Quantcast

Licensing policy allows non-free licence for media files

Licensing policy allows non-free licence for media files

Luke-Jr-3
From https://community.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy :

> 11. Standalone media files such as images may be licensed under the Creative
> Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence at
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ . This does not apply to
> icons or anything which is likely to be mixed with content under our normal
> (GPL etc) licences.

For what purpose is this exception made? It does not seem that any KDE
projects (until recently*) rely on media using this licence, and this licence
is not a free licence considering its restriction in section 4(d):

> Except as otherwise agreed in writing by the Licensor or as may be otherwise
> permitted by applicable law, if You Reproduce, Distribute or Publicly
> Perform the Work either by itself or as part of any Adaptations or
> Collections, You must not distort, mutilate, modify or take other derogatory
> action in relation to the Work which would be prejudicial to the Original
> Author's honor or reputation.

I suggest either removing this exception entirely, or at least upgrading it to
the 4.0 version of the licence, which appears to have removed this clause and
is a free licence.

(I see that jriddell's policy update already plans to do the former, so
perhaps no additional action is required?)

Furthermore, the licensing policy page seems to not be entirely clear that
these exceptions are indeed merely exceptions. Assuming my understanding of
this is correct, would there be any objection to me just editing the page to
clarify this point?

* KWave recently licensed a sample media file under CC-BY-SA-3.0,
(mis?)interpreting the licensing policy to require this. It would seem the
author (CC'd) does not care about it being non-free, so long as it meets KDE's
policies; this is what prompts me to seek this change to the policy.
(see KWave bug report at https://sourceforge.net/p/kwave/bugs/45/ )

Luke

P.S. Please CC me to replies, as I am not subscribed to the mailing list.

Re: Licensing policy allows non-free licence for media files

Jonathan Riddell-3
On Mon, May 01, 2017 at 05:12:16PM +0000, Luke Dashjr wrote:

> From https://community.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy :
>
> > 11. Standalone media files such as images may be licensed under the Creative
> > Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence at
> > http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ . This does not apply to
> > icons or anything which is likely to be mixed with content under our normal
> > (GPL etc) licences.
>
> For what purpose is this exception made? It does not seem that any KDE
> projects (until recently*) rely on media using this licence, and this licence
> is not a free licence considering its restriction in section 4(d):

Because projects were using media which was licenced as this.  Your point about 4(d) which bads changing it in such a way as to harm the honour of the auther is valid and gives another reason to switch to CC 4.

> Furthermore, the licensing policy page seems to not be entirely clear that
> these exceptions are indeed merely exceptions. Assuming my understanding of
> this is correct, would there be any objection to me just editing the page to
> clarify this point?

Changes to that page need to be reviewed carefully, let me know what your changes are and I'll look at adding them to the draft.

Jonathan

On Thursday 04 May 2017 4:31:15 PM Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > Furthermore, the licensing policy page seems to not be entirely clear
> > that these exceptions are indeed merely exceptions. Assuming my
> > understanding of this is correct, would there be any objection to me
> > just editing the page to clarify this point?
>
> Changes to that page need to be reviewed carefully, let me know what your
> changes are and I'll look at adding them to the draft.

I'd suggest clearly separating "normative licenses" from "licenses allowed as
an exception", rather than putting them both together under a numbered list.

Luke

Re: Licensing policy allows non-free licence for media files

Thomas Eschenbacher
Luke Dashjr wrote:

> On Thursday 04 May 2017 4:31:15 PM Jonathan Riddell wrote:
>>> Furthermore, the licensing policy page seems to not be entirely clear
>>> that these exceptions are indeed merely exceptions. Assuming my
>>> understanding of this is correct, would there be any objection to me
>>> just editing the page to clarify this point?
>>
>> Changes to that page need to be reviewed carefully, let me know what your
>> changes are and I'll look at adding them to the draft.
>
> I'd suggest clearly separating "normative licenses" from "licenses allowed as
> an exception", rather than putting them both together under a numbered list.

Any updates on this?

I have no problem switching to CC 4, but I do not want to switch between
different licenses and get bashed multiple times until KDE policies are
updated and stabilized.

Please update the licensing policy page mentioned above.

Inform me when it is done.

Then I will switch.

regards,
   Thomas