Anyone else having kmail and akonadi crash on logout?

Anyone else having kmail and akonadi crash on logout?

Erik Quaeghebeur
Hi,

Kmail and akonadi are crashing on me every time I log out (so session end
or computer shutdown). This has been going on for a while now and many bug
reports have been opened and closed about it. I thought that a recent fix
should've eliminated this from 19.04 versions. However, for me at least, it
hasn't. Before I create new bug reports, I'm curious to know whether others
also have this issue.

Setup:

* kmail & akonadi 19.04.03
* frameworks 5.60.0
* Qt 5.12.3

All on Gentoo (stable).

Best,

Erik

Re: Anyone else having kmail and akonadi crash on logout?

Matthias Müller
Hallo Erik Quaeghebeur

Am Dienstag, 20. August 2019, 21:47:41 CEST schrieb Erik Quaeghebeur:
> Hi,
>

> Kmail and akonadi are crashing on me every time I log out
Snip
Same here, no bug reports filed

> Setup:
>
> * kmail & akonadi 19.04.03
> * frameworks 5.60.0
> * Qt 5.12.3
Kontact Version 5.9.3 don't know how this goes together with your veriosn
Akonadi 0.99 same here

KDE Frameworks 5.54.0
Qt 5.11.3

> All on Gentoo (stable).
Debian 10 "Buster" Stable, brand new installed
Never realized on Debian 9.x "Stretch"

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Matthias Müller

Re: Anyone else having kmail and akonadi crash on logout?

Peter Humphrey-3
On Tuesday, 20 August 2019 20:47:41 BST Erik Quaeghebeur wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Kmail and akonadi are crashing on me every time I log out (so session end
> or computer shutdown). This has been going on for a while now and many bug
> reports have been opened and closed about it. I thought that a recent fix
> should've eliminated this from 19.04 versions. However, for me at least, it
> hasn't. Before I create new bug reports, I'm curious to know whether others
> also have this issue.
>
> Setup:
>
> * kmail & akonadi 19.04.03
> * frameworks 5.60.0
> * Qt 5.12.3
>
> All on Gentoo (stable).

It happened most times here too, until I cleaned everything out and started
again with a clean slate - no historical messages, just a building collection
of new ones. A recent thread discussed this.

Since the fresh start, no problems at all.

Peter.

Gentoo stable system, openrc-0.41.2
gcc 8.3.0, sys-kernel/gentoo-sources 4.19.66
QT 5.12.3, KDE frameworks 5.60.0, KDE plasma 5.15.5
KDE apps 19.04.3 incl KMail 19.04.3 (5.11.3), akonadi 19.04.3
dev-db/mariadb-10.2.22-r1, net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.24.2
x11-drivers/xf86-video-amdgpu 19.0.1
dev-libs/amdgpu-pro-opencl 19.10.785425-r1

Re: Anyone else having kmail and akonadi crash on logout?

René J.V. Bertin
I'm guessing this has to do with the fact that Qt now quits applications using the XCB QPA without giving them much of a chance to exit cleanly?
(Not so many releases ago the QPA actually caused an abort when the X server died). If memory serves me well the traditional way to handle this was via SIGHUP, which did leave applications a bit more margin to exit gracefully.

About dying X servers: it's usually a system choice whether the X server is killed or not when you terminate a session. Does that have any influence here?

R.

On woensdag 21 augustus 2019 09:59:33 CEST, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> I'm guessing this has to do with the fact that Qt now quits
> applications using the XCB QPA without giving them much of a
> chance to exit cleanly?

Hmm, there does seem to be a display server dependency indeed: I did not
get a crash when closing a Wayland session with kmail open.