disable akonadi

123

disable akonadi

Bernd Nachtigall
Hi,

my favoured GUI is KDE. But since KMail et. al. is such a PITA I don't
use applikation which needs akonadi anymore.

How can I disable akonadi so that there is no restart at each new login?

Bernd

Re: disable akonadi

René J.V. Bertin
On Friday August 31 2018 07:35:48 Bernd Nachtigall wrote:

>How can I disable akonadi so that there is no restart at each new login?

Akonadi is also used for calendar features, including those that are accessible through the default clock widget in the main desktop panel. It also handles notes and contacts. Just use something like akonadiconsole to remove all agents that you really don't need including possibly the baloo indexing agent. Then do a `akonadictl vacuum`. That should minimise the resources used by akonadi to a minimum and most likely to a level where you don't notice it's being started.

The spacewarmer agents are the email-related ones AFAIK.

R.

Re: disable akonadi

stakanov-2
In data venerdì 31 agosto 2018 07:35:48 CEST, Bernd Nachtigall ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> my favoured GUI is KDE. But since KMail et. al. is such a PITA I don't
> use applikation which needs akonadi anymore.
>
> How can I disable akonadi so that there is no restart at each new login?
>
> Bernd
Depending on the version you use, the PITA may well be mariadb with akonadi.
It is a mayor resource hog and did work with me (Leap 15) in a catastrophic
way for what is reliability and database conservation.
I changed to postgres96 (as in Leap the version 10 seems not to work with
akonadi and the postgreslight sql seems to have major performance problems
with kde).
I am now at more than two month and the usual problems of Kontact/kmail as
there are duplication, left right error, irretrievable content, loss of data
(which are all IME typical features of kontact/kmail with mariadb) are gone!
If you do use kmail you should also know that it is IME worthless to save the
filters after an update of kde. You need to set them up from scratch or you
will have CPU loads of 100% and functional blocks. So, first change to
postgres96, then eliminate the filters and set them up again.
Do then a akonadictl fsck and that should give you a much better experience.

If you do not have opensuse Leap YMMV. I can obviously not know.
If you need some hint on how to do it, I can post it here (in case you need
advice, it is quite - still only quite - straightforward as procedure).

Ihre E-Mail-Postfächer sicher & zentral an einem Ort. Jetzt wechseln und alte E-Mail-Adresse mitnehmen! https://www.eclipso.de

Re: disable akonadi

Draciron Smith
I had the same issue. Akondi was clobbering my system and making it utterly unusable. It is a resource MONSTER.  I wouldn't even consider running it without at least 16 gigs of ram and the way I multitask I doubt that's enough.

I got it stopped, don't remember exactly what I did but I think I followed this

~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc change StartServer=true to StartServer=false

Should keep it from autostarting once you disable the Akondi enabled apps from kicking off.

I did leave Baloo running, it doesn't seem to kick off the server and all the related garbage and the default clock widgit is also running and doesn't seem to cause me any difficulty. Every time I boot which isn't often I still go in and kill a bunch of processes.

Most of the apps I never use anyway. My phone serves as my contact manager. I switched to web based email years ago. Though I have gigs of KDE mail and mail I'd love to convert to KDE mail format that I cannot open on a KDE 5 machine for fear of starting Akondi and bringing my machine to it's knees.

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 12:36 AM Bernd Nachtigall <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

my favoured GUI is KDE. But since KMail et. al. is such a PITA I don't
use applikation which needs akonadi anymore.

How can I disable akonadi so that there is no restart at each new login?

Bernd

Re: disable akonadi

René J.V. Bertin
On Friday August 31 2018 11:41:55 Draciron Smith wrote:

>unusable. It is a resource MONSTER.  I wouldn't even consider running it
>without at least 16 gigs of ram and the way I multitask I doubt that's
>enough.

I've been using it on a 5 or 6 yo netbook with only 8Gb of RAM and using ZFS (itself a memory eater). With a bit of tuning of the fetching intervals it is slowish but perfectly usable without monopolising the machine.
That was PIM 4.13 though, to be honest. The current KMail depends on QtWebEngine which is itself a resource monster, so it has to be worse.

>I did leave Baloo running, it doesn't seem to kick off the server and all

FWIW, the akonadi baloo agent serves to integrate PIM metadata with the baloo-based desktop indexing feature which otherwise does not depend on akonadi. The indexing itself can be a hog too.

R.

