Quantcast

Attaching to a session from multiple locations

Attaching to a session from multiple locations

Michael Hirsch
I have a linux box running freenx.  I can connect to it from home, or
from work, but I get different sessions.  I'd like to be able to
connect from home and get the same session I had from work.

When I connect, I can see the other session, but it is greyed out and
not available for me to choose.

What is causing this?  How can I pick up the same session from
different locations?

Thanks,

Michael

Re: Attaching to a session from multiple locations

vsp_123
As far as I know, this really only works if you are using the same
client (not just OS). But actually this (suspend/resume) works for me
fine from my Mac OS X NX client and my VMWare Windows image NX client.

Prakash

On Feb 6, 2008, at 12:01 AM, Michael Hirsch wrote:

> I have a linux box running freenx.  I can connect to it from home, or
> from work, but I get different sessions.  I'd like to be able to
> connect from home and get the same session I had from work.
>
> When I connect, I can see the other session, but it is greyed out and
> not available for me to choose.
>
> What is causing this?  How can I pick up the same session from
> different locations?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael

Re: Attaching to a session from multiple locations

Terje Andersen
On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 01:13 -0500, Prakash Velayutham wrote:
> As far as I know, this really only works if you are using the same
> client (not just OS). But actually this (suspend/resume) works for me
> fine from my Mac OS X NX client and my VMWare Windows image NX client.

IIRC, the sessions need to have the same color depth/geometry to make
this work. Since I don't use the nxlibs >2.x, I might be wrong regarding
this.

Here's an earlier discussion (which might be outdated) on this topic
from this ML:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=freenx-knx&m=113279989812459&w=2

        /Terje

On Feb 8, 2008 10:32 AM, Terje Andersen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 01:13 -0500, Prakash Velayutham wrote:
> > As far as I know, this really only works if you are using the same
> > client (not just OS). But actually this (suspend/resume) works for me
> > fine from my Mac OS X NX client and my VMWare Windows image NX client.
>
> IIRC, the sessions need to have the same color depth/geometry to make
> this work. Since I don't use the nxlibs >2.x, I might be wrong regarding
> this.

This may be it.  One of my systems is in 24 bit and the other in 32.
AFAIK these end up being identical (at least in X) but it must be a
technical hurdle that can't be overcome by NX.  I'll see if I can get
it to work in 16 bit.

I'm also using Windows for one client and Linux for another, which
could make a difference.

Thanks,

Michael