How do you start your KDE session?

Jerome Yuzyk-2
How do you start your KDE session?

I'm talking post-Login, after KDE has settled and you're looking at a fresh
session.

I don't like to boot my desktop any more than I have to since, being a
desktop, it's supposed to be on kinda like an appliance. Anything less than a
couple months' uptime is annoying if I don't have to reboot for a kernel/KDE
upgrade.

Plus, I run 3 virtual desktops that each can have multiple windows, and many
of those windows have multiple tabs.

I know KDE can save and restart Sessions, and browsers can save and re-open
tab clusters. I disabled Session restart because I accumulate a lot of open
stuff and I don't want _all_ of it to re-open, and definitely not in
conjunction with KDE starting. I've looked at manually saving a Session but
haven't tried it out because - I don't like rebooting lots.

But I'd like to be able to craft something that opens up the things I usually
open when I start, and I'm thinking out loud to this list. I'm more inclined
to a scripted solution, but other ways to collect and minimize all the
clicking you do would be interesting too.

Re: How do you start your KDE session?

René J.V. Bertin
On Saturday April 27 2019 14:30:55 Jerome Yuzyk wrote:

>How do you start your KDE session?

>But I'd like to be able to craft something that opens up the things I usually
>open when I start, and I'm thinking out loud to this list. I'm more inclined
>to a scripted solution, but other ways to collect and minimize all the
>clicking you do would be interesting too.

Sounds like what I do. In the session management KCM where you disabled the "restore previous option" you also have the option to "restore manually saved session" (or at least you had, under KDE4/Plasma4). If you tick this, the default kicker/launcher panel widget (a.k.a. "start menu") gets a new option along the options to log off, restart, suspend etc: to save the current session.

This allows you to set up a session as you want, save it, and then see it restored each time you log in as far as KDE is capable, no matter what kind of crud you had open when you logged off.
The Startup/Shutdown settings group also has a KCM where you can configure scripts that should be started when you log in (or off), for any applications that don't support session management, or things that only need to be run once.

There's also a hook somewhere to replace KWin in case you want something with a smaller footprint (or better looking window decorations).

R.

Re: How do you start your KDE session?

Francesco Porro-2
On sabato 27 aprile 2019 22:30:55 CEST Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> I know KDE can save and restart Sessions, and browsers can save and
> re-open tab clusters. I disabled Session restart because I accumulate
> a lot of open stuff and I don't want _all_ of it to re-open, and
> definitely not in conjunction with KDE starting. I've looked at
> manually saving a Session but haven't tried it out because - I don't
> like rebooting lots.

It seems that "Saved sessions" feature is really crafted for your needs.

1- open *only* those apps you need to open up on sessions start
2- choose "Restore previous session" from "Desktop session" on System
settings
3- go to the Leave menu and save that session

you're done!

You don't need to reboot, just log out and log back in.