Updating the vision

Boudewijn Rempt-2
We don't display it as in-your-face as we used to do, but we do have a
vision document:

https://docs.krita.org/KritaFAQ#What_is_Krita.3F

"Krita is a KDE program for sketching and painting, offering an
end–to–end solution for creating digital painting files from scratch
by masters.

Fields of painting that Krita explicitly supports are concept art,
creation of comics and textures for rendering.

Modeled on existing real-world painting materials and workflows, Krita
supports creative working by getting out of the way and with a snappy
response."

I think it needs updating a bit. I was never to happy to use "masters"
as shorthand for "people who take some effort to learn it" -- but I have
no idea how to improve that.

I think we need to add "matte painting, illustrations and animations" to
the fields that krita explicitly supports. Note: product design will
never get in there!

The last para needs most work: real world painting materials needs to
go out... Something like "Krita caters for the need to be productive
and creative by offering a smooth worklow, snappy response and inspiring
serendipity" -- or something like that?

Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.krita.org, http://www.valdyas.org

Re: Updating the vision

Thorsten Wilms
On 25.07.2017 17:40, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> I think it needs updating a bit. I was never to happy to use "masters"
> as shorthand for "people who take some effort to learn it" -- but I have
> no idea how to improve that.

A while back I had a go at writing a project definition for Ardour with
a similar problem. I arrived at the conclusion that it is not necessary
or even beneficial to allude to the skill-level or the ambitions of
users; at the core is optimization for prolonged, high-intensity use. An
application that is used often and for long durations.

> I think we need to add "matte painting, illustrations and animations" to
> the fields that krita explicitly supports. Note: product design will
> never get in there!

What's the background? Several tools already present are well suited to
aid in product design sketching.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/

Re: Updating the vision

Boudewijn Rempt-2
On Tue, 25 Jul 2017, Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> On 25.07.2017 17:40, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>
> > I think it needs updating a bit. I was never to happy to use "masters"
> > as shorthand for "people who take some effort to learn it" -- but I have
> > no idea how to improve that.
>
> A while back I had a go at writing a project definition for Ardour with a
> similar problem. I arrived at the conclusion that it is not necessary or even
> beneficial to allude to the skill-level or the ambitions of users; at the core
> is optimization for prolonged, high-intensity use. An application that is used
> often and for long durations.

Yes... Though we often get asked why krita isn't easier. Sometimes that means
"It isn't photoshop, it's so hard", sometimes it means "it has more functionality
than Paint Tool Sai" -- but sometimes it means "I cannot be arsed to create a
new image before painting on it, you guys suck" -- and we need some way to articulate
that Krita is exactly in the category you mention. Sovereign applications that
are open full screen and used for up to 24 hours a day.

> > I think we need to add "matte painting, illustrations and animations" to
> > the fields that krita explicitly supports. Note: product design will
> > never get in there!
>
> What's the background? Several tools already present are well suited to aid in
> product design sketching.

Well.. This guy on reddit and the forum who is telling us we're liars when we
say "Krita is not an image editing application". It's a bit of an in-joke :-)

Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.krita.org, http://www.valdyas.org

Re: Updating the vision

Raghavendra Kamath
Hi Boud,

On 2017 Jul 25 17:40:24, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> I think it needs updating a bit. I was never to happy to use "masters"
> as shorthand for "people who take some effort to learn it" -- but I have
> no idea how to improve that.

I tried to write this paragraph about krita.

----

Krita is an opensource and free digital painting application developed under the KDE umbrella.
It offers a complete range of tools and robust features, for professional artists and hobbyist alike, which aid in conceptualising and creating visuals from scratch.

Visuals can be anything from concept art for a movie, abstract painting, seamless textures and characters for a game comic book story, or a short animation film etc,
Krita helps artists to tell the story without getting in their way. Any new tools and features are developed with consultation and feedback from the artists and professionals in the industry,
thus making it a snappier and smoother medium of creative expression for artists

