kompare not highlighting intra line differences

kompare not highlighting intra line differences

Nordin, Lars P
In my setup, kompare is not highlighting intra line differences.
Is this an issue with the options for diff or a problem with kompare itself?

I’m running on Kubuntu  v15.10 Wily with kompare 4.1.3 (KDE 5.15.0).
I’m using the default diff command and the following options:
Checked: treat new files as empty, look for smaller changes, optimize for large files

The information contained in this e-mail and in any attachments is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. This message has been scanned for known computer viruses.

Re: kompare not highlighting intra line differences

Jeremy Whiting
I'm fairly sure kompare never had the feature to highlight character
differences within changed lines. I've never seen it do that before at
least, and a quick check of what's on master just now shows it doesn't
do that currently. I've seen the feature (and actually implemented it
myself in one difference viewer application in years past) so I know
what you are talking about (unless I'm mistaken), but I don't think
Kompare ever did that.

thanks,
Jeremy

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 6:36 AM, Nordin, Lars P <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In my setup, kompare is not highlighting intra line differences.
> Is this an issue with the options for diff or a problem with kompare itself?
>
> I’m running on Kubuntu  v15.10 Wily with kompare 4.1.3 (KDE 5.15.0).
> I’m using the default diff command and the following options:
> Checked: treat new files as empty, look for smaller changes, optimize for
> large files
>

> The information contained in this e-mail and in any attachments is intended
> only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
> confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission,
> dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon,
> this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is
> prohibited. This message has been scanned for known computer viruses.

Re: kompare not highlighting intra line differences

Kevin Kofler
Jeremy Whiting wrote:
> I'm fairly sure kompare never had the feature to highlight character
> differences within changed lines. I've never seen it do that before at
> least, and a quick check of what's on master just now shows it doesn't
> do that currently.

It does. It puts changed characters in bold. For the code, see the
levenshtein stuff.

It does, however, only try to show character differences if less than
half of the characters in the line changed.

        Kevin Kofler

Re: kompare not highlighting intra line differences

Jeremy Whiting
Bold hmm? It doesn't seem to be working here with latest from git.

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 2:12 PM, Kevin Kofler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jeremy Whiting wrote:
>> I'm fairly sure kompare never had the feature to highlight character
>> differences within changed lines. I've never seen it do that before at
>> least, and a quick check of what's on master just now shows it doesn't
>> do that currently.
>
> It does. It puts changed characters in bold. For the code, see the
> levenshtein stuff.
>
> It does, however, only try to show character differences if less than
> half of the characters in the line changed.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Re: kompare not highlighting intra line differences

Jeremy Whiting
I take that back. Apparently the fixed width font I had set (Oxygen
Mono) doesn't have a bold. Changing to Monospace which does shows the
character differences just fine. I wonder if we should change kompare
to use some other styling besides bold to indicate character
differences, something like changing the text color or the background
color maybe?

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 2:22 PM, Jeremy Whiting <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bold hmm? It doesn't seem to be working here with latest from git.
>
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 2:12 PM, Kevin Kofler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Jeremy Whiting wrote:
>>> I'm fairly sure kompare never had the feature to highlight character
>>> differences within changed lines. I've never seen it do that before at
>>> least, and a quick check of what's on master just now shows it doesn't
>>> do that currently.
>>
>> It does. It puts changed characters in bold. For the code, see the
>> levenshtein stuff.
>>
>> It does, however, only try to show character differences if less than
>> half of the characters in the line changed.
>>
>>         Kevin Kofler

RE: kompare not highlighting intra line differences

Nordin, Lars P
Thanks for that - I confirm that changing to a font with bold shows the intra-line differences again for me.
Changing Kompare to use background shading would be nicer - and easier to see (meld does this).