Quantcast

[KDE Usability] Okular Mockup

Manuel E. Gutierrez

Hi everyone,

A few months ago I made up this mockup for Okular, send it to Albert and
he told me to discuss it here, so here it is. As you can appreciate, it
favors reading space, trying to spend as little as possible in toolbars.

In relation to shortcuts, I propose to set up those on the image, maybe
as alternate first, to avoid surprising the user. But seriously, IMHO
current shortcuts are awful, there's no need for a Ctrl+Shift+F when
everyone is expecting just F.

Regards, Manuel.

http://www.uci.cu
http://www.facebook.com/universidad.uci

UX Mockup.png (576K) Download Attachment

Re: [KDE Usability] Okular Mockup

Aurélien Gâteau-2
Le lundi 18 juin 2012 09:29:02 Manuel E. Gutierrez a écrit :
> Hi everyone,
>
> A few months ago I made up this mockup for Okular, send it to Albert and
> he told me to discuss it here, so here it is. As you can appreciate, it
> favors reading space, trying to spend as little as possible in toolbars.

I like the idea of giving more vertical space to the content. I assume the
green overlay is just there to highlight changes, you do not expect those
areas to look green, right?

I think the order in the toolbar could be improved: it feels odd to start with
pagebar toggle buttons. I wonder if it would not look better with the green
part top aligned in the toolbar and the pagebar buttons bottom aligned.

Moving the page count widget below the pagebar makes sense as well, but you
probably want an alternative solution when pagebar is hidden. Maybe an overlay
bar in the bottom-left corner of the window.

> In relation to shortcuts, I propose to set up those on the image, maybe
> as alternate first, to avoid surprising the user. But seriously, IMHO
> current shortcuts are awful, there's no need for a Ctrl+Shift+F when
> everyone is expecting just F.

I don't like much ctrl+shift+F either, but I'd rather change the default
fullscreen shortcut to something else (F11 is quite common) than have every
application define alternate shortcuts.

Aurélien

On 23/06/12 17:38, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> Le lundi 18 juin 2012 09:29:02 Manuel E. Gutierrez a écrit :
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> A few months ago I made up this mockup for Okular, send it to Albert and
>> he told me to discuss it here, so here it is. As you can appreciate, it
>> favors reading space, trying to spend as little as possible in toolbars.
> I like the idea of giving more vertical space to the content. I assume the
> green overlay is just there to highlight changes, you do not expect those
> areas to look green, right?
Yes, you assume right. ;)

> I think the order in the toolbar could be improved: it feels odd to start with
> pagebar toggle buttons. I wonder if it would not look better with the green
> part top aligned in the toolbar and the pagebar buttons bottom aligned.
Something like mockup no. 2?  (if image size is too big and annoys
someone I could use jpg, just picked png for the quality)

> Moving the page count widget below the pagebar makes sense as well, but you
> probably want an alternative solution when pagebar is hidden. Maybe an overlay
> bar in the bottom-left corner of the window.

I like this, good  idea.
>> In relation to shortcuts, I propose to set up those on the image, maybe
>> as alternate first, to avoid surprising the user. But seriously, IMHO
>> current shortcuts are awful, there's no need for a Ctrl+Shift+F when
>> everyone is expecting just F.
> I don't like much ctrl+shift+F either, but I'd rather change the default
> fullscreen shortcut to something else (F11 is quite common) than have every
> application define alternate shortcuts.
F11 sounds ok, anything but 3 keys shortcuts.

Regards,
Manuel.

http://www.uci.cu
http://www.facebook.com/universidad.uci

Okular Mockup 2.png (645K) Download Attachment

Re: [KDE Usability] Okular Mockup

todd rme
On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Manuel E. Gutierrez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> A few months ago I made up this mockup for Okular, send it to Albert and he
> told me to discuss it here, so here it is. As you can appreciate, it favors
> reading space, trying to spend as little as possible in toolbars.
>
> In relation to shortcuts, I propose to set up those on the image, maybe as
> alternate first, to avoid surprising the user. But seriously, IMHO current
> shortcuts are awful, there's no need for a Ctrl+Shift+F when everyone is
> expecting just F.
>
> Regards, Manuel.

It looks nice overall.

How does zooming in this mockup?  Currently okular has a quick way to
set things like fit width, fit page, or specific zoom levels.  I don't
see that here, but I do see four different zoom icons, and it is
unclear what these do (two of them look identical to me).

-Todd

On 06/25/2012 11:03 AM, todd rme wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Manuel E. Gutierrez<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> A few months ago I made up this mockup for Okular, send it to Albert and he
>> told me to discuss it here, so here it is. As you can appreciate, it favors
>> reading space, trying to spend as little as possible in toolbars.
>>
>> In relation to shortcuts, I propose to set up those on the image, maybe as
>> alternate first, to avoid surprising the user. But seriously, IMHO current
>> shortcuts are awful, there's no need for a Ctrl+Shift+F when everyone is
>> expecting just F.
>>
>> Regards, Manuel.
> It looks nice overall.
>
> How does zooming in this mockup?  Currently okular has a quick way to
> set things like fit width, fit page, or specific zoom levels.  I don't
> see that here, but I do see four different zoom icons, and it is
> unclear what these do (two of them look identical to me).
>
> -Todd

Sorry, I'm using KFaenza and it doesn't have those specific icons, those
are suppose to be "fit width" and "fit page". BTW forgot to put it in
the mockup but I propose just + and - for zooming, more finger friendly,
perhaps even * and / for width and page fit.

Manuel

http://www.uci.cu
http://www.facebook.com/universidad.uci

Re: [KDE Usability] Okular Mockup

Lukas-24

Mockup is great for starting point, but still has place for improvement :)

  • Why not to hide menu bar as in dolphin? This way 1 toolbar could fit on top (working on small screens, horizontal space is an issue too, might be vertical toolbar could be even avoided?)
  • Moving pagination to sidebar is bad solution. If sidebar is hidden pagination is invisible :/

Have you considered using something "on content controls" (similar to chrome's built in pdf reader) -  the ones that changes opacity once you get close to them? Good for actions that could be replaced by touchscreen multitouch e.g. zooming or navigating within pages?

Yeah, finding right icons is a though job. In case you can't find good enough, simply create a copy of a mockup having icon description pointing to it :)

Cheers,
Lukas

Re: [KDE Usability] Okular Mockup

Dotan Cohen
On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Manuel E. Gutierrez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> A few months ago I made up this mockup for Okular, send it to Albert and he
> told me to discuss it here, so here it is. As you can appreciate, it favors
> reading space, trying to spend as little as possible in toolbars.
>
> In relation to shortcuts, I propose to set up those on the image, maybe as
> alternate first, to avoid surprising the user. But seriously, IMHO current
> shortcuts are awful, there's no need for a Ctrl+Shift+F when everyone is
> expecting just F.
>
> Regards, Manuel.

The emphasis on vertical space is terrific. Might I suggest an extreme
measure, to collapse the File..Edit.. menu into a button on the side,
so that the toolbar might also be eliminated? I know that this is a
controversial subject, but in the case of Okular it is most justified
and beyond any corner-case.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Re: [KDE Usability] Okular Mockup

Thomas Pfeiffer
On 25.06.2012 17:37, Lukas wrote:
> Have you considered using something "on content controls" (similar to chrome's
> built in pdf reader) -  the ones that changes opacity once you get close to
> them? Good for actions that could be replaced by touchscreen multitouch e.g.
> zooming or navigating within pages?

For touch-based devices, Plasma Active is currently taking an even more radical
route of displaying no controls at all (except for a handle to pull out a
navigation/search drawer), see
http://www.notmart.org/index.php/Software/Okular_on_touch_screens .
However I don't think this should be used for the desktop version. They do serve
slightly different purpose (the desktop version's focus tends a bit more toward
actually working with documents, while Okular Active is more focused on reading
(though things like annotation will be introduced eventually).

I do agree that Okular can use some reduction of its "chrome" in general,
though. Just maybe not as radical as Okular Active.

Cheers,
Thomas

On 25 June 2012 19:26, Thomas Pfeiffer <[hidden email]> wrote:
On <a href="tel:25.06.2012%2017" value="+12506201217" target="_blank">25.06.2012 17:37, Lukas wrote:
[...]

Haven't seen this. Radical, but impressive, indeed!

However current and chrome like solutions are not contradicting. For tablets, here is no mouse, thus no mouse will get close to the "sweet spot", and controls are hidden. However in case user connects tablet to 23" monitor with keyboard and mouse - with the same look-and-feel we would get "mouse ready"(TM) UI :)

@Manuel

Few more things to consider:

Zooming - there should be a percentage like selector. Use case:160M PDF file with A0 size construction sketches. Using plain zoom in/out buttons would require too many clicks as well as given the file size many small zooms would be too slow to use.

Actually Okular is not alone in this case, but it would be still interesting to find a proper solution.

Browse/Zoom/Text selection modes - could we avoid manual selection of current mode? By e.g. using left click for browsing and right click for selection with on-selection-done "pop up" having zoom to selected area option next to copy etc?

Cheers,
Lukas