Re: disable akonadi

Duncan-42
Bernd Nachtigall posted on Fri, 31 Aug 2018 07:35:48 +0200 as excerpted:

> Hi,
>
> my favoured GUI is KDE. But since KMail et. al. is such a PITA I don't
> use applikation which needs akonadi anymore.
>
> How can I disable akonadi so that there is no restart at each new login?

Here on gentoo, after switching away from anything kdepim related
including kmail and akregator, I set USE=-semantic-desktop, rebuilt the
various bits of kde/plasma that had that USE flag, and got rid of
akonadi, baloo, back when it was otherwise necessary nepomuk, and several
other related packages.  They're not on my system at all now so /can't/
run! =:^)

Other than some metadata for images, etc, which I can get other ways if I
need it, I don't miss it.  Rather the opposite as the system's *SO* much
faster and less bloated, now! =:^)

In fact, it was enough of a difference that in the late kde4 and early
kde5/plasma5 era when gentoo/kde decided they weren't going to support
USE=-semantic-desktop any longer, I found it worthwhile to continue
maintaining the kde4 patches to disable building against it, and then to
figure out kde5 patches for plasma-workspace and plasma-desktop (the only
two things I had installed in plasma5 that actually /required/ it at that
point, and it was baloo they wanted) on my own.  Eventually upstream kde/
plasma decided they didn't want tied to baloo, which had pretty well been
abandoned by then and was just hobbling along with keep-it-working
patches, any more anyway, and they added the option to disable it, which
the gentoo/kde folks quickly took advantage of, exposing the option to
users via USE=-semantic-desktop again, and I was able to drop the patches
I had been carrying locally.

--
Duncan - List replies preferred.   No HTML msgs.
and if you use the program, he is your master."  Richard Stallman

Re: disable akonadi

René J.V. Bertin
On Saturday September 01 2018 01:09:23 Duncan wrote:

>Other than some metadata for images, etc, which I can get other ways if I
>need it, I don't miss it.  Rather the opposite as the system's *SO* much
>faster and less bloated, now! =:^)

Funny. I rarely use the feature under KDE, but on my Mac I do appreciate the equivalent called Spotlight a few times a week. Of course you hardly notice it's there most of the time.

OTOH, I use KMail (4.1x) on both KDE and Mac, and on the Mac I do miss being able to do useful searches in my email. Not enough to have delved in to figure out why I can only search email headers, not content - the fact my KDE desktop is never far away must have something to do with that :)

OTOH2: the locate database gets rebuilt once a day on my Linux, typically when I wake the system in the morning - and that's really noticeable.

Re: disable akonadi

Draciron Smith
The difference is night and day for me.  I'll get an app open, maybe a music player, maybe a web browser. Open a 2nd app and the machine starts churning. If I don't head strait for a konsole window and kill Akondi processes I will wind up mashing the power button as it locks up so hard I can't even get to a console window to kill processes or SSH in. With Akondi shut down down I can can have 20 FF or Chrome tabs open, 4 or 5 Office Libre tabs open, Clemintine up and playing tunes, a few Dolphin windows and so on. If the machine gets slow I close a few things.  Until I put KDE 5 on this machine the last time I had to reboot a Linux system by the power button was years ago.

I was a bit leery of leaving Baloo running. I had to take out Neopunk on KDE 4 systems because it was such an unnice resource hog. Not had those issues with Baloo and I'll agree spotlight can be nice. I also run a Mac. I use it mostly for recording,  primarily because it's near impossible to find drivers for some of my break out boxes, effects pedals and such, as well as Sound One which I love as a DAW. Audacity is a good basic DAW but I sometimes need the more advanced features of Sound One and it doesn't cost an arm and leg like Cubase and a whole lot easier to use. It's interface is more like Audacity's and Cakewalk which is what I used back when I still had a windoze machine for recording. I also wind up doing Skype and a few other things that are much better supported on the Mac than Linux on the Mac.

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 12:10 PM René J.V. Bertin <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Friday August 31 2018 11:41:55 Draciron Smith wrote:

>unusable. It is a resource MONSTER.  I wouldn't even consider running it
>without at least 16 gigs of ram and the way I multitask I doubt that's
>enough.

I've been using it on a 5 or 6 yo netbook with only 8Gb of RAM and using ZFS (itself a memory eater). With a bit of tuning of the fetching intervals it is slowish but perfectly usable without monopolising the machine.
That was PIM 4.13 though, to be honest. The current KMail depends on QtWebEngine which is itself a resource monster, so it has to be worse.

>I did leave Baloo running, it doesn't seem to kick off the server and all

FWIW, the akonadi baloo agent serves to integrate PIM metadata with the baloo-based desktop indexing feature which otherwise does not depend on akonadi. The indexing itself can be a hog too.

