How to change user icon at top of Application Launcher's menu?

How to change user icon at top of Application Launcher's menu?

Mark Knecht
Hi,
   An update to KDE on my Gentoo machine yesterday has changed the
icon that shows up to the left of my name at the top of Application
Launcher menu. I'm sure it's unintended but I find the icon insulting
and would like to change it. How can I change this icon back to the
Sad Cyclops icon, or better yet one of my choice, that appeared there
before this update?

   If I click on the icon I get the User Manager from System Settings.
On the left it says "New User" and on the right there is a place to
edit what I suspect is the icon area but changing it doesn't change
the icon I see here. Sadly clicking on Help at the bottom returns the
message "The file or Folder help:/ does not exist" so possibly
Gentoo's build has excluded this by default. The Help system for
Plasma has a section for the Application Launcher but I don't find
instructions for this problem.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Re: How to change user icon at top of Application Launcher's menu?

Dale-46
Mark Knecht wrote:

> Hi,
>    An update to KDE on my Gentoo machine yesterday has changed the
> icon that shows up to the left of my name at the top of Application
> Launcher menu. I'm sure it's unintended but I find the icon insulting
> and would like to change it. How can I change this icon back to the
> Sad Cyclops icon, or better yet one of my choice, that appeared there
> before this update?
>
>    If I click on the icon I get the User Manager from System Settings.
> On the left it says "New User" and on the right there is a place to
> edit what I suspect is the icon area but changing it doesn't change
> the icon I see here. Sadly clicking on Help at the bottom returns the
> message "The file or Folder help:/ does not exist" so possibly
> Gentoo's build has excluded this by default. The Help system for
> Plasma has a section for the Application Launcher but I don't find
> instructions for this problem.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mark

I think I know what you are talking about but am not sure.  If it is
what I think, System Setting, Account Details under Personalizations,
then on the left User Manager.  You should be able to click on the user
icon and get some options.  It used to be in another section but guess
it got moved, which may be why you couldn't find it.

If that isn't what you are talking about, no clue.

Dale

:-)  :-)

Re: How to change user icon at top of Application Launcher's menu?

Mark Knecht
Hi Dale,
   Thank you for the response. That dialog area appears to be the same
one I get to directly by clicking on the offending icon that resides
at the top of the Application Launcher menu. Choosing the icon at the
right allows me to choose a new one from a gallery, but only
(apparently) for a new user. Changing it does not effect my account.

   Possibly this is a lack of documentation issue but there are
already user accounts on this machine and none of those existing users
show up on the left. All it says is 'New User'. Possibly I can create
a 'mark' user and then possibly KDE will change the icon associated
with my account but I'm uncertain and don't want to just play around
and create problems.

   Again, thanks for the response.

Cheers,
Mark

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 4:42 PM, Dale <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mark Knecht wrote:
>> Hi,
>>    An update to KDE on my Gentoo machine yesterday has changed the
>> icon that shows up to the left of my name at the top of Application
>> Launcher menu. I'm sure it's unintended but I find the icon insulting
>> and would like to change it. How can I change this icon back to the
>> Sad Cyclops icon, or better yet one of my choice, that appeared there
>> before this update?
>>
>>    If I click on the icon I get the User Manager from System Settings.
>> On the left it says "New User" and on the right there is a place to
>> edit what I suspect is the icon area but changing it doesn't change
>> the icon I see here. Sadly clicking on Help at the bottom returns the
>> message "The file or Folder help:/ does not exist" so possibly
>> Gentoo's build has excluded this by default. The Help system for
>> Plasma has a section for the Application Launcher but I don't find
>> instructions for this problem.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Mark
>>

> I think I know what you are talking about but am not sure.  If it is
> what I think, System Setting, Account Details under Personalizations,
> then on the left User Manager.  You should be able to click on the user
> icon and get some options.  It used to be in another section but guess
> it got moved, which may be why you couldn't find it.
>
> If that isn't what you are talking about, no clue.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Re: How to change user icon at top of Application Launcher's menu?

Dale-46
Hi,

I didn't try to change mine last time but I did just now.  Does it ask
you for your root password when you try to change it?  It does here.  If
it doesn't there, it may be a permissions issue.

