border (or frame??) missing on Konsole

FHDATA

hello,

I am using KDE 4.4.14

I have my Scroll bar ... on the left side...

The right side has nothing so when I hover mouse
to let say  stretch the window [horizontally] it's
visually difficult (for my old eyes) to spot the
border (which does not really exist)

how can I get the border enabled on Konsole?

thank you,
F-

Re: border (or frame??) missing on Konsole

Stephen Dowdy
On 08/08/2017 02:57 PM, FHDATA wrote:

> I am using KDE 4.4.14
>
> I have my Scroll bar ... on the left side...
>
> The right side has nothing so when I hover mouse
> to let say  stretch the window [horizontally] it's visually difficult (for my old eyes) to spot the border (which does not really exist)
>
> how can I get the border enabled on Konsole?

F,

I'm not sure if you are talking about the changes that cause the border to not be displayed when a window is bumped against a screen edge.  (the outer border used to be used as the "magnet" on a corner, but now the border is placed offscreen with the edge of window content being abutted to the screen edge)

The plasma developers argued this change based upon Fitt's Law (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitts%27s_law) IIRC, though i don't know the exact argument that was used.
(I personally am one of the detractors of that -- it should definitely be a user-controlled preference)

Anyway, as the KDE Window borders have always been WAY to small by default, i rarely use them, and instead you Mouse/Keyboard accelerators:

    <ALT> + <Right-Mouse-Button-Drag>

can be used Internally NEAR an edge or corner of a window to resize it.

    <ALT> + <Left-Mouse-Button-Drag>

moves a window.

So, just get within an inch of a corner of a konsole window with "<ALT><Right-Mouse-Button>" and drag the corner where you want.

In Plasma5 this is the ONLY way to resize the plasma panel popups (K-Launcher, notifications, etc), as there are no active edges/corners to grab :-( )

Now, instead if this is a window-rule you accidentally (or intentionally got setup):

    $ kcmshell4 --list | grep -i rules   (kshell5 --list | grep -i rules   # in plasma5)
    should show you 'kwinrules'.
    $ kcmshell4 kwinrules
* kcmshell is a direct route to 'systemsettings' application, and kwinrules is same as title-bar Context (right-click) -> "More Actions" -> Window-Manager Settings -> "Window Rules"

You probably would have a rule in there that had an override in
   [Appearance and Fixes]
        [X] No titlebar and frame   [ Action Context ]  [X] Yes  [ ] No

--stephen

--
Stephen Dowdy  -  Systems Administrator  -  NCAR/RAL
303.497.2869   -  [hidden email]        -  http://www.ral.ucar.edu/~sdowdy/

Re: border (or frame??) missing on Konsole

René J. V.  Bertin
On Tuesday August 08 2017 16:30:26 Stephen Dowdy wrote:

>> how can I get the border enabled on Konsole?

Have you tried (in systemsettings) Workspace Appearance/Window Decorations/Configure Decoration/General/Border Size ?

In Plasma5 that would be Application Style/Window Decorations/Border Size .

>Anyway, as the KDE Window borders have always been WAY to small by default, i rarely use them, and instead you Mouse/Keyboard accelerators:

Either that, or too wide, IMHO. Fortunately KWin4 allows you to hover the mouse on/near a border, trying to find the spot where the mouse cursor changes into a resizing icon; then you can grab and drag to your heart's content. AFAIK that also works in KWin5 .

Of course you can also just use a different WM, though with KWin doing quite a bit more than just managing and decorating windows I have no idea what will be left of the desktop experience. It might be better just to use a different DE altogether; your favourite KDE applications should continue to function just fine.

R.

Re: border (or frame??) missing on Konsole

John_82
On Tue, 8 Aug 2017 14:57:45 -0600 (MDT)
FHDATA <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hello,
>

> I am using KDE 4.4.14
>

> I have my Scroll bar ... on the left side...
>
> The right side has nothing so when I hover mouse
> to let say  stretch the window [horizontally] it's
> visually difficult (for my old eyes) to spot the
> border (which does not really exist)
>
> how can I get the border enabled on Konsole?
>

> thank you,
> F-

Not sure about KDE4 but on 5 I think grabbing edges to resize can be made easier by going to system settings - input devices - mouse - advanced and setting the pointer threshold to a higher pixel count. I have mine set to 8 with 2x5 acceleration. I move the mouse pretty quickly and even that is a little fiddly and need to slow down near them.

You may also find something that has an effect in the various window settings.

John
-

Re: [solved] border (or frame??) missing on Konsole

FHDATA

my fault -- of not looking thru availavle desktop themes.

I was using KDE's default, oxygen

whichever side your scroll is, the other side, under oxygen,
will not have any border.

I am now using another 'Windows Decoration' that is
enabling me to  see the broader.

no more cat&mouse game while streching the window ;-)

thank you,
F-