R.

Re: disable akonadi

René J.V. Bertin
On Saturday September 01 2018 10:34:02 Draciron Smith wrote:

> The difference is night and day for me.  I'll get an app open, maybe a
> music player, maybe a web browser. Open a 2nd app and the machine starts
> churning. If I don't head strait for a konsole window and kill Akondi
> processes I will wind up mashing the power button as it locks up so hard I

Something is definitely wrong there. What Akonadi agents are or were you using that blocked the machine to such an extent? It doesn't make sense that they would consume more resources than FF or Chrome running a full-blown session (FF is worse in terms of RAM usage than Chrome these days)...
I'm tempted to ask if you have a sufficiently large swap partition but you must because otherwise I don't see how one could run FF/Chrome plus LibreOffice with a bunch of documents open.

Re: disable akonadi

Draciron Smith
My normal desktop is Chrome with 20-50 tabs open, on this machine it's KDE 4 so I had to switch to Open Office as Office Libre was super unstable. I often have 7  to 10 documents open at same time as those Chrome tabs, plus a Kate session with 3-10 docs in the Kate session plus misc apps such as Dolphin, Krusader, Kconvert, Audacity, perhaps a few FF tabs and so on. I do that on 4 gigs of ram and have for years.

On the first machine machine I put KDE 5 on, it only has 2 gigs of ram and 2 gig swap partition. It's sort of reflex for me to create swap partition same size as ram. In hindsight I probably should have gone with a 4 gig swap partition. With Akondi running it will even if I'm doing nothing on that machine I will hear it start churning several hours after I boot it. If I start putting a load on it then it craters rather quickly.

That's the thing. I am not using ANY Akondi agents. I use webmail clients for email, my phone is my contact manager, I never use Knotes or any other Akondi enabled apps.

Since I disabled Akondi I have no problem having several Office Libre documents open at the same time as a dozen Chrome or FF tabs including several that use Flash, as well as 2 to 5 PDF files open, Clemintine, perhaps a Krusader or a few Dolphin windows and a Konsole session. I always have a Konsole window open. First thing I do when I reboot. Since disabling Akondi the only time I reboot is normal Kernel update reboots. Prior that I might get a day or two before having to reboot, usually a cold boot using the power button because it's churning so bad I can't even get to a console window or SSH in to bring the machine down gracefully.

On this machine SSh server is running and I took down some stuff like Samba and MySQL and I had Barrios installed but it was too heavy on resources for my liking on this machine so I removed it. My original intent with this machine was to essentially a jukebox and once I'm done figuring out if I can continue using KDE or am going to be forced to switched to XFCE  I will be building a few newer machines and this will go back to being primarily a jukebox. My old Mac died however and I had to offload what I normally do on the Mac to this 2 gig machine and with Akondi disabled it's a little slow despite being a 7 year old Emachine that was low end even 7 years ago, but gets the job done. I had 1.5 gigs of Ram consumed before I opened ANYTHING with Akondi running. It essentially turned a 2 gig machine into a half gig machine.

I'll agree with you on FF being more memory intensive. In fact is has a rather large memory leak somewhere, especially when dealing with Flash websites.  Which is the primary reason I switched to Chrome as primary browser about 5 years ago. I still use FF for plugins that Chrome doesn't have such as downloading videos, for secondary email accounts, things like that. I don't usually leave it continuously running like I do Chrome which stays up from about 10 seconds after I reboot until I reboot again or after 2 or 3 months I might kill it and restart it to recover memory lost to memory leaks if a kernel update hasn't forced me to reboot in a few months.  All my machines run 24/7.

Am 31.08.2018 um 12:11 schrieb stakanov:
> In data venerdì 31 agosto 2018 07:35:48 CEST, Bernd Nachtigall ha scritto:
(...)
>> How can I disable akonadi so that there is no restart at each new login?
(...)

> Depending on the version you use, the PITA may well be mariadb with akonadi.

Hi stakanow,

I remember that I seems you have a hight knowledge about KDE :-)

Perfect! Now somebody with a expirience in KDE development could repair
the postgreSQL10 (or maybe better figure out how to use SQLite. So it is
not neccessary to run a big DB-Service) issues and configure a STABLE
and EVERYWHERE RUNABLE configuration for akonadi ;-)
After this I think a lot of users come back to Kontact and it very good
integration in the desktop.

Because I left Kontact et. al. I want to find a solution to disable
akonadi_davgroupware_resource. This brings regulay a lot of messages to
give the pwd for kWallet.

