How to split the page vertically into two equal parts

How to split the page vertically into two equal parts

Dotan Cohen
I need to split a page vertically into two equal parts. I tried doing
this with a table, but it seems that one cannot control the height of
the rows manually by page percent. So how should I split the page?

Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Re: How to split the page vertically into two equal parts

Bugzilla from zander@kde.org
On Friday 2. July 2010 15.04.10 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I need to split a page vertically into two equal parts. I tried doing
> this with a table, but it seems that one cannot control the height of
> the rows manually by page percent. So how should I split the page?

Hey Dotan,

a solution that you may not have thought of but works pretty nicely is to have
two text frames on your page.

If you create a blank document using the 'Custom Document' part of the startup
dialog you can just remove the main text area and after you created a blank
page you can insert two text shapes.

On inserting your text shape you get the question if you want to connect to a
frameset. If you want to have different independent text in the top and bottom
parts, you should create individual framesets.

On the "Options" tab of the frame properites make sure you have "If frame
overflows" -> "Create a new page" selected.

Hope that helps :)
--
Thomas Zander

Re: How to split the page vertically into two equal parts

Anne Wilson-2
On Monday 05 July 2010 22:26:16 Thomas Zander wrote:

> On Friday 2. July 2010 15.04.10 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I need to split a page vertically into two equal parts. I tried doing
> > this with a table, but it seems that one cannot control the height of
> > the rows manually by page percent. So how should I split the page?
>
> Hey Dotan,
>
> a solution that you may not have thought of but works pretty nicely is to
> have two text frames on your page.
>
> If you create a blank document using the 'Custom Document' part of the
> startup dialog you can just remove the main text area and after you
> created a blank page you can insert two text shapes.
>
> On inserting your text shape you get the question if you want to connect
> a frameset. If you want to have different independent text in the top and
> bottom parts, you should create individual framesets.
>
> On the "Options" tab of the frame properites make sure you have "If frame
> overflows" -> "Create a new page" selected.
>
> Hope that helps :)

Thomas, Dotan writes right to left, so that could be a problem, couldn't it?

Anne
Anne
Just found a cool new feature?  Add it to UserBase

On Monday 5. July 2010 23.44.36 Anne Wilson wrote:

> On Monday 05 July 2010 22:26:16 Thomas Zander wrote:
> > On Friday 2. July 2010 15.04.10 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > > I need to split a page vertically into two equal parts. I tried doing
> > > this with a table, but it seems that one cannot control the height of
> > > the rows manually by page percent. So how should I split the page?
> >
> > Hey Dotan,
> >
> > a solution that you may not have thought of but works pretty nicely is to
> > have two text frames on your page.
> >
> > If you create a blank document using the 'Custom Document' part of the
> > startup dialog you can just remove the main text area and after you
> > created a blank page you can insert two text shapes.
> >
> > On inserting your text shape you get the question if you want to connect

> > a frameset. If you want to have different independent text in the top and
> > bottom parts, you should create individual framesets.
> >
> > On the "Options" tab of the frame properites make sure you have "If frame
> > overflows" -> "Create a new page" selected.
> >
> > Hope that helps :)
>
> Thomas, Dotan writes right to left, so that could be a problem, couldn't
> it?

Right to left is fully supported, so it should not lead to problems as far as I
can tell.
--
Thomas Zander

On 6 July 2010 00:26, Thomas Zander <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Friday 2. July 2010 15.04.10 Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> I need to split a page vertically into two equal parts. I tried doing
>> this with a table, but it seems that one cannot control the height of
>> the rows manually by page percent. So how should I split the page?
>
> Hey Dotan,
>
> a solution that you may not have thought of but works pretty nicely is to have
> two text frames on your page.

All right, lets try that. I don't have the Koffice Handbook installed
and I cannot seem to install it, and online I only found the Handbook
for version 1.x. So please excuse me for not RTFM, I cannot find it!

> If you create a blank document using the 'Custom Document' part of the startup
> dialog

Done.

> you can just remove the main text area

I tried all the menus and right clicking, how is it removed?

> and after you created a blank
> page you can insert two text shapes.

I did manage to drag a text shape _onto_ the existing blank document
but clicking and doubleclicking on it won't let me type in it. There
was Loren Ipsum text in there when it appeared, it's gone now.

> On inserting your text shape you get the question if you want to connect to a
> frameset. If you want to have different independent text in the top and bottom
> parts, you should create individual framesets.

Yes, I created a new frameset., whatever a frameset is.

On 6 July 2010 00:44, Anne Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thomas, Dotan writes right to left, so that could be a problem, couldn't it?

Thanks, Anne! In the meantime I am just trying to learn to use Kword
at all, even in an LTR language such as English.

On 6 July 2010 01:19, Thomas Zander <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Right to left is fully supported, so it should not lead to problems as far as I
> can tell.

If it does, I will be sure to mention it here or to file bugs as
necessary. Thanks.

On Tuesday 6. July 2010 08.31.44 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 6 July 2010 00:26, Thomas Zander <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > If you create a blank document using the 'Custom Document' part of the
> > startup dialog
>
> Done.
>
> > you can just remove the main text area
>
> I tried all the menus and right clicking, how is it removed?

in the 'custom document' area for the startup dialog you can uncheck the
checkbox to have a main text area. Uncheck that before clicking 'create'.
Notice that this is before getting to the window state where you see the blank
page.

--
Thomas Zander

Re: How to split the page vertically into two equal parts

Bugzilla from zander@kde.org
On Friday 2. July 2010 15.04.10 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I need to split a page vertically into two equal parts. I tried doing
> this with a table, but it seems that one cannot control the height of
> the rows manually by page percent. So how should I split the page?

I got a heads-up that I may have been confused due to a language issue;
splitting a page vertically I interpreted to mean top and bottom.  Which this
may very well mean left and right.

For left/right splitting, what about using columns? Thats easy to do in the
same startup dialog for custom documents.
--
Thomas Zander

On 6 July 2010 09:43, Thomas Zander <[hidden email]> wrote:
> in the 'custom document' area for the startup dialog you can uncheck the
> checkbox to have a main text area. Uncheck that before clicking 'create'.
> Notice that this is before getting to the window state where you see the blank
> page.

Thanks, Thomas, that got me a new document with no textarea, as
expected. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this
framesets idea, it doesn't seem to work like the HTML frames that I
was expecting.

Under the Frames menu item I do not see how to add a new frame. So
from the sidebar I drag Styles -> Add Shape -> Text to the main body.
Is this the recommended procedure? Doing this, it is impossible to
accurately split the page into top- and bottom- half. The mouse does
not offer such precision, and one cannot graphically resize with the
mouse after placement. I tried editing the frames' Geometry ->
Position however it does not resize in realtime. How would you
recommend that I accomplish this?

Thanks, I apologise for asking for hand-holding, but there is no
documentation, I find it unintuitive, and this is an easy procedure in
competing, well-established office suites.

On 7 July 2010 18:06,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I got a heads-up that I may have been confused due to a language issue;
> splitting a page vertically I interpreted to mean top and bottom.  Which this
> may very well mean left and right.
>
> For left/right splitting, what about using columns? Thats easy to do in the
> same startup dialog for custom documents.

I apologise, English is not my first language. By splitting
vertically, I mean that the two halves will be one upon the other.
This is similar to how Screen and Vim split vertically.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com