You should be able to run systemsettings5 as root and change it that
way, if it doesn't ask when you click apply.

I seem to recall you run Gentoo.  Maybe it is a USE flag or missing
package???

Dale

:-)  :-)

Mark Knecht wrote:

> Hi Dale,
>    Thank you for the response. That dialog area appears to be the same
> one I get to directly by clicking on the offending icon that resides
> at the top of the Application Launcher menu. Choosing the icon at the
> right allows me to choose a new one from a gallery, but only
> (apparently) for a new user. Changing it does not effect my account.
>
>    Possibly this is a lack of documentation issue but there are
> already user accounts on this machine and none of those existing users
> show up on the left. All it says is 'New User'. Possibly I can create
> a 'mark' user and then possibly KDE will change the icon associated
> with my account but I'm uncertain and don't want to just play around
> and create problems.
>
>    Again, thanks for the response.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark
>

> On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 4:42 PM, Dale <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>    An update to KDE on my Gentoo machine yesterday has changed the
>>> icon that shows up to the left of my name at the top of Application
>>> Launcher menu. I'm sure it's unintended but I find the icon insulting
>>> and would like to change it. How can I change this icon back to the
>>> Sad Cyclops icon, or better yet one of my choice, that appeared there
>>> before this update?
>>>
>>>    If I click on the icon I get the User Manager from System Settings.
>>> On the left it says "New User" and on the right there is a place to
>>> edit what I suspect is the icon area but changing it doesn't change
>>> the icon I see here. Sadly clicking on Help at the bottom returns the
>>> message "The file or Folder help:/ does not exist" so possibly
>>> Gentoo's build has excluded this by default. The Help system for
>>> Plasma has a section for the Application Launcher but I don't find
>>> instructions for this problem.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Mark
>>>

>> I think I know what you are talking about but am not sure.  If it is
>> what I think, System Setting, Account Details under Personalizations,
>> then on the left User Manager.  You should be able to click on the user
>> icon and get some options.  It used to be in another section but guess
>> it got moved, which may be why you couldn't find it.
>>
>> If that isn't what you are talking about, no clue.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)

Re: How to change user icon at top of Application Launcher's menu?

Mark Knecht
Hello again,
   Yes, mine asked me for root password which I gave. It also went
through a weird step where after I chose a better icon it told me to
drag it to a place of interest but there wasn't anything specific to
drag. Just a really big window with the icon I chose in the middle.

   I'll give it a try as root. Did yours actually have your user
account in the list? Mine did not.

   Gentoo=yes, missing package=no assuming portage properly keeps
track of things, USE flag=who knows? It's Gentoo after all.

Mark

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 2:52 PM, Dale <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I didn't try to change mine last time but I did just now.  Does it ask
> you for your root password when you try to change it?  It does here.  If
> it doesn't there, it may be a permissions issue.
>
> You should be able to run systemsettings5 as root and change it that
> way, if it doesn't ask when you click apply.
>
> I seem to recall you run Gentoo.  Maybe it is a USE flag or missing
> package???
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)
>

> Mark Knecht wrote:
>> Hi Dale,
>>    Thank you for the response. That dialog area appears to be the same
>> one I get to directly by clicking on the offending icon that resides
>> at the top of the Application Launcher menu. Choosing the icon at the
>> right allows me to choose a new one from a gallery, but only
>> (apparently) for a new user. Changing it does not effect my account.
>>
>>    Possibly this is a lack of documentation issue but there are
>> already user accounts on this machine and none of those existing users
>> show up on the left. All it says is 'New User'. Possibly I can create
>> a 'mark' user and then possibly KDE will change the icon associated
>> with my account but I'm uncertain and don't want to just play around
>> and create problems.
>>
>>    Again, thanks for the response.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark

>>> I think I know what you are talking about but am not sure.  If it is
>>> what I think, System Setting, Account Details under Personalizations,
>>> then on the left User Manager.  You should be able to click on the user
>>> icon and get some options.  It used to be in another section but guess
>>> it got moved, which may be why you couldn't find it.
>>>
>>> If that isn't what you are talking about, no clue.
>>>
>>> Dale
>>>
>>> :-)  :-)

Re: How to change user icon at top of Application Launcher's menu?

