Re: KDE Frameworks soon 5 years old

David Faure-6
Hi Dominik,

I like the idea but I'm no good at such things, I hope you were not counting
on me to write something up :-)

CC'ing kde-promo, hoping there are people willing to do this.

Cheers,
David.

--
David Faure, [hidden email], http://www.davidfaure.fr
Working on KDE Frameworks 5

Re: KDE Frameworks soon 5 years old

Dominik Haumann-2
Hi David,

not necessarily, but given your involvement I am sure you could comment on
- what are the strength of the KDE Frameworks
- what is the advantage compared to the previous kdelibs
- where is KF5 used? Also outside KDE?
- how will a transition to Qt6 look like? Smoothly or big break?

Greetings
Dominik

On jeudi 16 mai 2019 07:09:44 CEST Dominik Haumann wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> not necessarily, but given your involvement I am sure you could comment on
> - what are the strength of the KDE Frameworks

* the modularity (you can use the ones you need, without drawing in too many
unwanted dependencies)
* the quality (peer review, multi-platform CI...)
* the monthly release schedule -- that was something I was very keen on, so
that application developers fix issues (bugs, missing features) in KDE
Frameworks rather than working around them in their application, and in my
opinion, this has proven to be very successful.
* the single branch (no stable/master split), which simplifies the life of
developers, and didn't impact quality thanks to the above two items.

> - what is the advantage compared to the previous kdelibs

same list as the above...

> - where is KF5 used? Also outside KDE?

Yes I have seen customers use some KDE Frameworks in Qt applications, to
support ZIP files, or to transfer files over SMB or FTP transparently.
Actually that was the topic of my presentation at Akademy 2015.
https://conf.kde.org/en/akademy2015/public/events/273
(see slides for details)

> - how will a transition to Qt6 look like? Smoothly or big break?

That's an on-going story in the Qt development community, on the KF side we're
waiting for the fallout :-)
On the KF side I'm not aware of any big plans yet, but I don't know
everything, and this will certainly be discussed at Akademy.