is this a bug, or a reason to upgrade?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

is this a bug, or a reason to upgrade?

salamandir

i'm using kubuntu trusty (14.04.1), and i don't know what version of amarok i'm using, because it won't start.

 

basically, when i click on the icon, it comes up already minimised to the systray, and when i try to activate it from the systray, it draws about a quarter of the screen and then hangs up, and crashes after a minute or so. if i try to restart it, it comes up minimised, and when i try to activate it, it draws about a quarter of the screen, and then crashes immediately.

 

i tried starting it from the terminal, with "amarok --debug", and i got a huge pile of text, which i can forward if necessary, but i'm wondering if it's due to a known bug, and the solution is to upgrade my OS...

 

i appreciate any help you can offer. 8)

 

--

namaste

salamandir

[hidden email]

 

A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion

Q: Why is top posting bad?

 

() ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail

/\ - against proprietary attachments

--

No loss by flood and lightning, no destruction of cities and

temples by hostile forces of nature, has deprived man of so many

noble lives and impulses as those which his intolerance

has destroyed.

-- Helen Keller

 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: is this a bug, or a reason to upgrade?

Myriam Schweingruber
Hi Salamadir,

On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 at 18:40, salamandir <[hidden email]> wrote:

i'm using kubuntu trusty (14.04.1), and i don't know what version of amarok i'm using, because it won't start.

 

basically, when i click on the icon, it comes up already minimised to the systray, and when i try to activate it from the systray, it draws about a quarter of the screen and then hangs up, and crashes after a minute or so. if i try to restart it, it comes up minimised, and when i try to activate it, it draws about a quarter of the screen, and then crashes immediately.


Your version (2.8.0) is relatively old, so is your distribution. Despite that, if Amarok has worked before on this installation, there is no reason it suddenly stops to work. Did you by change make an update or removed some packages? This is usually the most likely culprit. Another idea could be some changed access rights (this involves usually running chown and/or chmod on the command line) on folders Amarok needs to have access to.

i tried starting it from the terminal, with "amarok --debug", and i got a huge pile of text, which i can forward if necessary, but i'm wondering if it's due to a known bug, and the solution is to upgrade my OS...


We would only need the exact part of the text where the crash happens, ideally this should be submitted as a bug report, as a mailinglist is not exactly the best medium to handle bugs. I can't tell if this is a known bug without more information.

Best regards, Myriam
--
Proud member of the Amarok and KDE Community
Protect your freedom and join the Fellowship of FSFE:
Please don't send me proprietary file formats,
use ISO standard ODF instead (ISO/IEC 26300)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: is this a bug, or a reason to upgrade?

salamandir

On Friday, September 07, 2018 05:14:10 PM, Myriam Schweingruber, an eminent manifestation of divinity, wrote:

> Your version (2.8.0) is relatively old, so is your distribution. Despite

> that, if Amarok has worked before on this installation, there is no reason

> it suddenly stops to work. Did you by change make an update or removed some

> packages? This is usually the most likely culprit. Another idea could be

> some changed access rights (this involves usually running chown and/or

> chmod on the command line) on folders Amarok needs to have access to.

 

that's the thing... i DID NOT install or remove new packages -- i did upgrade a few packages, but not recently (within the couple of weeks preceding amarok's decision not to work).

 

i do that fairly regularly, and it usually doesn't affect other stuff. it certainly wasn't recently enough that i can definitely draw the line between the upgrades and amarok not working...

 

for lack of a better term, it just decided not to work one day...

 

and i DID NOT run chown or chmod on anything on this computer in over a year, which is significantly BEFORE anything started happening to amarok.

 

i would prefer NOT to file a bug report if the only solution would be to upgrade to the latest version, because i am already in the process of upgrading (starting with backing up my 350GB of music files). the only way i would file a bug report, at this point, is if i were fairly sure that it was going to get fixed, so as to make it so that others who have the same problem would be able to avoid the whole process.

 

--

namaste

salamandir

[hidden email]

 

A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion

Q: Why is top posting bad?

 

() ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail

/\ - against proprietary attachments

--

Although about three million computers get sold every year in China,

people don't pay for the software. Someday they will, though. And as

long as they're going to steal it, we want them to steal ours. They'll

get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to collect

some time in the next decade.

-- Bill Gates, July, 1998

 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: is this a bug, or a reason to upgrade?

Myriam Schweingruber
On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 at 17:30, salamandir <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Friday, September 07, 2018 05:14:10 PM, Myriam Schweingruber, an eminent manifestation of divinity, wrote:

...

 

that's the thing... i DID NOT install or remove new packages -- i did upgrade a few packages, but not recently (within the couple of weeks preceding amarok's decision not to work).

 

i do that fairly regularly, and it usually doesn't affect other stuff. it certainly wasn't recently enough that i can definitely draw the line between the upgrades and amarok not working...

 

for lack of a better term, it just decided not to work one day...

 

and i DID NOT run chown or chmod on anything on this computer in over a year, which is significantly BEFORE anything started happening to amarok.


No need to shout, I did not accuse you of anything, just trying to rule out some possible causes.

i would prefer NOT to file a bug report if the only solution would be to upgrade to the latest version, because i am already in the process of upgrading (starting with backing up my 350GB of music files). the only way i would file a bug report, at this point, is if i were fairly sure that it was going to get fixed, so as to make it so that others who have the same problem would be able to avoid the whole process.


Well, then I can't really help, as without you filing a bug report with the necessary details we can't know what is wrong, and without this we can't know what to fix. Mind you: we never fix released versions, this would be up to the distributions to backport any fixes we release, so again, nothing I can promise.

Best regards, Myriam

--
Proud member of the Amarok and KDE Community
Protect your freedom and join the Fellowship of FSFE:
Please don't send me proprietary file formats,
use ISO standard ODF instead (ISO/IEC 26300)