Re: kword 2.1.1 and mailmerge

David Faure-6
On Saturday 13 March 2010, Rodrigo OLC Bernardo wrote:
> Dear Faure
>
> I have moved to linux, and to KDE 4.
>
> I cannot find anymore the mail merge function on Kword 2.1.1, and no
> reference to it anywhere, either. Is that true? Or it may be just that i
> have not downloaded it correctly.

Hello,

I am not involved in KWord-2.x personnally, so I'm Cc'ing the koffice users
list to relay your question.

--
David Faure, [hidden email], http://www.davidfaure.fr

Re: kword 2.1.1 and mailmerge

Bugzilla from zander@kde.org
On Saturday 13. March 2010 18.33.14 David Faure wrote:

> On Saturday 13 March 2010, Rodrigo OLC Bernardo wrote:
> > Dear Faure
> >
> > I have moved to linux, and to KDE 4.
> >
> > I cannot find anymore the mail merge function on Kword 2.1.1, and no
> > reference to it anywhere, either. Is that true? Or it may be just that i
> > have not downloaded it correctly.
>
> Hello,
>
> I am not involved in KWord-2.x personnally, so I'm Cc'ing the koffice users
> list to relay your question.

Thanks David,

Rodrigo, KOffice2 got a new text engine which means so much as that a lot of
functionality in KOffice1 needs to be rewritten. Unfortunately for you mail
merge is one of them and is still on the list of things to get back.

So, its a known shortcoming and I have no doubt mailmerge will come back soon.
But more core functionality is first (spell checking, for example) so it might
take a couple of releases yet.

Sorry for bringing bad news, I hope you can use KOffice1.6 for now till this is
sorted out.
--
Thomas Zander

RE: kword 2.1.1 and mailmerge

rodrigobernardo55 (Bugzilla)
Dear Zander.

Thank you for your message.

It is very bad news indeed, because I was counting on my address book to send messages to my students.
Hope the update comes soon.

best regards

Rodrigo O.L.C. Bernardo
Rua Americo Brasiliense 391 - B
Pilar do Sul SP
18185-000
Brazil
[hidden email]
00 55 15 32781899

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: kword 2.1.1 and mailmerge
> Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 18:48:36 +0100
> CC: [hidden email]
>
> On Saturday 13. March 2010 18.33.14 David Faure wrote:
> > On Saturday 13 March 2010, Rodrigo OLC Bernardo wrote:
> > > Dear Faure
> > >
> > > I have moved to linux, and to KDE 4.
> > >
> > > I cannot find anymore the mail merge function on Kword 2.1.1, and no
> > > reference to it anywhere, either. Is that true? Or it may be just that i
> > > have not downloaded it correctly.
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am not involved in KWord-2.x personnally, so I'm Cc'ing the koffice users
> > list to relay your question.
>
> Thanks David,
>
> Rodrigo, KOffice2 got a new text engine which means so much as that a lot of
> functionality in KOffice1 needs to be rewritten. Unfortunately for you mail
> merge is one of them and is still on the list of things to get back.
>
> So, its a known shortcoming and I have no doubt mailmerge will come back soon.
> But more core functionality is first (spell checking, for example) so it might
> take a couple of releases yet.
>
> Sorry for bringing bad news, I hope you can use KOffice1.6 for now till this is
> sorted out.
> --
> Thomas Zander

Re: kword 2.1.1 and mailmerge

Jaroslaw Staniek-3
>> On Saturday 13 March 2010, Rodrigo OLC Bernardo wrote:
>> > I cannot find anymore the mail merge function on Kword 2.1.1, and no
>> > reference to it anywhere, either. Is that true? Or it may be just that i
>> > have not downloaded it correctly.

Hello,
In 2.2 functionality similar to mail merge will be available through
Kexi Reports, replacing Kugar.
It's (by design) different in one thing: user does not create document
based on ODF document but design report, and the result is not the ODF
document but the printout (which can be file). The data source can be
database of a csv file. For now to use this kind of reporting, one
needs to use Kexi, but special mode for simplified cases is planned
(e.g. user points to data source and report design).

Existence of the Kexi Reports is independent of the classic mail
merge, where document generation is involved by multiplying pages or
set of pages.
We're looking forward to integrate the two apps, and wrap features
two-way, so e.g. KWord user shall not notice some reporting features
are executed in the background, and Kexi user shall not notice that
some components like shapes are reused from other applications.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek