Kmail crashes on every message close/reply/etc

Kmail crashes on every message close/reply/etc

Ian Douglas
hi

After system update over weekend, every time I close a message, Kmail crashes.

Is this something Kmail-related or database backend-related?

Any ideas to fix?

Kmail Version 5.10.3 on AMD, Gentoo Linux.

Thanks, Ian
--
[hidden email] http://www.zti.co.za
Zero 2 Infinity - The net.works

Re: Kmail crashes on every message close/reply/etc

Erik Quaeghebeur
On maandag 27 mei 2019 08:21:20 CEST, Ian Douglas wrote:

> Kmail Version 5.10.3 on AMD, Gentoo Linux.
>
> After system update over weekend, every time I close a message,
> Kmail crashes.

I can confirm this, also on Gentoo (stable). There's even no backtrace
generated by DrKonqi.

> Is this something Kmail-related or database backend-related?

My feeling is this is application-related. The recent updates were for Qt,
KDE Frameworks, and KDE Plasma, not KDE Applications (such as KMail). So I
guess it's a problematic library call.

> Any ideas to fix?

I'm going to rebuild KMail and see what that does, you could also go to the
unstable 19.04 Applications and see what that gives.

Success,

Erik

Re: Kmail crashes on every message close/reply/etc

René J.V. Bertin
On Monday May 27 2019 10:24:12 Erik Quaeghebeur wrote:
>On maandag 27 mei 2019 08:21:20 CEST, Ian Douglas wrote:
>>
>> Kmail Version 5.10.3 on AMD, Gentoo Linux.
>>
>> After system update over weekend, every time I close a message,
>> Kmail crashes.
>
>I can confirm this, also on Gentoo (stable). There's even no backtrace
>generated by DrKonqi.

This can happen if the crash occurs before the crash reporting scheme was set up, or if the crash is so "violent" that nothing can be done any more. I've also seen it happen when there is a problem with a library (missing, or the wrong version); in that case the system can unload the application straight away. DrKonqi is launched by code that runs "in" the problem application itself, so there are plenty of ways for it to fail to be started.

In such cases you would need to start the problem application directly via a debugger, i.e.

%> gdb /path/to/kmail

or

%> lldb /path/to/kmail

Then, at the debugger problem, hit r <return> and then use the application as usual after it comes up. This way the debugger will have more chance to intercept the crash immediately, and you can get the backtrace.

R.

On maandag 27 mei 2019 10:24:12 CEST, Erik Quaeghebeur wrote:

> I'm going to rebuild KMail and see what that does, […]

Doesn't help. Bug reported:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/686842