default color-scheme?

<-_-_-|Rek2|-_-_-->
Hi, I am working on a new distro, I am the maintainer of KDE, everything
I got is working just fine, great.. but one thing..
I am trying to change the default color-scheme by default... but when I
put the livecd together and even when I install
it just ignores the setting and installs into the user direcory ~/.kde
space another config file I have never wrote..
in my case is kdeglobals I am adding:
[KDE]
colorScheme=Mytheme.kcsrc

but it just ignores it.. I have to manually do it from the gui and of
course this is not what I need, I need this change globally so any new user
and the livecd gets those colours..

before I decided to come here for help I google the hell out of me, but
is all GUI related.. I have not found a way to do it from the shell and
make it system default.
so if I wipe ~/.kde  the new ~/.kde comes with *my* defaults.

Thanks
Chris Fernandez.

Re: default color-scheme?

Torsten Rahn
Hi Chris,

Am Samstag, 9. Dezember 2006 02:43 schrieb rek2GNU/Linux:
> Hi, I am working on a new distro, I am the maintainer of KDE, everything
> I got is working just fine, great.. but one thing..

It's always good to hear about new distros using KDE. What kind of distro is
this :-) ?

> I am trying to change the default color-scheme by default... but when I
> put the livecd together and even when I install
> it just ignores the setting and installs into the user direcory ~/.kde

Do you know about the kde-config tool? It tells you about the ressources and
paths KDE is retrieving its information from:

kde-config --types

lists the different kinds of ressources and

kde-config --path config

lists the paths KDE is browsing to find the proper configuration.
You can add further paths using KDE's Kiosk framework. If you haven't heard
about it yet, I'd suggest to you to read about it. You can basically use it
to create your own profile and store it seperately from the default system
configuration.
I'd suggest to you to subscribe to the kde-kiosk mailing list as people there
should be more familiar with problems like this.

Torsten

Re: default color-scheme?

<-_-_-|Rek2|-_-_-->
Hi Torsten,  I am working on the KDE version of gnewsense
(http://www.gnewsense.org) is basically a fork from ubuntu
and I am doing basically the Kubuntu fork. everything is done, I just
need to add my theme to be able to upload (builder, a set of scripts
that automatize the whole creating of the distro) right know
builder is done only for gnewsense gnome.. I already did the right
changes/add ons to be able to do a kde system on it. after the color
scheme im done.. I have usplash, kdm and kplash with my own  custom
themes made for it, but the color scheme is just giving me trouble :-)
let me see what I find with your tips, I very much appreciate it.

Have a good one
Chris Fernandez.

Torsten Rahn wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Am Samstag, 9. Dezember 2006 02:43 schrieb rek2GNU/Linux:
>
>> Hi, I am working on a new distro, I am the maintainer of KDE, everything
>> I got is working just fine, great.. but one thing..
>>

> It's always good to hear about new distros using KDE. What kind of distro is
> this :-) ?
>

>> I am trying to change the default color-scheme by default... but when I
>> put the livecd together and even when I install
>> it just ignores the setting and installs into the user direcory ~/.kde
>>

> Do you know about the kde-config tool? It tells you about the ressources and
> paths KDE is retrieving its information from:
>
> kde-config --types
>
> lists the different kinds of ressources and
>
> kde-config --path config
>
> lists the paths KDE is browsing to find the proper configuration.
> You can add further paths using KDE's Kiosk framework. If you haven't heard
> about it yet, I'd suggest to you to read about it. You can basically use it
> to create your own profile and store it seperately from the default system
> configuration.
> I'd suggest to you to subscribe to the kde-kiosk mailing list as people there
> should be more familiar with problems like this.
>
> Torsten

Re: default color-scheme?

<-_-_-|Rek2|-_-_-->
Just in case I am doing something wrong.. here is what I do.. PLEASE let
me know if I am..

this is on a debian based distro, actually kubuntu base distro..

I created a path:
/usr/share/mydistro-default-settings/kde-profile/default/share/config/
in config I have "kdeglobals"

in KDE globals I add this line:
under [KDE]

colorScheme=mydistroColours.kcsrc

of course I edit /etc/kderc and kde knows about this path:
I know cause I run:
kde-config --path config  and I get
/home/user/.kde/share/config:/etc/kde3:/usr/share/mydistro-default-settings/kde-profile/default/share/config:

so what does my color scheme is not working as default in the system?
I wipe  ~/.kde  and when I log in it will still show the old default
scheme(the regular kde blues etc)

this is the place to ask for this.. KDE lists :-) if people don't know
here is going to be tuff to me to find out some other place... :-(

Cheers
Chris