Dale-46
Hi,

Well, that's odd.  I got that drag thing to, I ignored it.  It let me
change mine from the gallery thingy.  I selected that happy guy.  :-)

Mine listed dale and dale2.  dale2 is my backup to test weirdness after
a upgrade.  It also listed new user but I didn't go there.

Just for giggles.

[ebuild   R   ~] kde-plasma/systemsettings-5.10.3:5::gentoo  USE="gtk
handbook -classic -debug"

There's not really many USE flag options there.  Hmmmmmm.

Dale

:-)  :-)

Mark Knecht wrote:

> Hello again,
>    Yes, mine asked me for root password which I gave. It also went
> through a weird step where after I chose a better icon it told me to
> drag it to a place of interest but there wasn't anything specific to
> drag. Just a really big window with the icon I chose in the middle.
>
>    I'll give it a try as root. Did yours actually have your user
> account in the list? Mine did not.
>
>    Gentoo=yes, missing package=no assuming portage properly keeps
> track of things, USE flag=who knows? It's Gentoo after all.
>
> Mark
>
> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 2:52 PM, Dale <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I didn't try to change mine last time but I did just now.  Does it ask
>> you for your root password when you try to change it?  It does here.  If
>> it doesn't there, it may be a permissions issue.
>>
>> You should be able to run systemsettings5 as root and change it that
>> way, if it doesn't ask when you click apply.
>>
>> I seem to recall you run Gentoo.  Maybe it is a USE flag or missing
>> package???
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
>>

>> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>> Hi Dale,
>>>    Thank you for the response. That dialog area appears to be the same
>>> one I get to directly by clicking on the offending icon that resides
>>> at the top of the Application Launcher menu. Choosing the icon at the
>>> right allows me to choose a new one from a gallery, but only
>>> (apparently) for a new user. Changing it does not effect my account.
>>>
>>>    Possibly this is a lack of documentation issue but there are
>>> already user accounts on this machine and none of those existing users
>>> show up on the left. All it says is 'New User'. Possibly I can create
>>> a 'mark' user and then possibly KDE will change the icon associated
>>> with my account but I'm uncertain and don't want to just play around
>>> and create problems.
>>>
>>>    Again, thanks for the response.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Mark

Re: How to change user icon at top of Application Launcher's menu?

Mark Knecht
Hi,
   So I tried running as root. This part of KDE doesn't want to update
my account
because it's not a new user.

c2RAID6 ~ # systemsettings5
false
The kwalletd service has been registered
log_user_manager: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown" "The
name org.freedesktop.login1 wa
s not provided by any .service files"
log_user_manager: Starting:
QUrl("file:///usr/share/user-manager/avatars/classic/Green.png")
log_user_manager: From:
QUrl("file:///usr/share/user-manager/avatars/classic/Green.png") to:
"/
tmp/systemsettings.n22130"
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
klauncher not running... launching kdeinit
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
Connecting to deprecated signal
QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QSt
ring)
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
log_user_manager: Avatar created
log_user_manager: Saving on Index:  0
log_user_manager: "org.freedesktop.Accounts.Error.UserExists"
log_user_manager: "A user with name 'mark' already exists"
log_user_manager: Failed Roles:  (AccountModel::Administrator)
c2RAID6 ~ #

   You are using newer ~amd64 stuff so possibly there's something
better about newer. Not
willing to go there however.

c2RAID6 ~ # emerge -pv systemsettings

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] kde-plasma/systemsettings-5.9.5:5::gentoo  USE="gtk
handbook -classic -debug" 0
KiB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 KiB
c2RAID6 ~ #

Cheers,
Mark

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 3:29 PM, Dale <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Well, that's odd.  I got that drag thing to, I ignored it.  It let me
> change mine from the gallery thingy.  I selected that happy guy.  :-)
>
> Mine listed dale and dale2.  dale2 is my backup to test weirdness after
> a upgrade.  It also listed new user but I didn't go there.
>
> Just for giggles.
>
> [ebuild   R   ~] kde-plasma/systemsettings-5.10.3:5::gentoo  USE="gtk
> handbook -classic -debug"
>
> There's not really many USE flag options there.  Hmmmmmm.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)
>

