Amarok don't rip cd's

Jan van der Linden
Good day,

Using amarok with Linux Mint KDE version 18.1 I cannot rip a cd.

Right clicking the cd I choose copy tot local disk.

There apears an othe screen and blow in that screen I click OK.

Ripping should tak place, but no nothing happens

I use Amarok 2.8.0 and KDE 4.14.22 dutch version.

According to manuals from Internet is the prcedure right.

What do I wrong? Or is there something else wrong?

With regards,

Jan van der Linden

Re: Amarok don't rip cd's

Myriam Schweingruber
Hi Jan,

On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 3:36 PM, Jan van der Linden <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good day,
>

> Using amarok with Linux Mint KDE version 18.1 I cannot rip a cd.
>
> Right clicking the cd I choose copy tot local disk.
>
> There apears an othe screen and blow in that screen I click OK.
>
> Ripping should tak place, but no nothing happens
>
> I use Amarok 2.8.0 and KDE 4.14.22 dutch version.
>
> According to manuals from Internet is the prcedure right.
>
> What do I wrong? Or is there something else wrong?

Probably nothing, but the version you are using has a bug making
ripping CDs impossible.
Anyway, Amarok is not a good tool to rip CDs as it proceeds quite
slow, this is done much better and faster with K3b. If you add the
ripped files to the same location where your collection already is
(e.g. in a subfolder of it), Amarok will pick them up automatically.

Regards, Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org

Re: Amarok don't rip cd's

Alex Schuster
Myriam Schweingruber wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 3:36 PM, Jan van der Linden <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Using amarok with Linux Mint KDE version 18.1 I cannot rip a cd.
[...]
>> What do I wrong? Or is there something else wrong?
>
> Probably nothing, but the version you are using has a bug making
> ripping CDs impossible.
> Anyway, Amarok is not a good tool to rip CDs as it proceeds quite
> slow, this is done much better and faster with K3b. If you add the
> ripped files to the same location where your collection already is
> (e.g. in a subfolder of it), Amarok will pick them up automatically.

Another great KDE utility for this is SoundKonverter. I had some small
annoyances with K3b, like that it would not remember the export path -
but I did not upgrade my Linux in years, so this might be much better
now. Still, SoundKonverter is nice, simple, easy, might be worth a try.

        Wonko