Re: Proposal: retire the koffice mailing list

Re: Proposal: retire the koffice mailing list

Bugzilla from cberger@cberger.net
Lets ask on [hidden email] if the subscribed people still have a use for the
list ?

On Monday 28 June 2010, Thomas Zander wrote:

> On Monday 28. June 2010 21.53.08 Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > On Monday 28 June 2010, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > > Does it hurt to keep it?
> >
> > Yes, if it is not used, it means people are less likely to get answer, or
> > will have to wait longer.
>
> If its not used that means people don't sent mails there, but we still have
> many users (all kplato users for example) and many devs are subscribed
> there. For that reason I don't agree with your conclusion that it should
> take longer for people get no answer. Many people probably see an email
> before they see a forum post. At least I do.
> Looking at the archives your fear is also not what is happening.
Well, indeed because looking at the archive shows the list is dead, or simply
misused, most of the mails send there should have been send to that list.

> > This is why we should encourage users to
> > concentrate on widely used media, such as the forum.
>
> I agree with that, but these two are not mutually exclusive.
Sure.

> You don't have to put time into the user list if you don't want to. If
> there are no emails being sent to the list members don't get annoyed.
> Essentially I don't understand the drive to take away the option for
> others to do things the way it works for them. Especially if it doesn't
> harm you.
See my point above, the recent mails sent to that list were not user questions
but question to developers, which means koffice@ is misused instead of koffice-
devel@, either by mistake, or by ignorance. Obviously it is possible for you
to forward the mail, if needed, but why bother ?

And for the record, I don't have an opinion on what happen to that list. I am
just giving reasons on why it could be better to suppress it.

--
Cyrille Berger

Re: Proposal: retire the koffice mailing list

Anne Wilson-2
On Monday 28 June 2010 22:43:11 Cyrille Berger wrote:
> Lets ask on [hidden email] if the subscribed people still have a use for
> the  list ?

It may be low-volume, but it definitely has a place.  Some developers use it
for announcements of interest to users.  Users can ask questions with a
reasonable hope that a developer will see it and answer.  The alternative is
for user questions to be posted to the devel list, which will, quite
reasonably, annoy developers.  And after the abrupt RTFM they get from some
devel lists users may not ask at all, which would be a pity.

FWIW I have a number of archived posts from the koffice list, going back over
a considerable period of time.

Forum is great for some users, but not everyone likes that format.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group

Re: Proposal: retire the koffice mailing list

tanghus (Bugzilla)
On Tuesday 29 June 2010 09:01:23 Anne Wilson wrote:

> On Monday 28 June 2010 22:43:11 Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > Lets ask on [hidden email] if the subscribed people still have a use for
> > the  list ?
>
> It may be low-volume, but it definitely has a place.  Some developers use
> it for announcements of interest to users.  Users can ask questions with a
> reasonable hope that a developer will see it and answer.  The alternative
> is for user questions to be posted to the devel list, which will, quite
> reasonably, annoy developers.  And after the abrupt RTFM they get from
> some devel lists users may not ask at all, which would be a pity.
>
> FWIW I have a number of archived posts from the koffice list, going back
> over a considerable period of time.
>
> Forum is great for some users, but not everyone likes that format.
+1. I rarely use this list but I like having the possibility.

--
Best Regards / Med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen

Re: Proposal: retire the koffice mailing list

workingwriter (Bugzilla)
On Tuesday, June 29, 2010 02:01:23 am Anne Wilson wrote:

> Forum is great for some users, but not everyone likes that format.
>
> Anne

Agreed. The more options the merrier, I always say. As another
example, the WordPress forums are certainly very popular, but the
WPGarage Yahoo Group certainly is alive.

In an effort to get some empirical evidence (OK, maybe not a lot, but
something), I've posted a poll on how people get help for KDE apps at
my blog:

http://metaverse.wordpress.com/2010/06/29/how-do-you-learn-about-
kde/

Perhaps something with more authority could be done at KDE.org?

Mike McCallister

On Tuesday 29 June 2010 09:59:55 Thomas Olsen wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 June 2010 09:01:23 Anne Wilson wrote:
> >
> > Forum is great for some users, but not everyone likes that format.
>
> +1. I rarely use this list but I like having the possibility.

And I also think that KOffice soon will gain momentum with the new, great
release.