Just now I have added 'aconadictl stop' to a file in Autostart
(~/.kde/Autostart/stopakonadi.sh) but do not know if this is the
correct/recommended way.

> If you do not have opensuse Leap YMMV. I can obviously not know.
Indeed, I should have give this information ;-)

# zypper se -i -s kded
Repository-Daten werden geladen...
Installierte Pakete werden gelesen...

S | Name      | Typ   | Version    | Arch   | Repository
--+-----------+-------+------------+--------+-----------------------
i | kded      | Paket | 5.32.0-1.3 | x86_64 | openSUSE-Leap-42.3-Oss
i | kded-lang | Paket | 5.32.0-1.3 | noarch | openSUSE-Leap-42.3-Oss

Bernd

Re: disable akonadi

pete nikolic
One thing that I always find amusing is when people start whingeing about performance then you see a statement like I use chrome  with 20 to 50 tabs open what justification have you got for WAISTING so many resources on browser tabs  I find it laughable I have not had ONE person come back with a valid excuse for such waste yet maybe you will do better I doubt it thou .

Pete .

On Saturday September 01 2018 21:51:57 Draciron Smith wrote:

>On the first machine machine I put KDE 5 on, it only has 2 gigs of ram and
>2 gig swap partition. It's sort of reflex for me to create swap partition
>same size as ram. In hindsight I probably should have gone with a 4 gig

The reflex should be to create a swap partition 2x the size of RAM. More is possible but I'm not sure if it will help.
Of course one uses a fast part of the disk for this ;)

Running the kind of session you describe on a machine with only 2Gb of RAM is probably an exercise in SM with any modern DE... Chrome readily uses around 600Mb just for the central process, FireFox even more; extensions like AdBlock run as a separate process and can grow quite large; the same applies for each tab you open. Audacity is surprisingly lightweight in comparison, even for large projects.
(You'd at least need to install The Great Suspender in all the browsers you use.)

>That's the thing. I am not using ANY Akondi agents. I use webmail clients
>for email, my phone is my contact manager, I never use Knotes or any other
>Akondi enabled apps.

So what akonadi process was hogging?
I don't think I ever had zero akonadi agents configured, did you ever try to add a single agent that's unlikely to use a lot of resources, like a local calendar? There is (or used to be) an akonadi dependency in the default clock panel widget, and I could imagine that no one thought to check how that behaves when akonadi is running without any agents. The akonadi server is the central access hub for all PIM functionality and badly written clients could well bombard it with requests if they detect akonadi on the dbus without ever checking if the agent they want is available.

R.

Re: disable akonadi

Duncan-42
René J.V. Bertin posted on Sat, 01 Sep 2018 10:29:02 +0200 as excerpted:

> On Saturday September 01 2018 01:09:23 Duncan wrote:
>
>>Other than some metadata for images, etc, which I can get other ways if
>>I need it, I don't miss it.  Rather the opposite as the system's *SO*
>>much faster and less bloated, now! =:^)
>
> Funny. I rarely use the feature under KDE, but on my Mac I do appreciate
> the equivalent called Spotlight a few times a week. Of course you hardly
> notice it's there most of the time.
>
> OTOH, I use KMail (4.1x) on both KDE and Mac, and on the Mac I do miss
> being able to do useful searches in my email. Not enough to have delved
> in to figure out why I can only search email headers, not content - the
> fact my KDE desktop is never far away must have something to do with
> that :)

> OTOH2: the locate database gets rebuilt once a day on my Linux,
> typically when I wake the system in the morning - and that's really
> noticeable.

Do you find that you actually use locate enough to be worth the trouble
of the constant updates?  I never did here, and that was back on slow
spinning rust, and ssd makes real-time searches even faster.  Seriously,
between the fact that I make reasonable use of the directory tree to
organize things, and databases such as the installed-package database I
can query for some files, even if I don't know exactly where something
is, I can normally narrow it down far enough that a real-time search is
fast /enough/ that the constant database updates, even when I /don't/ use
them, simply aren't worth the trouble, for as little as I'd actually use
them.

And of course the mail (claws-mail, mh-dir hierarchial tree format) and
news (nntp, single-level flat dir for my nearly 2 GiB message-cache
archive of some text groups going back to 2002) messages can be grepped
as well.  Actually, the news archive would best justify database
indexing, as searching thru 2 GiB of text messages even on ssd can take
some time, but even there, I don't really do it often enough to justify
it having to constantly update.

