Telegram group

Paul Brown-2
Hello,

I created a Telegram group for promo. You can subscribe to it at

https://t.me/joinchat/AEyx-w4ucdofN8eZ0-lj8g

I have also requested on Phabricator a bridge between the IRC channel and this
new group, so everybody can use the means they prefer and we are still all in
touch with each other.

I have done this because of the persistence Telegram offers, which is
friendlier for new, potentially not too technically-oriented users than IRC +
Quassel.

Cheers

Paul
--
Promotion & Communication

www: http://kde.org
Mastodon: https://mastodon.technology/@kde
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kde/

Re: Telegram group

Luigi Toscano
On Friday, 28 July 2017 15:34:58 CEST Paul Brown wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I created a Telegram group for promo. You can subscribe to it at
>
> https://t.me/joinchat/AEyx-w4ucdofN8eZ0-lj8g
>
> I have also requested on Phabricator a bridge between the IRC channel and
> this new group, so everybody can use the means they prefer and we are still
> all in touch with each other.
>
> I have done this because of the persistence Telegram offers, which is
> friendlier for new, potentially not too technically-oriented users than IRC
> + Quassel.

Persistence can be achieved by accessing #kde-promo on freenode also through
matrix.org and one of its client, like the mobile one riot.im (available on F-
Droid too for Android).

(sorry if I repeat it, but matrix.org + riot.im + IRC are part of a totally
free software/open protocol stack).

Luigi

Re: Telegram group

Paul Brown-2
On Friday, 28 July 2017 15:53:55 CEST Luigi Toscano wrote:

> On Friday, 28 July 2017 15:34:58 CEST Paul Brown wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I created a Telegram group for promo. You can subscribe to it at
> >
> > https://t.me/joinchat/AEyx-w4ucdofN8eZ0-lj8g
> >
> > I have also requested on Phabricator a bridge between the IRC channel and
> > this new group, so everybody can use the means they prefer and we are
> > still
> > all in touch with each other.
> >
> > I have done this because of the persistence Telegram offers, which is
> > friendlier for new, potentially not too technically-oriented users than
> > IRC
> > + Quassel.
>
> Persistence can be achieved by accessing #kde-promo on freenode also through
> matrix.org and one of its client, like the mobile one riot.im (available on
> F- Droid too for Android).
>
> (sorry if I repeat it, but matrix.org + riot.im + IRC are part of a totally
> free software/open protocol stack).
Nice. I did not know this. Thanks Luigi.

Paul
--
Promotion & Communication

www: http://kde.org
Mastodon: https://mastodon.technology/@kde
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kde/

Re: Telegram group

Paul Brown-2
Link changed. Please use this:

https://t.me/joinchat/AEyx-0O8HKmfJ50MByM4kg

Paul
--
Promotion & Communication

www: http://kde.org
Mastodon: https://mastodon.technology/@kde
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kde/

Re: Telegram group

Paul Brown-2

Is there anybody on here that can help get the IRC bridge done quickly? It
would be good get it done asap to avoid both channels from diverging.

The task I posted on Phabricator is this one:

https://phabricator.kde.org/T6661

Thanks

Paul
--
Promotion & Communication

www: http://kde.org
Mastodon: https://mastodon.technology/@kde
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kde/

Re: Telegram group

Valorie Zimmerman
On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 5:07 AM, Paul Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there anybody on here that can help get the IRC bridge done quickly? It
> would be good get it done asap to avoid both channels from diverging.
>
> The task I posted on Phabricator is this one:
>
> https://phabricator.kde.org/T6661
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul

If that task is for the sysadmins (which it should be) none of us will
be able to see it. You can always ping them directly in #kde-sysadmins
on IRC.

Valorie

http://about.me/valoriez

Re: Telegram group

Paul Brown-2
On Saturday, 29 July 2017 19:02:31 CEST Valorie Zimmerman wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 5:07 AM, Paul Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there anybody on here that can help get the IRC bridge done quickly? It
> > would be good get it done asap to avoid both channels from diverging.
> >
> > The task I posted on Phabricator is this one:
> >
> > https://phabricator.kde.org/T6661
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Paul
>
> If that task is for the sysadmins (which it should be) none of us will
> be able to see it. You can always ping them directly in #kde-sysadmins
> on IRC.
>
> Valorie
It's sorted. Bhushan helped out. Thanks.

Paul
--
Promotion & Communication

www: http://kde.org
Mastodon: https://mastodon.technology/@kde
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kde/

Re: Telegram group

C W-10
I don't know if it would be practical to use both Signal Private Messenger & Telegram for promo.  Just thought I should mention that Signal Private Messenger would work for this use, & appears to be more secure than Telegram.  Cheers

On Monday, 31 July 2017 03:23:30 CEST elcaseti . wrote:
> I don't know if it would be practical to use both Signal Private Messenger
> & Telegram for promo.  Just thought I should mention that Signal Private
> Messenger would work for this use, & appears to be more secure than
> Telegram.  Cheers

I would personally prefer a fully FLOSS solution, preferably an XMPP-compliant
one like Jabber or, if we are concerned about security TOX. But I see several
drawbacks to that:

- We are not that concerned with security anyway. There is nothing we are
going to discuss in the group that I foresee we cannot share with the world at
large.

- None of those services, Signal, Jabber and TOX, are nearly as popular as
Telegram. If Telegram is good enough for what we need, we should probably
avoid making access more difficult to the Promo group by using a software that
not many people will have heard of, let alone installed.

- Telegram supports natively a wider range of platforms, including most
desktops or even the command line. Yes, Signal has a desktop client too, but
it requires you install Chrome and Chromium. Nothing wrong with that, but it
is just another hurdle that makes a little more inconvenient.

- Promo on Telegram has already taken off and most people seem to be find it
useful and enjoyable, plus the bridge to the IRC is up and working fine. Maybe
undoing that work now would not be very efficient.

Despite the above, I do hope you join us, either on the IRC or Telegram.

Cheers

Paul

--
Promotion & Communication

www: http://kde.org
Mastodon: https://mastodon.technology/@kde
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kde/

Re: Telegram group

C W-10
As far as I can tell, Signal is now completely Libre.   I figured Telegram was chosen because of its encryption, which is not as good as Signal's encryption.  Since that's not the case, it sounds like Telegram is a good way to go for Promo, as it already has some momentum behind it.

 Cheers

On Monday, 31 July 2017 23:42:46 CEST elcaseti . wrote:
> As far as I can tell, Signal is now completely Libre.   I figured Telegram
> was chosen because of its encryption, which is not as good as Signal's
> encryption.  Since that's not the case, it sounds like Telegram is a good
> way to go for Promo, as it already has some momentum behind it.

Exactly. Encryption is not really an issue. We are not exchanging anything
secret or confidential here. We picked Telegram because there were already a
bunch of KDE groups on it and it is what a lot of people already used.

By the way, would you like to come and join us?

Paul

>  Cheers
>
> On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 11:58 PM, Paul Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Monday, 31 July 2017 03:23:30 CEST elcaseti . wrote:
> > > I don't know if it would be practical to use both Signal Private
> >
> > Messenger
> >
> > > & Telegram for promo.  Just thought I should mention that Signal Private
> > > Messenger would work for this use, & appears to be more secure than
> > > Telegram.  Cheers
> >
> > I would personally prefer a fully FLOSS solution, preferably an
> > XMPP-compliant
> > one like Jabber or, if we are concerned about security TOX. But I see
> > several
> > drawbacks to that:
> >
> > - We are not that concerned with security anyway. There is nothing we are
> > going to discuss in the group that I foresee we cannot share with the
> > world at
> > large.
> >
> > - None of those services, Signal, Jabber and TOX, are nearly as popular as
> > Telegram. If Telegram is good enough for what we need, we should probably
> > avoid making access more difficult to the Promo group by using a software
> > that
> > not many people will have heard of, let alone installed.
> >
> > - Telegram supports natively a wider range of platforms, including most
> > desktops or even the command line. Yes, Signal has a desktop client too,
> > but
> > it requires you install Chrome and Chromium. Nothing wrong with that, but
> > it
> > is just another hurdle that makes a little more inconvenient.
> >
> > - Promo on Telegram has already taken off and most people seem to be find
> > it
> > useful and enjoyable, plus the bridge to the IRC is up and working fine.
> > Maybe
> > undoing that work now would not be very efficient.
> >
> > Despite the above, I do hope you join us, either on the IRC or Telegram.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Paul

> > diverging.

> > will

> > #kde-sysadmins

> > --
> > Promotion & Communication
> >
> > www: http://kde.org
> > Mastodon: https://mastodon.technology/@kde
> > Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kde/
> > Twitter: https://twitter.com/kdecommunity

--
Promotion & Communication

www: http://kde.org
Mastodon: https://mastodon.technology/@kde
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kde/

Re: Telegram group

C W-10
Encryption works best when you use it all the time, not just with sensitive discussions.  I joined the #kde-promo irc channel.  I know irc is not private, but it was created in a time when people didn't really know better.  The same can't be said for Telegram.

Once I have more time, I hope to be able to help out with promo.  For now, I'll just check in once in a while when I can.  Thanks for welcoming me, Paul.

Cheers