Quantcast

Odd choice of Names under the Subjects

Vishnu V. Krishnan
In the Gmail folder Inbox, the names displayed are those in the 'To' field of
the names, which is mostly me. It should have the name(s) of people in the
'From' field. Also, in the Sent folder the names displyed are all mine.

Is this a bug, or have I chosen a wrong setting? I do not see this issue in my
other IMAP accounts (non-Gmail).

Vishnu
OpenPGP fingerprint: 5015 1D4C 9BDF 9062 A9E1 62CB 5B1F4BEE7EED7131

Re: Odd choice of Names under the Subjects

Ingo Klöcker
On Thursday 18 May 2017 23:53:35 Vishnu V K wrote:
> In the Gmail folder Inbox, the names displayed are those in the 'To'
> field of the names, which is mostly me. It should have the name(s) of
> people in the 'From' field. Also, in the Sent folder the names
> displyed are all mine.
>
> Is this a bug, or have I chosen a wrong setting? I do not see this
> issue in my other IMAP accounts (non-Gmail).

Probably a wrong setting. KMail can show a lot of different things in
the message list. You can see them if you right-click on the headers of
the message list. One of those things is Sender/Receiver. This column
shows either the Sender of the message (for normal folders) or the
receiver of the message (for folders that are configured as sent-mail
folders).

A folder is configured as sent-mail folder by setting up an identity
which has this folder as sent-mail folder.

My guess is that, for some reason, your Gmail Inbox is configured as
sent-mail folder for one of your identities while your Sent folder is
not configured as a sent-mail folder.

Of course, you could also explicitly enable the Sender column or the
Receiver column for a folder, but I'm not sure whether the displayed
columns can be configured per folder.

Regards,
Ingo

Re: Odd choice of Names under the Subjects

Vishnu V. Krishnan
> > In the Gmail folder Inbox, the names displayed are those in the 'To'
> > field of the names, which is mostly me. It should have the name(s) of
> > people in the 'From' field. Also, in the Sent folder the names
> > displyed are all mine.
> >
> > Is this a bug, or have I chosen a wrong setting? I do not see this
> > issue in my other IMAP accounts (non-Gmail).
>
> Probably a wrong setting.
>
> A folder is configured as sent-mail folder by setting up an identity
> which has this folder as sent-mail folder.

Hey! You were right. I had the correct settings in the 'Accounts' section, but
not in the 'Identities'. It is fixed now.

Thanks!
Vishnu
--
OpenPGP fingerprint: 5015 1D4C 9BDF 9062 A9E1 62CB 5B1F4BEE7EED7131