FYI: Petition for Microsoft to support OpenDocument

FYI: Petition for Microsoft to support OpenDocument

Jaroslaw Staniek-2
Hello KOffice users!

* Microsoft has stated that they will support the OpenDocument format in MS
Office if there is customer demand:

The purpose of this petition is to quantify the customer demand for
OpenDocument support.

* There are already over 6000 signatures with more than 190000 computers.

* You can sign it here:

   http://opendocumentfellowship.org/petition/

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska

Re: FYI: Petition for Microsoft to support OpenDocument

Alejandro Exojo-2
El Lunes, 31 de Octubre de 2005 11:34, Jarosław Staniek escribió:
> Hello KOffice users!
>
> * Microsoft has stated that they will support the OpenDocument format in MS
> Office if there is customer demand:
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20051016105739574
>
> The purpose of this petition is to quantify the customer demand for
> OpenDocument support.

Just an innocent question:

Do you think it is really a good idea to have OpenDocument in MS Office? I'm
thinking in the "embrace and extend" strategy. It will suck if they figure
how to add "bugs" that make their files look different in different office
suites.

And I say "bugs", because many people think that the way box problem with the
CSS rendering of IE, is intentional, to make web pages look different in one
browser or another.

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) - GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2
http://darkshines.net/ - Jabber ID: [hidden email]

Re: FYI: Petition for Microsoft to support OpenDocument

Merlin-TC (Bugzilla)
On Thursday 03 November 2005 12:13, Alejandro Exojo wrote:

> Just an innocent question:
>
> Do you think it is really a good idea to have OpenDocument in MS Office?
> I'm thinking in the "embrace and extend" strategy. It will suck if they
> figure how to add "bugs" that make their files look different in different
> office suites.
>
> And I say "bugs", because many people think that the way box problem with
> the CSS rendering of IE, is intentional, to make web pages look different
> in one browser or another.

I think it is a good thing and encourage it.
I don't think many people don't like Microsoft and their strategy yet it's
wrong to just answer with hatred and say everything what Microsoft does is
bad.

We should keep in mind that they are a money oriented company, it's all about
business and want to keep their market share (who wouldn't).

So for us OpenSource people it would have so many advantages since we could
just save it as Open Document and send it to all people and we would be sure
they could open it in their Office Suite even though it is from Microsoft.

Over time people might realize that other free Office Suites are just as
powerful and have advantages.
It's all about choice and so people are free to choose Microsoft products.

Of course we should let them know that there actually are other Office
Suites :)

Alejandro Exojo said the following, On 2005-11-03 12:13:

> El Lunes, 31 de Octubre de 2005 11:34, Jarosław Staniek escribió:
>
>>Hello KOffice users!
>>
>>* Microsoft has stated that they will support the OpenDocument format in MS
>>Office if there is customer demand:
>>
>>http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20051016105739574
>>
>>The purpose of this petition is to quantify the customer demand for
>>OpenDocument support.
>

> Just an innocent question:
>
> Do you think it is really a good idea to have OpenDocument in MS Office? I'm
> thinking in the "embrace and extend" strategy. It will suck if they figure
> how to add "bugs" that make their files look different in different office
> suites.

What you're proposing is more or less: isolationism. You can play isolationism
in parallel a world where you are enjoing 90%+ market share with your format :)

Open standards are designed for use by everyone. Everybody here know about
embrace-and-extend dirty tactics developed by MS.

But don't forget that with ODF you will be able to stand up and say to your
software evendors: ODF support is poor in MS apps, while our organization
depends on it. Improve it and back here _or_ go away.

For now you have _no_ such ability. MS has its super-dirty super-secret set of
"memory dump" binary formats + a set of "open as long as you buy us" XML specs
(I've seen that these do not even support styles!).
Customers from government who are in process of migration to MS XML, being in
trouble, keep sending XML files and asking to company I work for:

<citation>
They - We are unable to open that with OpenOffice, what to do?
Me   - OpenOffice supports OpenDocument XML and (old) properietary binary
        formats
They - Oh. Isn't OpenOffice XML the same ad MS "Open" XML?
Me   - No, it's entirely different thing
They - Then, we were fooled by somebody.
</citation>

Summing up: wait a few months more with ODF not being available (read:
familiar) to everyone and people will forget about it. MS will be able to push
its own 100% controled XML much easier.
I could see a reason to push ODF to MS as a way to cause MS completely
dropping proprietary MS XML.

The petiton is not the only way, I would equally much (or even more) like to
see _small_, _robust_ plugin for reading/writing ODF by MS Office.

 > And I say "bugs", because many people think that the way box problem with the
 > CSS rendering of IE, is intentional, to make web pages look different in one
 > browser or another.

It's a bit different story:
- HTML/CSS code is usually generated by humans. ODF is machine-generated.
Humans are lazy, they need to work harder (e.g. thing more intensive) if they
want to comply with w3c standards. OTOH, ODF support can be fixed once per
application.
- HTML/CSS is most usually used as read-only data. A single ODF file can be
edited by multiple people on different platforms and software versions. For
read-only solutions, we're still comfortable with PDF.

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska
  Kexi Developer: