Why does kmail insist on having ldap available?

Why does kmail insist on having ldap available?

Peter Humphrey-3
I've just noticed my Gentoo system updating openldap and looked into what
needed it. All dependencies were conditional except for kldap, which requires
it. Then I found that six KDE apps insist on kdap and thus openldap.

My question: why is ldap not optional? What proportion of user installations
actually use it?

--
Gentoo testing system
gcc 9.1.0, sys-kernel/gentoo-sources 5.2.2

Re: Why does kmail insist on having ldap available?

René J.V. Bertin
On Thursday July 25 2019 10:26:50 Peter Humphrey wrote:
>Then I found that six KDE apps insist on kdap and thus openldap.

"Insist on" as in it's a required dependency according to their CMake file, or as in "Gentoo decided not to bother maintaining a build/install option for an optional dependency"?

R.

Re: Why does kmail insist on having ldap available?

Daniel Vrátil -2
On Thursday, 25 July 2019 11:26:50 CEST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> I've just noticed my Gentoo system updating openldap and looked into what
> needed it. All dependencies were conditional except for kldap, which
> requires it. Then I found that six KDE apps insist on kdap and thus
> openldap.
>
> My question: why is ldap not optional? What proportion of user installations
> actually use it?

As far as I can see LDAP is used by Kleopatra (to lookup GPG keys in LDAP
directory), email address autocompletion in KMail composer and in KOrganizer
incidence editor to look up attendees in LDAP directory (there's probably
more, I just quickly grepped the codebase).  I'm not sure about Kleopatra, but
in case of the autocompletion and incidence editor the LDAP integration could
be turned into proper optional plugins, but let's face it: we have bigger
issues right now :-)

Any help with this effort would be much welcomed, though, I'd be happy to
guide/help with this task, if anyone's interested.

/Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | [hidden email]

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683

On Monday, 29 July 2019 09:41:03 BST Daniel Vrátil wrote:

> On Thursday, 25 July 2019 11:26:50 CEST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > I've just noticed my Gentoo system updating openldap and looked into what
> > needed it. All dependencies were conditional except for kldap, which
> > requires it. Then I found that six KDE apps insist on kdap and thus
> > openldap.
> >
> > My question: why is ldap not optional? What proportion of user
> > installations actually use it?
>
> As far as I can see LDAP is used by Kleopatra (to lookup GPG keys in LDAP
> directory), email address autocompletion in KMail composer and in KOrganizer
> incidence editor to look up attendees in LDAP directory (there's probably
> more, I just quickly grepped the codebase).  I'm not sure about Kleopatra,
> but in case of the autocompletion and incidence editor the LDAP integration
> could be turned into proper optional plugins, but let's face it: we have
> bigger issues right now :-)

I see what you mean.

> Any help with this effort would be much welcomed, though, I'd be happy to
> guide/help with this task, if anyone's interested.

I'm afraid my coding days are 30 years in the past, and never included C++ or
anything like it. Pity. Thanks for the explanation anyway.

Peter.

On Monday July 29 2019 10:41:03 Daniel Vrátil wrote:

>> I've just noticed my Gentoo system updating openldap and looked into what
>> needed it. All dependencies were conditional except for kldap, which
>> requires it. Then I found that six KDE apps insist on kdap and thus
>> openldap.
>>
>> My question: why is ldap not optional? What proportion of user installations
>> actually use it?

FWIW and AFAICT I have openldap on my system because it is a dependency for samba, among other things. Now not everyone may have need for that bit of software but I'm guessing that the proportion of user installations using *that* is probably significantly larger than that using ldap in kmail ;)

R.