Questions about Neon vs Ubuntu

Joe Leon
I was looking through your site because I'm in the market for a new laptop. I want plain ole Ubuntu 18.04 on my comp. What's the deal with Neon? Do you offer comps with Ubuntu? How well will your comps run with Ubuntu? I'm assuming they integrate well because Neon is based on Ubuntu but might be wrong. Why did you guys choose Neon over Ubuntu?

Thanks

Re: Questions about Neon vs Ubuntu

Paul Brown-2
On lunes, 25 de junio de 2018 23:41:36 (CEST) Joe Leon wrote:

Hi Joe,

Glad to hear you are interested in Neon.

> I was looking through your site because I'm in the market for a new laptop.
> I want plain ole Ubuntu 18.04 on my comp. What's the deal with Neon?

Neon is a version of Linux just like Ubuntu. Both are operating systems for
your computer and are very much compatible one with the other.

> Do you
> offer comps with Ubuntu?

Not us, no. We create the operating system, the software that runs on your
computer. There are manufacturers that provide computers with Neon pre-loaded
and configured for their hardware, however.

One such manufacturer is Slimbook:

http://kde.slimbook.es/

> How well will your comps run with Ubuntu?

As I say, we don't manufacture computers. We only develop the software it
runs. To answer you question with regard to others, if a computer runs Neon
okay, it chances are it will run Ubuntu without a hitch and vice versa, as
Neon is based on Ubuntu.

> I'm
> assuming they integrate well because Neon is based on Ubuntu but might be
> wrong. Why did you guys choose Neon over Ubuntu?

With Linux you can have different desktops. That is the graphical environment
you interact with when you use your applications. Windows, for example, is the
graphical desktop Microsoft produces.

Ubuntu uses a graphical desktop called Gnome. This environment is produced by
a community of Free Software developers - the GNOME community.

We are another community of Free Software developers (KDE) and we produce a
desktop called "Plasma". It is stable, flexible, beautiful and powerful. Neon
comes with the very latest version of our Plasma desktop and updates it all
the time so you can always enjoy the latest and most advanced applications.

That is why we push Neon. It implements our desktop and keeps it up to date.

If you would like to read more about Neon and what to do with it, take a look
at:

https://quickfix.es/2018/03/first-5-things-to-do-after-booting-your-kde-slimbook-ii/

I hope this has been helpful. If you have any more questions, do not hesitate
to ask.

Kindest regards

Paul
--
Promotion & Communication

www: http://kde.org
Mastodon: https://mastodon.technology/@kde
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kde/

Re: Questions about Neon vs Ubuntu

William Graves
Sorry Joe but I have no idea what you are talking about here. I use
Opensuse but have no contact and do not sell computers so how you got
this email address is a complete mystery. What I do know is that Neon is
for beginners and Ubuntu is for those who are more advanced with Linux.
I like Linux and have been using it for almost 20 years. Good luck.
Bill Graves

--
Nothing Dollarable is safe.
John Muir

'Genius' Pill - Top 1% Didn't Want The Public To Know About
The Brain Insider
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/5b3ea3cf8d7823ce6944st01vuc

Re: Questions about Neon vs Ubuntu

Dale-46
Bill,

You got this because you are subscribed to a KDE mailing list.  Everyone
subscribed to it got the same message.  This list is rather quiet so you
may have forgot you were even subscribed or didn't notice it was a list
that sent it.  If you no longer want to subscribe, the method to
unsubscribe is usually in the message headers.  Copy and paste here to
make it easier.

Now you know why you got the email.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)

William Graves wrote:

> Sorry Joe but I have no idea what you are talking about here. I use
> Opensuse but have no contact and do not sell computers so how you got
> this email address is a complete mystery. What I do know is that Neon
> is for beginners and Ubuntu is for those who are more advanced with
> Linux. I like Linux and have been using it for almost 20 years. Good
> luck.
> Bill Graves
>
> On 06/25/2018 05:41 PM, Joe Leon wrote:
>> I was looking through your site because I'm in the market for a new
>> laptop. I want plain ole Ubuntu 18.04 on my comp. What's the deal
>> with Neon? Do you offer comps with Ubuntu? How well will your comps
>> run with Ubuntu? I'm assuming they integrate well because Neon is
>> based on Ubuntu but might be wrong. Why did you guys choose Neon over
>> Ubuntu?
>>
>> Thanks

Re: Questions about Neon vs Ubuntu

William Graves
Thanks Dale. I no longer use KDE so will try to bow out gracefully. Much
appreciate the update from you.
Bill Graves

--
Nothing Dollarable is safe.
John Muir

One Cup of This (Before Bed) Burns Belly Fat Like Crazy!
healthierpatriot.com
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3241/5b3eb9a9c572139a842e1st03vuc