> Mark Knecht wrote:
>> Hello again,
>>    Yes, mine asked me for root password which I gave. It also went
>> through a weird step where after I chose a better icon it told me to
>> drag it to a place of interest but there wasn't anything specific to
>> drag. Just a really big window with the icon I chose in the middle.
>>
>>    I'll give it a try as root. Did yours actually have your user
>> account in the list? Mine did not.
>>
>>    Gentoo=yes, missing package=no assuming portage properly keeps
>> track of things, USE flag=who knows? It's Gentoo after all.
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 2:52 PM, Dale <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I didn't try to change mine last time but I did just now.  Does it ask
>>> you for your root password when you try to change it?  It does here.  If
>>> it doesn't there, it may be a permissions issue.
>>>
>>> You should be able to run systemsettings5 as root and change it that
>>> way, if it doesn't ask when you click apply.
>>>
>>> I seem to recall you run Gentoo.  Maybe it is a USE flag or missing
>>> package???
>>>
>>> Dale
>>>
>>> :-)  :-)

Re: How to change user icon at top of Application Launcher's menu?

Dale-46
Hi,

It looks like that version may have a bug or a unwanted nifty feature.
:-)  Once the newer version hits stable, maybe it will work then.

Let's hope.

Dale

Mark Knecht wrote:

> [...]
>> handbook -classic -debug"
>>
>> There's not really many USE flag options there.  Hmmmmmm.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
>>

>> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>> Hello again,
>>>    Yes, mine asked me for root password which I gave. It also went
>>> through a weird step where after I chose a better icon it told me to
>>> drag it to a place of interest but there wasn't anything specific to
>>> drag. Just a really big window with the icon I chose in the middle.
>>>
>>>    I'll give it a try as root. Did yours actually have your user
>>> account in the list? Mine did not.
>>>
>>>    Gentoo=yes, missing package=no assuming portage properly keeps
>>> track of things, USE flag=who knows? It's Gentoo after all.
>>>
>>> Mark

Re: How to change user icon at top of Application Launcher's menu?

Possibly, or maybe it won't and I'll spend infinite time not
liking my computer.

OK, so taking a more proactive stance, it might possibly be
a permissions problem so let's explore that...

There is an interesting aspect about Linux account permissions
that I'm not finding a definitive answer to. What 'group' should
my user account be set to. If I search the web for a couple of
possibilities, such as

Linux "chown john:john"

and

Linux "chown john:users"

I find examples of both being used, and I know at times I've used
machines that have both versions.

My current machine is, and has been for a long, long time mark:mark for
all files in my /home/mark directory and then mark is a member of users.
All new files in my home directory, or at least everything at the top of it
is created with 'mark:mark'. Possibly KDE's System Settings isn't allowing
me to change the icon because it's hardwired to look for it's file in my
account with 'mark:users' permissions?

How is your machine set up?

mark@c2RAID6 ~ $ groups mark
wheel audio video users cron games vboxusers kvm postgres realtime docker mark
mark@c2RAID6 ~ $

Mark

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 11:10 PM, Dale <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 KiB
>> c2RAID6 ~ #
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 3:29 PM, Dale <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Well, that's odd.  I got that drag thing to, I ignored it.  It let me
>>> change mine from the gallery thingy.  I selected that happy guy.  :-)
>>>
>>> Mine listed dale and dale2.  dale2 is my backup to test weirdness after
>>> a upgrade.  It also listed new user but I didn't go there.
>>>
>>> Just for giggles.
>>>
>>> [ebuild   R   ~] kde-plasma/systemsettings-5.10.3:5::gentoo  USE="gtk
>>> handbook -classic -debug"
>>>
>>> There's not really many USE flag options there.  Hmmmmmm.
>>>
>>> Dale
>>>
>>> :-)  :-)

Re: How to change user icon at top of Application Launcher's menu?