----

I don't know how correct it is. May be someone can improve on this. This is just my opinion of Krita :)

thanks
--
Raghavendra Kamath
Illustrator
raghukamath.com

Re: Updating the vision

Thorsten Wilms
On 25.07.2017 18:08, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jul 2017, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
>
>> On 25.07.2017 17:40, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>>
>>> I think it needs updating a bit. I was never to happy to use "masters"
>>> as shorthand for "people who take some effort to learn it" -- but I have
>>> no idea how to improve that.
>>
>> A while back I had a go at writing a project definition for Ardour with a
>> similar problem. I arrived at the conclusion that it is not necessary or even
>> beneficial to allude to the skill-level or the ambitions of users; at the core
>> is optimization for prolonged, high-intensity use. An application that is used
>> often and for long durations.
>
> Yes... Though we often get asked why krita isn't easier. Sometimes that means
> "It isn't photoshop, it's so hard", sometimes it means "it has more functionality
> than Paint Tool Sai" -- but sometimes it means "I cannot be arsed to create a
> new image before painting on it, you guys suck" -- and we need some way to articulate
> that Krita is exactly in the category you mention. Sovereign applications that
> are open full screen and used for up to 24 hours a day.

As many here will probably understand, optimization for frequent,
prolonged high-intensity use will lead to, as far as necessary:
- valuing efficiency in the long run over being obvious initially
- basic tools and options being harder to find simply due to being among
many others
- some coarse and simple things appearing harder to accomplish, because
operations and options are fine grained for flexibility

Regarding those questions, you may have to add that Krita is not a clone
of another application, but an independent design (even if taking
inspiration from elsewhere, as one should!).

How much of that belongs in a vision statement, though?

Anyway, an attempt:

"
Krita is a digital painting application for demanding needs. It is Free
Software, developed by, with and for artists.

Optimized for frequent, prolonged and intense use, it offers a rich
palette of tools and options. It is not designed for short, one-off
image editing tasks.

Krita supports creating digital images from scratch. It explicitly
supports, but is not limited to: illustrations, concept design,
textures, matte painting, comics and animations.
"

Notes:

I guess KDE and being cross-platform doesn't necessarily belong here.

I did not mention performance, efficiency or being "snappy". As much
thought and hard work those take, they are weak goals, because the
opposites make no sense. One may aim to develop something simple, with
only few features over something full-featured, but who would want to
write a slow, sloppy application? But perhaps something along the lines
of "Krita supports the artist in staying focused and working
efficiently." might help.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/

Re: Updating the vision

Boudewijn Rempt-2
On Wed, 26 Jul 2017, Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> As many here will probably understand, optimization for frequent, prolonged
> high-intensity use will lead to, as far as necessary:
> - valuing efficiency in the long run over being obvious initially
> - basic tools and options being harder to find simply due to being among many
> others
> - some coarse and simple things appearing harder to accomplish, because
> operations and options are fine grained for flexibility
>
> Regarding those questions, you may have to add that Krita is not a clone of
> another application, but an independent design (even if taking inspiration
> from elsewhere, as one should!).
>
> How much of that belongs in a vision statement, though?

Well, we originally came up with this vision statement line by line in a
discussion with Peter Sikking:

http://blog.mmiworks.net/2010/03/working-on-vision-with.html

Every bit has a special, focused reason for being in there, but things
have changed. We started with:

what is it, who is it for and where is the value?

So that's something we should keep.

> Anyway, an attempt:
>
> "
> Krita is a digital painting application for demanding needs. It is Free
> Software, developed by, with and for artists.

Demanding needs" is a very good addition.

> Optimized for frequent, prolonged and intense use, it offers a rich palette of
> tools and options. It is not designed for short, one-off image editing tasks.
>
> Krita supports creating digital images from scratch. It explicitly supports,
> but is not limited to: illustrations, concept design, textures, matte
> painting, comics and animations.
> "
>

> Notes:
>
> I guess KDE and being cross-platform doesn't necessarily belong here.

We originally put KDE in because we wanted to make clear that KDE is our tribe,
it's where we come from and where we are home. That's still true, but I'm no
longer convinced it's part of the vision.

> I did not mention performance, efficiency or being "snappy". As much thought
> and hard work those take, they are weak goals, because the opposites make no
> sense. One may aim to develop something simple, with only few features over
> something full-featured, but who would want to write a slow, sloppy
> application? But perhaps something along the lines of "Krita supports the
> artist in staying focused and working efficiently." might help.

True -- but one thing in that last paragraph really has given us a lot of guidance,
and that the focus on worflow and getting out of the way. Back then, focus
on snappy was important, too, because Krita was quite slow compared to what it is now.

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017, Raghavendra Kamath wrote:

> Hi Boud,
>
> On 2017 Jul 25 17:40:24, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>
> > I think it needs updating a bit. I was never to happy to use "masters"
> > as shorthand for "people who take some effort to learn it" -- but I have
> > no idea how to improve that.
>
> I tried to write this paragraph about krita.
>
> ----
>
> Krita is an opensource and free digital painting application developed under the KDE umbrella.
> It offers a complete range of tools and robust features, for professional artists and hobbyist alike, which aid in conceptualising and creating visuals from scratch.
>
> Visuals can be anything from concept art for a movie, abstract painting, seamless textures and characters for a game comic book story, or a short animation film etc,
> Krita helps artists to tell the story without getting in their way. Any new tools and features are developed with consultation and feedback from the artists and professionals in the industry,
> thus making it a snappier and smoother medium of creative expression for artists

I think we can do something with the part on working together with artists -- but on the whole, we should keep the what, for why, where's the value 3 para format.

Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.krita.org, http://www.valdyas.org

Re: Updating the vision

Boudewijn Rempt-2
I'm pretty sure we're not there yet, but with the input from Raghukamath
and Thorsten, I've got a new draft here:

"Krita is a free and open source program for sketching and painting,
offering an end–to–end solution for creating digital painting files
from scratch for artists with demanding needs.

Fields of painting that Krita explicitly supports are illustrations,
concept art, creation of comics, matte painting, animations and
textures.

Krita supports artists by working together with artists to create an
application that supports their creative workflow."

Still not ideal, but if follows

"what is it, who is it for and where is the value?"

As did our original vision.

Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.krita.org, http://www.valdyas.org

Re: Updating the vision

Boudewijn Rempt-2
Oh, and I was checking the other vision peter worked on and found

http://gui.gimp.org/index.php?title=Project_Vision#professionals.3F

Which is exactly what we've been discussing; which is also why
peter put in "masters" and not "professionals" originally.

On 2017 Jul 27 13:01:31, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> "Krita is a free and open source program for sketching and painting,
> offering an end–to–end solution for creating digital painting files
> from scratch for artists with demanding needs.

Can it be "digital artwork" instead of painting files, in my opinion files becomes a bit of a commodity type thing, whereas artists are emotionally attached with contents than the file itself.
May be something like this

---

Krita is a free and open source program for sketching and painting, made for artists with demanding needs,
offering an end-to-end solution for creating digital artworks from scratch.

---

> Fields of painting that Krita explicitly supports are illustrations,
> concept art, creation of comics, matte painting, animations and
> textures.

I think creation of comics can be just comics

> Krita supports artists by working together with artists to create an
> application that supports their creative workflow."

To remove the repeatitive word artists, this can be

---

Krita supports artists by working together with them to create an application
that supports their creative workflows.

So to sum it up

---

Krita is a free and opensource program for sketching and painting, made for artists with demanding needs,
offering an end-to-end solution for creating digital artworks from scratch.

Fields of painting that Krita explicitly supports are illustrations,
concept art, comics, matte painting, animations and textures.

Krita supports artists by working together with them to create an application
that supports their creative workflow.

---

--
Raghavendra Kamath
Illustrator
raghukamath.com

Re: Updating the vision

Boudewijn Rempt-2
On Thu, 27 Jul 2017, Raghavendra Kamath wrote:

> On 2017 Jul 27 13:01:31, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>
> > "Krita is a free and open source program for sketching and painting,
> > offering an end–to–end solution for creating digital painting files
> > from scratch for artists with demanding needs.
>
> Can it be "digital artwork" instead of painting files, in my opinion files becomes a bit of a commodity type thing, whereas artists are emotionally attached with contents than the file itself.

Yes -- though the sense of this is that Krita's responsibility stops
when the file is created -- printing, assembling in something else,
isn't part of what Krita is for. Though the "digital" part keeps
that sense, too.

> May be something like this
>
> ---
>
> Krita is a free and open source program for sketching and painting, made for artists with demanding needs,
> offering an end-to-end solution for creating digital artworks from scratch.
>
> ---
>
> > Fields of painting that Krita explicitly supports are illustrations,
> > concept art, creation of comics, matte painting, animations and
> > textures.
>
> I think creation of comics can be just comics
>
> > Krita supports artists by working together with artists to create an
> > application that supports their creative workflow."
>
> To remove the repeatitive word artists, this can be
>
> ---
>
> Krita supports artists by working together with them to create an application
> that supports their creative workflows.
>

> So to sum it up
>
> ---
>
> Krita is a free and opensource program for sketching and painting, made for artists with demanding needs,
> offering an end-to-end solution for creating digital artworks from scratch.
>
> Fields of painting that Krita explicitly supports are illustrations,
> concept art, comics, matte painting, animations and textures.
>
> Krita supports artists by working together with them to create an application
> that supports their creative workflow.
>
> ---
Yes, we're getting somewhere :-)

On 27.07.2017 13:43, Raghavendra Kamath wrote:
> Krita is a free and opensource program for sketching and painting, made for artists with demanding needs,
> offering an end-to-end solution for creating digital artworks from scratch.

Bit long of a sentence, I'll offer a variation further down below.

> Fields of painting that Krita explicitly supports are illustrations,
> concept art, comics, matte painting, animations and textures.

Nitpicking, but comics and animations should be paired, as they are more
closely related than with any other item, I'd say.

> Krita supports artists by working together with them to create an application
> that supports their creative workflow.

The double "supports" should be edited out.

"
Krita is Free Software for sketching and painting, made for artists with
demanding needs. It offers a complete solution for creating digital art
from scratch. To this end, it's optimized for frequent, prolonged and
focused use.

Explicitly supported fields are illustrations, concept art, matte
painting, textures, comics and animations.

Krita is freely available on several platforms and developed in the
open. Artists can get and are involved, making sure it is continually
enhanced regarding actual needs and workflows.
"

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/

Re: Updating the vision

Raghavendra Kamath
On 2017 Jul 27 20:30:51, Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> Nitpicking, but comics and animations should be paired, as they are more
> closely related than with any other item, I'd say.

Yes, I agree.

> > Krita supports artists by working together with them to create an application
> > that supports their creative workflow.
>
> The double "supports" should be edited out.

This is right too.

> "
> Krita is Free Software for sketching and painting, made for artists with
> demanding needs. It offers a complete solution for creating digital art from
> scratch. To this end, it's optimized for frequent, prolonged and focused
> use.
>
> Explicitly supported fields are illustrations, concept art, matte painting,
> textures, comics and animations.
>
> Krita is freely available on several platforms and developed in the open.
> Artists can get and are involved, making sure it is continually enhanced
> regarding actual needs and workflows.
> "

This is much better.

--
Raghavendra Kamath
Illustrator
raghukamath.com

Re: Updating the vision

Scott Petrovic
All these points and direction looks good to me.

On Jul 27, 2017 14:28, "Raghavendra Kamath" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 2017 Jul 27 20:30:51, Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> Nitpicking, but comics and animations should be paired, as they are more
> closely related than with any other item, I'd say.

Yes, I agree.

> > Krita supports artists by working together with them to create an application
> > that supports their creative workflow.
>
> The double "supports" should be edited out.

This is right too.

> "
> Krita is Free Software for sketching and painting, made for artists with
> demanding needs. It offers a complete solution for creating digital art from
> scratch. To this end, it's optimized for frequent, prolonged and focused
> use.
>
> Explicitly supported fields are illustrations, concept art, matte painting,
> textures, comics and animations.
>
> Krita is freely available on several platforms and developed in the open.
> Artists can get and are involved, making sure it is continually enhanced
> regarding actual needs and workflows.
> "

This is much better.

--
Raghavendra Kamath
Illustrator
raghukamath.com

Re: Updating the vision

Boudewijn Rempt-2
I think it's getting a bit too wordy, though -- and a bit imprecise.

> > > Krita is Free Software for sketching and painting, made for artists with
> > > demanding needs. It offers a complete solution for creating digital art from
> > > scratch. To this end, it's optimized for frequent, prolonged and focused
> > > use.

"Free Software" vs  "a free and open source program" -- the reason I put program
in here is that to be precise: we're not making software that can be used from other
application, but an application itself.

> > > Explicitly supported fields are illustrations, concept art, matte painting,
> > > textures, comics and animations.
> > >
> > > Krita is freely available on several platforms and developed in the open.
> > > Artists can get and are involved, making sure it is continually enhanced
> > > regarding actual needs and workflows.
> > > "

That duplicates free again: developed in the open belongs in the what, but that's
already part of free software/free and open source program, too. I'd also put the
cross-platform in the 'what' paragraph. The last paragraph should tell people
why we think they should choose it.

What:

Krita is a free and open source cross-platform application that offers an
end-to-end solution for creating digital art from scratch. Krita is optimized
for or frequent, prolonged and focused use.

For whom:

Explicitly supported fields are illustrations, concept art, matte painting,
textures, comics and animations.

What is the value:

Working together with artist, Krita is an application that supports
their actual needs and workflow.

I'm wondering, given all the work we're doing on psd integration and
svg integration: should we mention interoperability and open standards
here? Something like:

What is the value:

Developed together with artists, Krita is an application that supports
their actual needs and workflow. Krita supports open standards and
interoperates with other applications.

On 12.08.2017 11:24, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> "Free Software" vs  "a free and open source program" -- the reason I put program
> in here is that to be precise: we're not making software that can be used from other
> application, but an application itself.

That was meant to be "Free Software" in the FSF sense, capitalized, to
avoid having to say "free and open source" and to point to the 4
freedoms instead of the vague openness. Writing out "Free Software
application" would be fine, but of course I don't even know if you want
to take such a position. Due to the problematic terminology, it would be
lost on some readers, anyway.

> What:
>
> Krita is a free and open source cross-platform application that offers an
> end-to-end solution for creating digital art from scratch. Krita is optimized
> for or frequent, prolonged and focused use.

Minus the "or" after "for", but I guess you saw that after sending
already ;)

> For whom:
>
> Explicitly supported fields are illustrations, concept art, matte painting,
> textures, comics and animations.
>
> What is the value:
>
> Working together with artist, Krita is an application that supports
> their actual needs and workflow.
>
> I'm wondering, given all the work we're doing on psd integration and
> svg integration: should we mention interoperability and open standards
> here? Something like:
>
> What is the value:
>
> Developed together with artists, Krita is an application that supports
> their actual needs and workflow. Krita supports open standards and
> interoperates with other applications.

If "application" appears in the first sentence, it has no need to appear
here again. I think it should be plural – workflows. One "Krita" could
be replaced with "it" and the second "supports" could be "implements".

"
Developed together with artists, Krita supports their actual needs and
workflows. It implements open standards and interoperates with other
applications.
"

Hmm, maybe, _if_ it's mainly about file im- and export, it should say so?

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/

Re: Updating the vision

Boudewijn Rempt-2
On Sun, 13 Aug 2017, Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> On 12.08.2017 11:24, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>
> > "Free Software" vs  "a free and open source program" -- the reason I put
> > program
> > in here is that to be precise: we're not making software that can be used
> > from other
> > application, but an application itself.
>
> That was meant to be "Free Software" in the FSF sense, capitalized, to avoid
> having to say "free and open source" and to point to the 4 freedoms instead of
> the vague openness. Writing out "Free Software application" would be fine, but
> of course I don't even know if you want to take such a position. Due to the
> problematic terminology, it would be lost on some readers, anyway.
That's why I wrote "a free and open source program" -- it's clearer to more
people.

> > What:
> >
> > Krita is a free and open source cross-platform application that offers an
> > end-to-end solution for creating digital art from scratch. Krita is
> > optimized
> > for or frequent, prolonged and focused use.
>
> Minus the "or" after "for", but I guess you saw that after sending already ;)
>
> > For whom:
> >
> > Explicitly supported fields are illustrations, concept art, matte painting,
> > textures, comics and animations.
> >
> > What is the value:
> >
> > Working together with artist, Krita is an application that supports
> > their actual needs and workflow.
> >
> > I'm wondering, given all the work we're doing on psd integration and
> > svg integration: should we mention interoperability and open standards
> > here? Something like:
> >
> > What is the value:
> >
> > Developed together with artists, Krita is an application that supports
> > their actual needs and workflow. Krita supports open standards and
> > interoperates with other applications.
>
> If "application" appears in the first sentence, it has no need to appear here
> again. I think it should be plural – workflows. One "Krita" could be replaced
> with "it" and the second "supports" could be "implements".
>
> "
> Developed together with artists, Krita supports their actual needs and
> workflows. It implements open standards and interoperates with other
> applications.
> "
>
> Hmm, maybe, _if_ it's mainly about file im- and export, it should say so?
No, because we do want to go further than import/export, but also drag/drop
copy/paste, integration into pipelines, support for the VFX standard and
so on.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.krita.org, http://www.valdyas.org