Question

Anders Lund
Are there any plans to change KMail so that when I click an item in the header
list, KMail would then display that mail, instead of ask me to wait? :o

Re: Question

Paul Vixie
On Monday, 1 July 2019 21:56:36 UTC Anders Lund wrote:
> Are there any plans to change KMail so that when I click an item in the
> header list, KMail would then display that mail, instead of ask me to wait?
> :o

i have control+shift+space bound to the "go online" function, so that whenever
kontact freezes while downloading the headers from a folder, i can chord twice
and un-wedge it.

apparently my imap server (kolabsys) has a very short idle timer, and akonadi
doesn't automatically reopen the connection when i try to access one of that
server's folders.

once in a while i have to killall kontact, akonadictl stop, and re-launch. but
only once or twice a day.

this is sooooo much better than when i used mysql instead of pgsql, that i
hesitate to complain about it.

--
Paul

Re: Question

Mathias Homann
Am Montag, 1. Juli 2019, 23:56:36 CEST schrieb Anders Lund:
> Are there any plans to change KMail so that when I click an item in the
> header list, KMail would then display that mail, instead of ask me to wait?
> :o

...what are you talking about?

cheers
MH

--
Mathias Homann
Senior Systems Engineer, IT Consultant. IT Trainer

Re: Question

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 12:06:54 AM CDT Mathias Homann wrote:
> Am Montag, 1. Juli 2019, 23:56:36 CEST schrieb Anders Lund:
> > Are there any plans to change KMail so that when I click an item in the
> > header list, KMail would then display that mail, instead of ask me to
> > wait?
>
> ...what are you talking about?

When KMail is having issues with AKonadi, or AKonadi has retrieved the headers
of the email, but not the body of the email, KMail will display a "Loading...
please wait" message in the "Message Preview Pane".

It is actually not normal to see this message very long.  When I was having
issues with my Akonadi server, seeing this message in the preview pane was a
sure sign I needed to restart the server.

If you have the "Download all messages for offline use" option checked, you
should only see this message when AKonadi is actively retrieving messages.  If
you do not have this option checked, you may see this message the first time
you view highlight any mail, as that will trigger the download of the body of
the email; only headers will be retrieved during the initial check.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                   ,= ,-_-. =.
[hidden email]                   ((_/)o o(\_))

Re: Question

René J.V. Bertin
On Tuesday July 02 2019 07:58:15 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

>you do not have this option checked, you may see this message the first time
>you view highlight any mail, as that will trigger the download of the body of

Actually, just highlighting (right-clicking) the message shouldn't necessarily trigger the download. You may just be selecting a message (or series thereof) for immediate deletion, sometimes even preferably without downloading the message (some may remember the days that could be a very wise thing to do when running MSWin 95 or 98).

A related long-standing gripe I have with KMail is that it insists on selecting a message when you go into a folder, or when you delete the currently selected message(s). (I've been able to add a "select none" option for the selection-upon-folder-entry feature (in KMail 4.1x) but never figured out how to do this after deletion.

R.

Re: Question

Anders Lund
tirsdag den 2. juli 2019 14.58.15 CEST skrev Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.:

> On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 12:06:54 AM CDT Mathias Homann wrote:
> > Am Montag, 1. Juli 2019, 23:56:36 CEST schrieb Anders Lund:
> > > Are there any plans to change KMail so that when I click an item in the
> > > header list, KMail would then display that mail, instead of ask me to
> > > wait?
> >
> > ...what are you talking about?
>
> When KMail is having issues with AKonadi, or AKonadi has retrieved the
> headers of the email, but not the body of the email, KMail will display a
>
> It is actually not normal to see this message very long.  When I was having
> issues with my Akonadi server, seeing this message in the preview pane was a
> sure sign I needed to restart the server.
>
> If you have the "Download all messages for offline use" option checked, you
> should only see this message when AKonadi is actively retrieving messages.
> If you do not have this option checked, you may see this message the first
> time you view highlight any mail, as that will trigger the download of the
> body of the email; only headers will be retrieved during the initial check.

I see it way too often, and KMail often gets stuck at that point. Usually
restarting akonadi helps, sometimes going to another message and back helps.
But those workarounds should not be nessecary. When a mail header is clicked,
the intention is to view that mail, and KMail should facilitate that, it's
kind of the most basic job it has :)

Re: Question

Daniel Vrátil -2
On Monday, 1 July 2019 23:56:36 CEST Anders Lund wrote:
> Are there any plans to change KMail so that when I click an item in the
> header list, KMail would then display that mail, instead of ask me to wait?
> :o

Unless something goes horribly wrong and Akonadi gets stuck, the delay when
displaying the email can occur because the IMAP resource is currently syncing
a folder (which can take a while), and the request to retrieve a particular
email gets blocked until the sync finishes.

There's a plan to allow the IMAP resource to execute multiple tasks in
parallel, so retrieving a single email body would never get blocked by an
ongoing sync. Going to take a while until it's fully implemented, though :)

- Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | [hidden email]

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683

Re: Question

René J.V. Bertin
On Thursday July 04 2019 16:27:39 Daniel Vrátil wrote:

>Unless something goes horribly wrong and Akonadi gets stuck, the delay when
>displaying the email can occur because the IMAP resource is currently syncing
>a folder (which can take a while), and the request to retrieve a particular
>email gets blocked until the sync finishes.

The wait is something you can live with (who knows, it could be the remote fetch that's taking longer than usual).
What is more annoying is that from time to time you get absolutely no feedback, e.g. when you use the keyboard to select the Nth message up or down from the current. Normally the selection indicator moves when you hit that cursor key, but it doesn't always, for some reason, which leaves you uncertain if your command was processed or not.

R.