This is mine:

root@fireball / # groups dale
tty lp wheel floppy uucp audio cdrom dialout video cdrw usb users utmp
lpadmin games plugdev scanner nut polkituser wireshark
root@fireball / #

I haven't updated that in a long while.  The fact that floppy is listed
should give you a idea how long.  Heck, this rig doesn't even have a
floppy, or a port for one.  o_O

For files, permissions are like this:

-rw-r--r--  1 dale users

For directories, like this:

drwxr-xr-x  3 dale users

I don't recall changing those so that should be the default.  Just for
giggles.

root@fireball / # ls -al /home/dale/.kde4
total 24
drwx------  6 dale users 4096 Jun 17  2016 .
drwxr-xr-x 87 dale users 4096 Jul  6 16:48 ..
drwxr-xr-x  2 dale users 4096 Jul 16  2014 Autostart
lrwxrwxrwx  1 dale users   22 Jul 16  2014 cache-fireball ->
/var/tmp/kdecache-dale
drwxr-xr-x  2 dale users 4096 Jul 16  2014 env
drwx------  7 dale users 4096 Oct  4  2014 share
drwxr-xr-x  2 dale users 4096 Jul 16  2014 shutdown
lrwxrwxrwx  1 dale users   31 Jun 17  2016 socket-fireball ->
/var/run/user/1000/ksocket-dale
lrwxrwxrwx  1 dale users   13 Jul 16  2014 tmp-fireball -> /tmp/kde-dale
root@fireball / #

root@fireball / # ls -al /home/dale/.config/systemsettingsrc
-rw------- 1 dale users 355 Jul  6 16:48 /home/dale/.config/systemsettingsrc
root@fireball / #

I'm not sure if that will help or not but it might.  ;-)

Dale

Mark Knecht wrote:

> Hi Dale,
>
> Possibly, or maybe it won't and I'll spend infinite time not
> liking my computer.
>
> OK, so taking a more proactive stance, it might possibly be
> a permissions problem so let's explore that...
>
> There is an interesting aspect about Linux account permissions
> that I'm not finding a definitive answer to. What 'group' should
> my user account be set to. If I search the web for a couple of
> possibilities, such as
>
> Linux "chown john:john"
>
> and
>
> Linux "chown john:users"
>
> I find examples of both being used, and I know at times I've used
> machines that have both versions.
>
> My current machine is, and has been for a long, long time mark:mark for
> all files in my /home/mark directory and then mark is a member of users.
> All new files in my home directory, or at least everything at the top of it
> is created with 'mark:mark'. Possibly KDE's System Settings isn't allowing
> me to change the icon because it's hardwired to look for it's file in my
> account with 'mark:users' permissions?
>
> How is your machine set up?
>
> mark@c2RAID6 ~ $ groups mark
> wheel audio video users cron games vboxusers kvm postgres realtime docker mark
> mark@c2RAID6 ~ $
>
> Mark
>

> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 11:10 PM, Dale <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> It looks like that version may have a bug or a unwanted nifty feature.
>> :-)  Once the newer version hits stable, maybe it will work then.
>>
>> Let's hope.
>>
>> Dale
>>

>> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>    So I tried running as root. This part of KDE doesn't want to update
>>> my account
>>> because it's not a new user.
>>>
>>> c2RAID6 ~ # systemsettings5
>>> false
>>> The kwalletd service has been registered
>>> log_user_manager: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown" "The
>>> name org.freedesktop.login1 wa
>>> s not provided by any .service files"
>>> log_user_manager: Starting:
>>> QUrl("file:///usr/share/user-manager/avatars/classic/Green.png")
>>> log_user_manager: From:
>>> QUrl("file:///usr/share/user-manager/avatars/classic/Green.png") to:
>>> "/

