Re: D21154: Automatically run pg_upgrade when major PostgreSQL is detected

Re: D21154: Automatically run pg_upgrade when major PostgreSQL is detected

ianseeks-3
On Sunday, 12 May 2019 13:56:07 BST Daniel Vrátil wrote:

> dvratil created this revision.
> Herald added a project: KDE PIM.
> Herald added a subscriber: kde-pim.
> dvratil requested review of this revision.
>
> REVISION SUMMARY
>   This implements detection of version of the db_data cluster and the currently
>   installed Postgres version (on Linux for now, only), and upgrading the cluster
>   when Postgres major version upgrade is detected.
>
>   This should make it more comfortable for users to use Akonadi with Postgres
>   since they no longer have to care about Postgres upgrades. It upgrade
>   will fail if we fail to find executables for the previous Postgres
>   server version (the one from which we are upgrading), which may differ
>   between distributions and usually requires an additional package to be
>   installed.

Sounds great. Is there any warning about the setting in Alternatives if its set to not upgrade?

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20190509
Qt: 5.12.3 KDE Frameworks: 5.57.0 - KDE Plasma:  5.15.5 - kwin 5.15.5

Re: D21154: Automatically run pg_upgrade when major PostgreSQL is detected

Daniel Vrátil -2
On Tuesday, 14 May 2019 10:49:41 CEST Ianseeks wrote:

> On Sunday, 12 May 2019 13:56:07 BST Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> > dvratil created this revision.
> > Herald added a project: KDE PIM.
> > Herald added a subscriber: kde-pim.
> > dvratil requested review of this revision.
> >
> > REVISION SUMMARY
> >
> >   This implements detection of version of the db_data cluster and the
> >   currently installed Postgres version (on Linux for now, only), and
> >   upgrading the cluster when Postgres major version upgrade is detected.
> >
> >   This should make it more comfortable for users to use Akonadi with
> >   Postgres
> >   since they no longer have to care about Postgres upgrades. It upgrade
> >   will fail if we fail to find executables for the previous Postgres
> >   server version (the one from which we are upgrading), which may differ
> >   between distributions and usually requires an additional package to be
> >   installed.
>
> Sounds great. Is there any warning about the setting in Alternatives if its
> set to not upgrade?
Not sure what do you mean by Alternatives? There's no option in Akonadi to
disable the storage upgrade. If your Postgres package is set to not be updated
by your package manager, then Akonadi won't have any reason to do any upgrade
:-)

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | [hidden email]

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683

On Tuesday, 14 May 2019 13:41:41 BST Daniel Vrátil wrote:

> On Tuesday, 14 May 2019 10:49:41 CEST Ianseeks wrote:
> > On Sunday, 12 May 2019 13:56:07 BST Daniel Vrátil wrote:
> > > dvratil created this revision.
> > > Herald added a project: KDE PIM.
> > > Herald added a subscriber: kde-pim.
> > > dvratil requested review of this revision.
> > >
> > > REVISION SUMMARY
> > >
> > >   This implements detection of version of the db_data cluster and the
> > >   currently installed Postgres version (on Linux for now, only), and
> > >   upgrading the cluster when Postgres major version upgrade is detected.
> > >
> > >   This should make it more comfortable for users to use Akonadi with
> > >   Postgres
> > >   since they no longer have to care about Postgres upgrades. It upgrade
> > >   will fail if we fail to find executables for the previous Postgres
> > >   server version (the one from which we are upgrading), which may differ
> > >   between distributions and usually requires an additional package to be
> > >   installed.
> >
> > Sounds great. Is there any warning about the setting in Alternatives if its
> > set to not upgrade?
>
> Not sure what do you mean by Alternatives? There's no option in Akonadi to
> disable the storage upgrade. If your Postgres package is set to not be updated
> by your package manager, then Akonadi won't have any reason to do any upgrade
> :-)

Ok, thanks just wanted to make sure.  In Alternatives i set postgres not to auto-upgrade.

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20190512
Qt: 5.12.3 KDE Frameworks: 5.57.0 - KDE Plasma:  5.15.5 - kwin 5.15.5