On Sunday September 02 2018 09:57:18 Pete Nikolic wrote:
>One thing that I always find amusing is when people start whingeing about
>performance then you see a statement like I use chrome  with 20 to 50 tabs
>open what justification have you got for WAISTING so many resources on
>browser tabs  I find it laughable I have not had ONE person come back with
>a valid excuse for such waste yet maybe you will do better I doubt it thou .

Maybe people just don't bother discussing with who apparently thinks punctuation and spell checking are something anatomical? O:-)

Re: disable akonadi

René J.V. Bertin
On Sunday September 02 2018 09:04:14 Duncan wrote:

>Do you find that you actually use locate enough to be worth the trouble
>of the constant updates?  I never did here, and that was back on slow

Yes, I think so. I'll use `find` if I know exactly where I want to search or my search key requires it, and `locate` for most other cases (or when the search location is a very large tree with lots of branches requiring elevated permissions; locate will skip those silently).

I *notice* the locate db update, but I didn't say it *bothers* me. Most of the time it's completes before I finish sifting through and replying to my morning email.

Re: disable akonadi

stakanov-2
In data domenica 2 settembre 2018 10:21:38 CEST, Bernd Nachtigall ha scritto:

> Am 31.08.2018 um 12:11 schrieb stakanov:
> > In data venerdì 31 agosto 2018 07:35:48 CEST, Bernd Nachtigall ha scritto:
> (...)
>
> >> How can I disable akonadi so that there is no restart at each new login?
>
> (...)
>
> > Depending on the version you use, the PITA may well be mariadb with
> > akonadi.
> Hi stakanow,
>
> I remember that I seems you have a hight knowledge about KDE :-)
>
> Perfect! Now somebody with a expirience in KDE development could repair
> the postgreSQL10 (or maybe better figure out how to use SQLite. So it is
> not neccessary to run a big DB-Service) issues and configure a STABLE
> and EVERYWHERE RUNABLE configuration for akonadi ;-)
> After this I think a lot of users come back to Kontact and it very good
> integration in the desktop.
>
> Because I left Kontact et. al. I want to find a solution to disable
> akonadi_davgroupware_resource. This brings regulay a lot of messages to
> give the pwd for kWallet.
>
> Just now I have added 'aconadictl stop' to a file in Autostart
> (~/.kde/Autostart/stopakonadi.sh) but do not know if this is the
> correct/recommended way.
>
> > If you do not have opensuse Leap YMMV. I can obviously not know.
>
> Indeed, I should have give this information ;-)
>
> # zypper se -i -s kded
> Repository-Daten werden geladen...
> Installierte Pakete werden gelesen...
>
> S | Name      | Typ   | Version    | Arch   | Repository
> --+-----------+-------+------------+--------+-----------------------
> i | kded      | Paket | 5.32.0-1.3 | x86_64 | openSUSE-Leap-42.3-Oss
> i | kded-lang | Paket | 5.32.0-1.3 | noarch | openSUSE-Leap-42.3-Oss
>

> Bernd
OK, I see. With that version of KDE I had the following issues:
the indexes did corrupt and you had to run on a regular basis: close with exit
kontact, open akonadikonsole, clear the cache of the folder hit by it and then
you have to exit akonadiconsole (because the menu point forseen to restart
akonadi is crashing the program.
So you close it and run: akonadictl stop.
Then, you should run kontact/kmail, which will also restart akonadi. Open the
folder in question and wait for it to be repopulated.
Now in terminal (with kmail/kontact running run akonadictl fsck
when done, I generally tend to close all an run akonadictl restart. Maybe it
is possible to restart akonadi with kontact running, by my experience is it
gets unresponsive.
I had severe filter problems after the update. You can take every filter, make
a newone (call it filtern+n to distinguish it (so dhl gets dhl1 e.g.) so you
can copy the values from the old to the new filter. You then eliminate the old
filter and save. I am not yet sure why this is necessary (it seems a format
problem of the database version or of the way kontact sets up filters?) but it
gets you rid of the high load of CPU.
You could (with 42.3) really try to use postgressql96 (it is supported still a
long time, AFAIK more than two full year, in the meanwhile I would hope the
problems are either solved or akonadi is recognized as a problem by its very
design and abandoned.

To do so:
backup the following folders (by copying them into a new directory and
renaming them to old e.g.) so that, if everything fails you can go back. What
I tell you now is a procedure you run on your won risk so a backup of your /
home seems advisable!

How to change to postgres96 in opensuse Leap (advice and kudos go to the users
"knurpth" and "ianseeks" of the mailing list:

Install postgresql 9.6
This will install also postgres10. In order to use 9.6 you have to install the
package: yast-update-alternatives. You can do so via yast. This allows you to
select it in various and in a GUI to impose the use of the version.

