Default proxy settings

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Default proxy settings

CLOSE Dave
I know how to change the system proxy settings for an individual user.
But I need to learn how to set them for all users, even users who
haven't yet logged in to a box and don't yet have a home directory.
There must be a configuration file somewhere where KDE stores these
values. Online searches haven't found anything useful, just detailed
instructions for what I already know. Perhaps I haven't yet found a good
set of search terms...
--
Dave Close
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Default proxy settings

Duncan-42
CLOSE Dave posted on Fri, 07 Apr 2017 14:31:11 -0700 as excerpted:

> I know how to change the system proxy settings for an individual user.
> But I need to learn how to set them for all users, even users who
> haven't yet logged in to a box and don't yet have a home directory.
> There must be a configuration file somewhere where KDE stores these
> values. Online searches haven't found anything useful, just detailed
> instructions for what I already know. Perhaps I haven't yet found a good
> set of search terms...

This is a general answer applicable to most kde ecosystem configuration
settings, not specifically to proxy settings, but it's likely to suffice.

Generally, kde system or application configuration settings can be stored
in two (or more) parallel places, the system/distro location, and the
user location.  (More would split the distro and local-system level
locations, with user normally overriding local-system, overriding general
distro or kde shipped defaults, except for locked-down settings, of
course, see the documentation listed below.)

I believe most distros install the distro/system level config under
a /usr/share default, but that's configurable via XDG_* variables
(frameworks5, KDE_* vars in kde4), which as mentioned allow stacking as
many configuration levels and their precedence, as necessary.

Generally what I'd do and what should be easiest for most admins, is to
configure it for a sample user, then take the resulting config file from
their home config, edit it if necessary, and drop it in the system
location as appropriate.

See the kde sysdamin's guide, here:

https://userbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration

In particular, you'll likely want to read or at least skim all three
pages under filesystem, plus the environmental vars page under desktop
session.  Of course if you're like me, you'll end up reading much more
than that just because it's interesting how it all fits together, but
that should pretty well cover this case and others like it.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
"Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Default proxy settings

CLOSE Dave
I wrote:

> I know how to change the system proxy settings for an individual
> user. But I need to learn how to set them for all users, even users
> who haven't yet logged in to a box and don't yet have a home
> directory. There must be a configuration file somewhere where KDE
> stores these values. Online searches haven't found anything useful,
> just detailed instructions for what I already know. Perhaps I haven't
> yet found a good set of search terms...

On 04/07/17 22:41, Duncan wrote:

> Generally what I'd do and what should be easiest for most admins, is
> to configure it for a sample user, then take the resulting config
> file from their home config, edit it if necessary, and drop it in the
> system location as appropriate.
>
> See the kde sysdamin's guide, here:
>
> https://userbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration

Thanks for that suggestion. I found the answer in kioslaverc.

But, contrary to the referenced manual, that file appears in either
~/.config or /usr/share/config on my systems (Fedora), not under ~/.kde
or /usr/share/kde as the manual indicates.
--
Dave Close, Thales InFlyt Experience, Irvine California USA.
cell +1 949 394 2124, [hidden email]

  "Management is doing things right;
   leadership is doing the right things." -- Peter Drucker
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Default proxy settings

Duncan-42
CLOSE Dave posted on Mon, 24 Apr 2017 15:41:32 -0700 as excerpted:

>> https://userbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration
>
> Thanks for that suggestion. I found the answer in kioslaverc.
>
> But, contrary to the referenced manual, that file appears in either
> ~/.config or /usr/share/config on my systems (Fedora), not under ~/.kde
> or /usr/share/kde as the manual indicates.

The config locations are the default XDG (aka freedesktop.org) locations,
which is what plasma5 and kde-frameworks5 normally uses.  The kde
locations are legacy from older kde (2 and 3 at least, don't know if it
goes back to 1) that was still in use in kde4, as it was under
development roughly concurrently with the XDG specs and thus couldn't yet
really standardize on them.

So basically now days you look in both locations, depending on whether
what you're looking for has been frameworks5 updated or is still legacy
kde4.

Which is more or less what I posted, and what the kde docs say as well...

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
"Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman