The fame and the blame

Tymek
Hi!

I have almost finished fixing "my" bug. This is my first one and I'm
about to make and send the diffs. I cannot commit changes myself and
someone else will do it, so there will be no trace in the svn who really
made the changes. I was wondering should I put my email/name somewhere
in the files?
One thing is that I want to leave a mark in the code for the fame:) The
more practical reason is that if something goes wrong how would anybody
know who to ask to fix it?

maju

Re: The fame and the blame

Boudewijn Rempt-2
On Saturday 05 November 2005 12:36, Tymoteusz Majewski wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have almost finished fixing "my" bug. This is my first one and I'm
> about to make and send the diffs. I cannot commit changes myself and
> someone else will do it, so there will be no trace in the svn who really
> made the changes. I was wondering should I put my email/name somewhere
> in the files?
> One thing is that I want to leave a mark in the code for the fame:) The
> more practical reason is that if something goes wrong how would anybody
> know who to ask to fix it?
You can add your name in the copyright header.

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi

Re: The fame and the blame

mecirt (Bugzilla)
On 11/5/05, Boudewijn Rempt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Saturday 05 November 2005 12:36, Tymoteusz Majewski wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have almost finished fixing "my" bug. This is my first one and I'm
> > about to make and send the diffs. I cannot commit changes myself and
> > someone else will do it, so there will be no trace in the svn who really
> > made the changes. I was wondering should I put my email/name somewhere
> > in the files?
> > One thing is that I want to leave a mark in the code for the fame:) The
> > more practical reason is that if something goes wrong how would anybody
> > know who to ask to fix it?
>
> You can add your name in the copyright header.

Or, if the change is small (like, only one chunk with few lines), you
can add a comment in front of the changed area, stating who did the
change and what was changed.

/ Tomas

Re: The fame and the blame

Jaroslaw Staniek-2
Tymoteusz Majewski said the following, On 2005-11-05 12:36:

> Hi!
>
> I have almost finished fixing "my" bug. This is my first one and I'm
> about to make and send the diffs. I cannot commit changes myself and
> someone else will do it, so there will be no trace in the svn who really
> made the changes. I was wondering should I put my email/name somewhere
> in the files?
> One thing is that I want to leave a mark in the code for the fame:) The
> more practical reason is that if something goes wrong how would anybody
> know who to ask to fix it?

Or, if your change is not small and/or not trivial, I guess there's not a
problem to add your name to "thanks" section for the application (in KAboutData).

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska

Re: The fame and the blame

bradh (Bugzilla)
On Saturday 05 November 2005 22:36 pm, Tymoteusz Majewski wrote:
> One thing is that I want to leave a mark in the code for the fame:) The
> more practical reason is that if something goes wrong how would anybody
> know who to ask to fix it?
When a change is committed on behalf of someone else, it is customary to put
something like "Patch by Tymoteusz Majewski <[hidden email]>" in the commit
message (usually before, sometimes after the description of the change), for
these two reasons - we do want to recognise contributions, and we want to be
able to track down subtle issues later.

Brad