 --config postgresql (by upgrade alternatives)

 Stop akonadi, move ~/.local/share/akonadi so that you can go back if things
go South on you. (So copy it to an extra directory and give it the "old" name.

Change ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc like this (I would advise to save the
original copy with "old" too.

Back up also "local-mail" with another directory and "old-name".

==============
[Debug]
 Tracer=null

[%General]
Driver=QPSQL

 [QPSQL]
 Host=/tmp/akonadi-YOURUSERNAME.SOMEHASH
 InitDbPath=/usr/bin/initdb
 Name=akonadi
 Options=
 ServerPath=/usr/bin/pg_ctl
 StartServer=true
 ==============

were yourusername is the username you have and "some hash" is some weired
combination you see when you open the original file (to be copied exactly).

Start akonadi and the database will be rebuilt. For me (with an old ironlake)
it took a day to have the whole indexing file rebuild. On new machines it may
be as short as 20 minutes. YMMV depending on the size of your hardware. Be
patient!

When having renamed the databases you can also do all in the CLI instead of
yast (whatever is better for you).

cli, as root. After stopping akonadi, and the backup of the
mysql database, local-mail, changing the akonadiserverrc, etc etc.

su
zypper in libQt5Sql5-postgresql
# or the equivalent for your Leap version
zypper in postgresql96-server

update-alternatives --config postgresql
# choose the option for 96
systemctl enable postgresql.service
systemctl start postgresql.service

exit

As user
akonadictl start

Worked for me like charm, however: control after the change the accounts and
correct the directories were the stuff should go after the change. I had a
unwanted change there (can be corrected easily, one time operation).
If you have setup you filter before O.K. If not, as said above,  case of
filter problems you could then proceed to set them up anew.

For me that lowered the CPU charge and the system temperature note-worthily.
But I did that with 15, with 42.3 I changed because of the indexing problems.

What Leap 15 has is (or by akonadi or by qt-web) and enormous memory leak
after suspend to disk and waking up. There I get up to 8 GB konsumption by
akonadi alone and a 4 GB SWAP with high CPU load. If you:
exit Kontact (by killing it, the program does get unresponsive)
do akonadictl stop.
Then restart Kontact, all will be normal (e.g. 2.5 GB for three users at most)
for the rest of the day.
This bug is connected with two other bugs of 15. Baloo indexer crashes at
startup (bug known to kde) and a silent crash of Kontact if you close it and
just restart it. The first time in 15 it crashes silently. Then a restart has
normal function by you may experience some memory consumption.
This does not happen if you close Kontact and you stop akonadi. Restart
kontact all is great.
With 15 I had no LR conflicts an "unretrivable" etc errors like in 42.3. But
instead the other problems and, up to the change to postgres96 a high load of
CPU.
You may try if Postgres works for you in 42.3. I think that would be the
advisable solution up to EOL of it, which has been lengthened and would
provide you with some peace.

P.S. BACKUP! I know why I tell it, it is ALWAYS better to have it. So no tears
afterwards. ;-)

Ihre E-Mail-Postfächer sicher & zentral an einem Ort. Jetzt wechseln und alte E-Mail-Adresse mitnehmen! https://www.eclipso.de

Re: disable akonadi

Martin Steigerwald
Pete Nikolic - 02.09.18, 10:57:
> One thing that I always find amusing is when people start whingeing
> about performance then you see a statement like I use chrome  with 20
> to 50 tabs […]

This thread is not about performance in any sense of sharing facts about
it. I have seen no facts about performance or actual memory consumption
at all on my few glimpses into posts. Without any solid facts behind
arguing that Firefox (which version? *that* matters *a lot*) for example
uses more memory than Chrome/Chromium… there is nothing here.

It seems to be about sharing personal stories and experiences. For a
purpose… of well what purpose actually?

Martin

some facts about memory usage for a change (was: Re: disable akonadi)

Martin Steigerwald
Beware, this is in part a rant. I am tired to no end about discussions
about memory usage that lack meaningful *facts*. Those just spread
misinformation on the Internet, which already has an abundance of fake
facts these days. This may be my last post about this on this (IMHO
meanwhile rather pointless) thread.

René J.V. Bertin - 02.09.18, 11:00:
> Running the kind of session you describe on a machine with only 2Gb of
> RAM is probably an exercise in SM with any modern DE... Chrome

I agree that 2 GiB can be tight, however the main reason for that is not
the browser (see below).

