flatpak, KDE PIM, sandboxing and akonadi data

flatpak, KDE PIM, sandboxing and akonadi data

René J.V. Bertin
Hi,

Does anyone know if the PIM apps installed and run through flatpak use the same akonadi data as the apps installed and run "normally" (from /usr[/local]/bin etc)?

In other words, could one use the flatpak version (from flathub, to be exact) to test-drive a different version without risking your main Akonadi data?

Would this use the same session DBus or does the flatpak sandboxing come with its own (IOW, would you have to stop the main akonadi/PIM runtime)?

Thanks,
R.

Re: flatpak, KDE PIM, sandboxing and akonadi data

Daniel Vrátil -2
On Wednesday, 3 July 2019 10:40:25 CEST René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Hi,

Hi

> Does anyone know if the PIM apps installed and run through flatpak use the
> same akonadi data as the apps installed and run "normally" (from
> /usr[/local]/bin etc)?

They don't.

> In other words, could one use the flatpak version (from flathub, to be
> exact) to test-drive a different version without risking your main Akonadi
> data?

Yes, the Flatpak'ed Akonadi stores data, database and configuration completely
separately from the non-sandboxed Akonadi.

> Would this use the same session DBus or does the flatpak sandboxing come
> with its own (IOW, would you have to stop the main akonadi/PIM runtime)?

Yes, you have to stop the main Akonadi and PIM apps before running the
Flatpak'ed one due to DBus name conflicts - unfortunately when I first created
the Flatpak it did not occur to me the DBus names are going to leak outside of
the Flatpak, so I did not use namespacing for the Flatpak - and there's no
easy way to "migrate" into a namespace now.

 -Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | [hidden email]

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683

On Thursday July 04 2019 16:24:09 Daniel Vrátil wrote:

>Yes, the Flatpak'ed Akonadi stores data, database and configuration completely
>separately from the non-sandboxed Akonadi.

Thanks. Interesting in fact: I tried installing a few simple KDE applications through flatpak and they *do* get their settings from ~/.config . That doesn't mean of course that they store them there, and it's a bit counterproductive because you start getting warnings and non-optimal behaviour if you've configured your look and feel to use resources (themes, fonts, icons, ...) not available to the flatpak sandbox.

The resulting look was so awful that I didn't even feel like trying to install Kontact...

>Yes, you have to stop the main Akonadi and PIM apps before running the
>Flatpak'ed one due to DBus name conflicts - unfortunately when I first created
>the Flatpak it did not occur to me the DBus names are going to leak outside of

I also checked that, and noted that flatpak'ed applications indeed use the same DBus instance. At least that allows them to integrate a bit better.

R.