid Hymes
Again, thanks to all for your suggestions. I had to set "StartServer=false" because once I start Akonadi get repeated screen dumps along the lines of this:
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Starting up the Akonadi Server...
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: mysqld for Akonadi is already running, trying to connect to it.
akonadi.collectionattributetable                   OK
akonadi.collectionmimetyperelation                 OK
akonadi.collectionpimitemrelation                  OK
akonadi.collectiontable                            OK
akonadi.flagtable                                  OK
akonadi.mimetypetable                              OK
akonadi.parttable                                  OK
akonadi.parttypetable                              OK
akonadi.pimitemflagrelation                        OK
akonadi.pimitemtable                               OK
akonadi.pimitemtagrelation                         OK
akonadi.relationtable                              OK
akonadi.relationtypetable                          OK
akonadi.resourcetable                              OK
akonadi.schemaversiontable                         OK
akonadi.tagattributetable                          OK

akonadi.tagremoteidresourcerelationtable           OK
akonadi.tagtable                                   OK
akonadi.tagtypetable                               OK
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Running DB initializer
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: DB initializer done
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff504004320) )
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff504001c00) )
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff504012e40) )
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff504014400) )
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040165c0) )
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff50401f760) )

org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff504028b10) )
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff504029cd0) )
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff50403cdd0) )
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff50403dde0) )
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff50404eff0) )
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff504004320) identified as "kalarm-182605794 - 93946911819504"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040611d0) )
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040622d0) )
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040626e0) )
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff504033870) )
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff504084c70) )
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff504085db0) )
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff504096e50) )
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040981e0) )
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040a9230) )
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040aa310) )

org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040bb420) )
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040bc500) )
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040cd6f0) )
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040ce790) )
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040737f0) )
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040e8e20) )
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040e9ee0) )
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040fb050) )
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040fc0b0) )

org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff504001c00) identified as "ETMCalendarMonitor - 94850795496272"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff504012e40) identified as "AgentBaseChangeRecorder - 94865939403360"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff504014400) identified as "AgentBaseChangeRecorder - 94423432516736"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040165c0) identified as "AgentBaseChangeRecorder - 94154574179808"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff50401f760) identified as "AgentBaseChangeRecorder - 94036241601072"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff504028b10) identified as "akonadi_birthdays_resource - 94036241042960"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff504029cd0) identified as "AgentBaseChangeRecorder - 94614087969824"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff50403cdd0) identified as "Archive Mail Kernel ETM - 93938426774784"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff50403dde0) identified as "AgentBaseChangeRecorder - 93869452509312"

org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff50404eff0) identified as "AgentBaseChangeRecorder - 93938426659600"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040611d0) identified as "AgentBaseChangeRecorder - 94369047268640"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040622d0) identified as "AgentBaseChangeRecorder - 94593122694096"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040626e0) identified as "AgentBaseChangeRecorder - 94569769731408"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff504033870) identified as "KNotes Session - 94369047810944"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff504084c70) identified as "ArchiveMailCollectionMonitor - 93938425343808"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff504085db0) identified as "AgentBaseChangeRecorder - 93893904572608"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff504096e50) identified as "AgentBaseChangeRecorder - 94754945318784"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040981e0) identified as "AgentBaseChangeRecorder - 94287279496992"

org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040a9230) identified as "AgentBaseChangeRecorder - 94422273181184"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040aa310) identified as "MailFilter Kernel ETM - 94593122718944"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040bb420) identified as "UnifiedMailboxChangeRecorder - 94569769733216"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040bc500) identified as "AgentBaseChangeRecorder - 94337047736752"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040cd6f0) identified as "MailFilterCollectionMonitor - 94593124668816"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040ce790) identified as "AgentBaseChangeRecorder - 93995127948688"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040e8e20) identified as "MailFilterItemMonitor - 94593122684992"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040e9ee0) identified as "AgentBaseChangeRecorder - 94735518430864"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040737f0) identified as "AgentBaseChangeRecorder - 93907576697680"

org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040fb050) identified as "akonadi_maildispatcher_agent - 93907576153488"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7ff5040fc0b0) identified as "SpecialCollectionsMonitor - 93907576161696"
org.kde.pim.kalarmresource: doRetrieveItem: Event not found: "7dc32763-b990-400f-b58d-exp-94ab23ddda90"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: ItemRetrievalJob for request 0x7ff48c0ad4c0 finished with error: "Unable to retrieve item from resource: Invalid item retrieved"
org.kde.pim.kalarmresource: doRetrieveItem: Event not found: "7dc32763-b990-400f-b58d-exp-94ab23ddda90"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: ItemRetrievalJob for request 0x7ff48c0b74f0 finished with error: "Unable to retrieve item from resource: Invalid item retrieved"
KCrash: Application 'akonadiserver' crashing...
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
sock_file=/run/user/1000/kdeinit5__0
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: DATABASE ERROR:
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver:   Error code: "2013"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver:   DB error:  "Lost connection to MySQL server during query"
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver:   Error text: "Lost connection to MySQL server during query QMYSQL3: Unable to execute statement"

org.kde.pim.akonadiserver:   Values: QMap((":0", QVariant(qlonglong, 6352)))
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver:   Query: "SELECT PimItemTable.id, PimItemFlagRelation.Flag_id FROM PimItemTable INNER JOIN PimItemFlagRelation ON ( PimItemTable.id = PimItemFlagRelation.PimItem_id ) WHERE ( ( PimItemTable.id = :0 ) ) ORDER BY PimItemTable.id DESC"
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 6 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 20 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 17 and type 'Read', disabling...
org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Handler exception when handling command ModifyItems on connection kalarm-182605794 (0x55fc5c71ff40) : Unable to retrieve item flags
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 19 and type 'Write', disabling...
org.kde.pim.akonadicore: "QLocalSocket: Remote closed" "/tmp/akonadi-sid.T04dCL/akonadiserver-ntf.socket"
[...]

QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 22 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 27 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 31 and type 'Read', disabling...

QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 56 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 60 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 64 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 69 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 73 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 81 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 87 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 89 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 91 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 93 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 95 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 99 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 25 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 54 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 62 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 71 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 86 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 90 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 94 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 100 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 29 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 67 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 88 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 96 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 58 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 92 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 75 and type 'Read', disabling...
org.kde.pim.akonadicore: "QLocalSocket: Remote closed" "/tmp/akonadi-sid.T04dCL/akonadiserver-ntf.socket"
org.kde.pim.akonadicore: "QLocalSocket: Remote closed" "/tmp/akonadi-sid.T04dCL/akonadiserver-ntf.socket"
org.kde.pim.akonadicore: "QLocalSocket: Remote closed" "/tmp/akonadi-sid.T04dCL/akonadiserver-ntf.socket"
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 91 and type 'Write', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 96 and type 'Write', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 22 and type 'Write', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 26 and type 'Read', disabling...

I do have full permissions on the /tmp file and there's nothing recent in the Fedora Forums which, given their preference for Gnome, is not really surprising. There is one posting about akonadi not starting after
Based on Peter's comment and review of his 6/22/19 posting, I went back and looked at the dnf history file and learned that Fedora installed an F 23 update (10.0.23-1.fc23.x86_64) and inaccurately shows an installed date of May 4, 2016; this was a new, clean installation of F 30 just a couple of weeks ago. Yet when I do a "dnf info mariadb" inquiry, it shows version 10.3.312-10 as being installed, as well as the same server and -common files versions. So now I'm wondering if reinstalling mariadb will help, given all the error message references to mysql. I just did a new cat of akonadiserver.error and got this
cat .local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error
2019-06-29T09:07:04 [INFO ] org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Starting up the Akonadi Server...
2019-06-29T09:07:04 [INFO ] org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Running DB initializer
2019-06-29T09:07:04 [INFO ] org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: DB initializer done
2019-06-29T09:07:05 [WARN ] default: Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
2019-06-29T09:07:05 [INFO ] org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7f5704004320) )
2019-06-29T09:07:05 [INFO ] org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: New notification connection (registered as Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7f5704001c00) )
2019-06-29T09:07:05 [INFO ] org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7f5704004320) identified as "kalarm-182605794 - 93946911819504"
2019-06-29T09:07:05 [INFO ] org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7f5704001c00) identified as "ETMCalendarMonitor - 94850795496272"
The fourth line [WARN] makes me wonder about the db connection - am I all wrong about this? Should I reinstall mariadb? Or all of KDE at this point since there appears to be no way to force a reinstall of just kdepim? (The two threads I could find re mysql.conf under akonadi both addressed commenting out the innodb add'l memory size, which has been done.

Thanks again!

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 10:53 PM René J.V. Bertin <[hidden email]> wrote:
BTW, did you check the Fedora forums (I'm sure they must exist)? If this issue started after an update and is indeed due to this update, then you are probably not alone. Maybe someone already found a solution, or maybe a correction is being prepared?

That said, your error can also be the result of a change in the database software, even something stupid as a version change that implies that the server has to be started using a different path.

Akonadi not operational (solved?) (was: Re: Adonadi not operational)

Randy Kramer
Just changing the name so this thread can be found.  IIUC, the issue is now
resolved?

On Saturday, June 29, 2019 01:53:12 PM Sid Hymes wrote:
> Again, thanks to all for your suggestions. I had to set "StartServer=false"
> because once I start Akonadi get repeated screen dumps along the lines of
> this:
> org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Starting up the Akonadi Server...

Re: Adonadi not operational

René J.V. Bertin
On Saturday June 29 2019 13:15:51 Sid Hymes wrote:

Replying through the list to show this issue is NOT solved.

>Interestingly, I do find mysql processes running, including one relating to
>akonadi:
>ps aux | grep mysqld
>mysql     1237  0.0  1.0 1216672 169560 ?      Ssl  08:09   0:15
>/usr/libexec/mysqld --basedir=/usr
>sid       3154  0.0  0.6 2592608 104272 ?      Sl   09:00   0:14
>/usr/libexec/mysqld
>--defaults-file=/home/sid/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf
>--datadir=/home/sid/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/
>--socket=/tmp/akonadi-sid.T04dCL/mysql.socket
>--pid-file=/tmp/akonadi-sid.T04dCL/mysql.pid

Does that mysqld process keep running indefinitely after akonadi crashed/stopped? I presume you already rebooted at least once after noticing this issue? Do you have kontact to start automatically when you log in?

Still, it won't hurt to kill that instance (with akonadi stopped) and then start akonadi manually from a terminal, without starting any clients like Kontact. It might even be a good idea to uncheck the Calendar/"Display events" option in the Digital Clock Settings (the clock/date widget in the panel, normally next to the systray area). The idea would be to start akonadi in idle mode.

>When I start up akonadi, it does crash and provide the crash report window.
>However, it always says the backtrace has no usable information. (To make
>matters worse, the fedora bug reporter needs files which dnf says are not
>available.) Very frustrating!

This is something you should definitely report to Fedora. In the meantime, does this distro offer a possibility to install packages from sources? If so you should be able to figure out how to include the -g option to the compiler (and linker) options; then the crash reporter should get the required information.

R.