Even with the session I describe below I get:

% free -m
       total  used   free  shared  buff/cache  available
Mem:   15825  3228   3284     459        9312      11838
Swap:  20479  1081  19398

(white space trimmed)

Which means that there are 3228 MiB actually physically used.

However on this system this is with MariaDB InnoDB buffer pool size set
to 1 GiB. AFAIR the standard size is about 128 MiB with recent Akonadi
versions. So you can reduce this number by about 870 MiB for a standard
setup. On 2 GiB kernel, libraries and applications may use a bit less
memory.

However… with a somewhat limited scope of running applications and in
case you are willing to allow for some delays here and there, I bet a
recent Plasma is actually workable with 2 GiB of RAM.

> readily uses around 600Mb just for the central process, FireFox even

600Mb of what? Apples, peaches, bananas? 600 Mb in itself just does not
mean anything. Even 600 Mb of memory does not mean a lot. Am I
nitpicking here? Probably yes. But for important reasons as you can see
below:

> more; extensions like AdBlock run as a separate process and can grow
> quite large; the same applies for each tab you open. Audacity is
> surprisingly lightweight in comparison, even for large projects.
> (You'd at least need to install The Great Suspender in all the
> browsers you use.)

Here just an example on how actual facts may look like (it can be
challenging to obtain actually facts about memory usage given the
complexity of Linux´s virtual memory manager):

If you consider memory the Chromium processes that are there after just
starting Chromium share with other processes running on this system I
only see about half of the memory usage (Unique Set Size, USS column)

% smemstat | head -1 ; smemstat -c | grep chromium
   PID      Swap       USS       PSS       RSS D User       Command
 23980    48,0 K    95,8 M   110,6 M   172,1 M   martin     chromium
 24125     0,0 B    79,7 M    88,1 M   149,8 M   martin     chromium
 24090     0,0 B    53,9 M    63,1 M   129,1 M   martin     chromium
 24033     0,0 B    51,2 M    62,8 M   112,3 M   martin     chromium
 24062     0,0 B    12,9 M    22,1 M    87,6 M   martin     chromium
 24141     0,0 B    11,4 M    19,1 M    79,2 M   martin     chromium
 24117     0,0 B 10080,0 K    17,0 M    76,6 M   martin     chromium
 24156     0,0 B  9924,0 K    17,0 M    75,8 M   martin     chromium
 24001     0,0 B  7688,0 K    16,7 M    63,9 M   martin     chromium
 24151     0,0 B  9992,0 K    16,6 M    74,8 M   martin     chromium
 24087     0,0 B  4052,0 K  8072,0 K    47,3 M   martin     chromium
 24003     0,0 B   144,0 K  1599,0 K    17,7 M   martin     chromium

This system runs a full KDE Plasma Desktop with Akonadi + KMail,
Akregator, Amarok, Quassel IRC on a ThinkPad T520 with Sandybridge i5.

Here with a fully loaded copy of today´s https://www.heise.de:

% smemstat | head -1 ; smemstat -c | grep --color chromium
   PID      Swap       USS       PSS       RSS D User       Command
 23980    48,0 K    95,4 M   110,9 M   173,3 M   martin     chromium
 24125     0,0 B    80,4 M    88,4 M   150,5 M   martin     chromium
 24033     0,0 B    59,6 M    71,4 M   121,2 M   martin     chromium
 24090     0,0 B    56,0 M    65,0 M   131,4 M   martin     chromium
 24435     0,0 B    43,3 M    54,3 M   124,1 M   martin     chromium
 24141     0,0 B    11,2 M    18,8 M    79,2 M   martin     chromium
 24117     0,0 B    10,0 M    17,2 M    76,8 M   martin     chromium
 24001     0,0 B  7688,0 K    16,7 M    63,9 M   martin     chromium
 24151     0,0 B 10028,0 K    16,6 M    74,9 M   martin     chromium
 24156     0,0 B  9132,0 K    16,1 M    75,0 M   martin     chromium
 24450     0,0 B  3984,0 K  7992,0 K    47,0 M   martin     chromium
 24003     0,0 B   144,0 K  1597,0 K    17,7 M   martin     chromium

But note: This Chromium has uBlock Origin running with quite strong
settings. IMHO the only ad and tracking blocker most users ever need and
way better than AdBlock Plus, Ghostery and you name it. Your memory
usage may be higher with all the ad and tracking crap.

However this is all Chromium processes after starting Chromium, not just
the "main" one.

