Not able to send E-mails to gmail using XOAUTH2

Not able to send E-mails to gmail using XOAUTH2

Frank Mehnert
Hi all,

I'm on Debian/Sid for ages. Recently there were almost no package
update because Debian is in full freeze state.

Since 2018 I'm able to receive e-mails via IMAP from imap.gmail.com
using the "gmail" authentication method.

However, I was never able to get the XOAUTH2 method to work with SMTP.
After I've got another reminder from Google that I should disable the
"less secure access" I decided to start another debugging session but
unfortunately I didn't came very far.

If I use the settings STARTTLS/587/XOAUTH2 then I get the following
smtp.log:

  S: 220 smtp.gmail.com ESMTP o16sm8821170wro.63 - gsmtp
  C: EHLO localhost
  S: 250-smtp.gmail.com at your service, [xx.xx.xx.xx]
  S: 250-SIZE 35882577
  S: 250-8BITMIME
  S: 250-STARTTLS
  S: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
  S: 250-PIPELINING
  S: 250-CHUNKING
  S: 250 SMTPUTF8
  ... long time without anything happens ...
  S: 451 4.4.2 Timeout - closing connection. o16sm8821170wro.63 - gsmtp
  C: QUIT

I find it interesting that after "S: 250 SMTPUTF8" nothing further happens.
I would expect a line like "C: AUTH XAUTH2 ....."

If I use SSL/TLS / 465 / XOAUTH2 then I only get

  C: QUIT

On "akonadictl restart" I get the following output on the console:

  SASL-XOAUTH2] - Requesting authID![SASL-XOAUTH2] - Requesting token
  ![SASL-XOAUTH2] - filling prompts
  ![SASL-XOAUTH2] - Requesting authID![SASL-XOAUTH2] - Requesting token
  !

Does anybody have an idea how to fix the problem? I would be also willing
to debug this further (including recompiling packages) if I get a sensible
starting point.

Thanks,

Frank

Re: Not able to send E-mails to gmail using XOAUTH2

René J.V. Bertin
On Sunday May 05 2019 11:52:01 Frank Mehnert wrote:

>After I've got another reminder from Google that I should disable the
>"less secure access"

Not really the question here but while I won't argue that this would (probably!) be better, I doubt wonder whether and why regular IMAPS would no longer be good enough if it was before. Esp. for gmail, because frankly, who trusts Google with really sensitive information...

Google in fact P me off increasingly with their blocking my access whenever I connect from a novel location, or even when something in my ISP routing changes. I'd just as well disable that "feature" too...