On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Dale <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is mine:
>
> root@fireball / # groups dale
> tty lp wheel floppy uucp audio cdrom dialout video cdrw usb users utmp
> lpadmin games plugdev scanner nut polkituser wireshark
> root@fireball / #
>
> I haven't updated that in a long while.  The fact that floppy is listed
> should give you a idea how long.  Heck, this rig doesn't even have a
> floppy, or a port for one.  o_O
>
> For files, permissions are like this:
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 dale users
>
> For directories, like this:
>
> drwxr-xr-x  3 dale users
>
> I don't recall changing those so that should be the default.  Just for
> giggles.
>
> root@fireball / # ls -al /home/dale/.kde4
> total 24
> drwx------  6 dale users 4096 Jun 17  2016 .
> drwxr-xr-x 87 dale users 4096 Jul  6 16:48 ..
> drwxr-xr-x  2 dale users 4096 Jul 16  2014 Autostart
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 dale users   22 Jul 16  2014 cache-fireball ->
> /var/tmp/kdecache-dale
> drwxr-xr-x  2 dale users 4096 Jul 16  2014 env
> drwx------  7 dale users 4096 Oct  4  2014 share
> drwxr-xr-x  2 dale users 4096 Jul 16  2014 shutdown
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 dale users   31 Jun 17  2016 socket-fireball ->
> /var/run/user/1000/ksocket-dale
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 dale users   13 Jul 16  2014 tmp-fireball -> /tmp/kde-dale
> root@fireball / #
>

> root@fireball / # ls -al /home/dale/.config/systemsettingsrc
> -rw------- 1 dale users 355 Jul  6 16:48 /home/dale/.config/systemsettingsrc
> root@fireball / #
>
> I'm not sure if that will help or not but it might.  ;-)
>
> Dale

Hi,
   Bad us. I think we both might have top-posted. ;-)

   Anyway, trimming response, I think that's interesting. As I remember
I changed this myself, to have my default group be jut me. I don't remember
where that's done so I'll have to research that a bit.

   None the less I'm somewhat encouraged.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Dale <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is mine:
>>
>> root@fireball / # groups dale
>> tty lp wheel floppy uucp audio cdrom dialout video cdrw usb users utmp
>> lpadmin games plugdev scanner nut polkituser wireshark
>> root@fireball / #
>>
>> I haven't updated that in a long while.  The fact that floppy is listed
>> should give you a idea how long.  Heck, this rig doesn't even have a
>> floppy, or a port for one.  o_O
>>
>> For files, permissions are like this:
>>
>> -rw-r--r--  1 dale users
>>
>> For directories, like this:
>>
>> drwxr-xr-x  3 dale users
>>
>> I don't recall changing those so that should be the default.  Just for
>> giggles.
>>
>> root@fireball / # ls -al /home/dale/.kde4
>> total 24
>> drwx------  6 dale users 4096 Jun 17  2016 .
>> drwxr-xr-x 87 dale users 4096 Jul  6 16:48 ..
>> drwxr-xr-x  2 dale users 4096 Jul 16  2014 Autostart
>> lrwxrwxrwx  1 dale users   22 Jul 16  2014 cache-fireball ->
>> /var/tmp/kdecache-dale
>> drwxr-xr-x  2 dale users 4096 Jul 16  2014 env
>> drwx------  7 dale users 4096 Oct  4  2014 share
>> drwxr-xr-x  2 dale users 4096 Jul 16  2014 shutdown
>> lrwxrwxrwx  1 dale users   31 Jun 17  2016 socket-fireball ->
>> /var/run/user/1000/ksocket-dale
>> lrwxrwxrwx  1 dale users   13 Jul 16  2014 tmp-fireball -> /tmp/kde-dale
>> root@fireball / #
>>

>> root@fireball / # ls -al /home/dale/.config/systemsettingsrc
>> -rw------- 1 dale users 355 Jul  6 16:48 /home/dale/.config/systemsettingsrc
>> root@fireball / #
>>
>> I'm not sure if that will help or not but it might.  ;-)
>>
>> Dale
>>
> Hi,
>    Bad us. I think we both might have top-posted. ;-)
>
>    Anyway, trimming response, I think that's interesting. As I remember
> I changed this myself, to have my default group be jut me. I don't remember
> where that's done so I'll have to research that a bit.
>
>    None the less I'm somewhat encouraged.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

I thought maybe you were on a device that doesn't play well with bottom
posting so I just went along with it.  Bottom posting does make it
easier to read and follow but since we were conversing pretty quick, it
didn't matter much.  My biggest issue right now, Seamonkey defaults to
only replying to you and not the list, like it has done ever since I
started using it.  So, I have to either remember to select reply to list
or copy and paste the mailing list addy in manually.  Pisses me off.

I suspect it is either a permission issue or the newer version I'm
running has a bug fix in it that yours is lacking.  Time will tell I guess.

Dale

:-)  :-)