Looking at Resident Memory Set Size (RSS) is better than looking as
Virtual Memory Set Size (VSS / VSZ) which is just completely bogus when
it comes to actual physically memory usage. But in a highly integrated
desktop where lots of apps share the same libraries, even RSS is way
over the board as you can see from above by comparing values or USS and
RSS.

Even Plasma´s KSysGuard has it. Actually is shows just 80960 KiB for
Chromium after just starting it. But it looks at only one of the
processes. You can expand it with context menu and gain a detailed
overview of memory consumption figures together with a basic explanation
about it. A developer added this, I bet after having been tired to no
end about the dozens or dozens of discussions about Plasma being a
resource hog which have one thing in common: A total or partial lack of
*facts*.

Without facts about actual resource there is really nothing to see here
in this thread except personal user experiences. And that may very well
be my last post about it. For those interested a search engine may help
you to find out more about VSS, RSS, USS and how memory management on
Linux actually work.

For those who do not understand at least the basics of it, I recommend
to let go of trying to make something out of some values of some random
tool, just install at least 4 GiB or even 8 GiB of RAM for basic day to
day desktop work even with Firefox (recent version) or Chromium and 50+
tabs open in it… and *be done* with it already.

That does not mean that more memory would not help. Those 16 GiB of RAM
in this ThinkPad T520 can help – already for the reason of additional
caching. Just right now it caches 9312 MiB – and RAM still is a lot
faster than at least SATA SSDs, but also NVMe SSDs and even persistent
memory devices –, but for today´s resumed session Linux did not yet put
all of the 16 GiB to work. 3284 MiB are still *completely* unused
(however there is no point removing a quarter of a 8 GiB RAM chip :)
from the machine).

% free -m
       total  used   free  shared  buff/cache  available
Mem:   15825  3228   3284     459        9312      11838
Swap:  20479  1081  19398

(repeated from above)

As well as the two SSDs with almost 1,5 TB of storage also help. If you
are into speed I recommend at least 8 GiB for a single Plasma sessions +
applications, together with SSD storage. This is much more important
than trying to put the latest and greatest CPU into the system. So you
can just buy an used ThinkPad or whatever and upgrade it. Even if its
older than 5 years already. Depending on what you do 16 GiB may be way
more than what your computer can put to good use. For 16 GiB you also
need at least T520, X220 … or later.

Now I let this go… whether or not someone there actually picks up some
of the facts about memory usage before posting again.

Martin

Re: disable akonadi

Martin Steigerwald
Duncan - 02.09.18, 11:04:
> René J.V. Bertin posted on Sat, 01 Sep 2018 10:29:02 +0200 as
excerpted:

> > On Saturday September 01 2018 01:09:23 Duncan wrote:
> >>Other than some metadata for images, etc, which I can get other ways
> >>if I need it, I don't miss it.  Rather the opposite as the system's
> >>*SO* much faster and less bloated, now! =:^)
> >>
> > Funny. I rarely use the feature under KDE, but on my Mac I do
> > appreciate the equivalent called Spotlight a few times a week. Of
> > course you hardly notice it's there most of the time.
> >
> > OTOH, I use KMail (4.1x) on both KDE and Mac, and on the Mac I do
> > miss being able to do useful searches in my email. Not enough to
> > have delved in to figure out why I can only search email headers,
> > not content - the fact my KDE desktop is never far away must have
> > something to do with that
> >
> > OTOH2: the locate database gets rebuilt once a day on my Linux,
> > typically when I wake the system in the morning - and that's really
> > noticeable.
>
> Do you find that you actually use locate enough to be worth the
> trouble of the constant updates?  I never did here, and that was back
> on slow spinning rust, and ssd makes real-time searches even faster.
> Seriously, between the fact that I make reasonable use of the
> directory tree to organize things, and databases such as the
> installed-package database I can query for some files, even if I
> don't know exactly where something is, I can normally narrow it down
> far enough that a real-time search is fast /enough/ that the constant
> database updates, even when I /don't/ use them, simply aren't worth
> the trouble, for as little as I'd actually use them.

For me mlocate has solved all the regular locate updating issues for
good. It only looks into directories that have actually changed on an
update run.

I had locate updating scheduled weekly on harddisk based laptop, cause I
was so annoyed by it, but with mlocate I hardly ever noticed it. Not
that I see much point in using hard disks as storage for hot data of
laptops or desktops anymore. Using an SSD is much more important than
using the latest and greatest CPU (which IMHO are quite crappy,
especially the Intel ones, see Meltdown/Spectre, but even Sandybridge is
already affected by that mess).

--
Martin

123