libqaccessibilityclient now in kdereview

libqaccessibilityclient now in kdereview

Jonathan Riddell-3
libqaccessibilityclient is now in kdereview.  It's in a git repo
called libkdeaccessibilityclient but we filed a sysadmin request to
rename it.

We just released 0.2.0 in unstable (for some reason 0.1.1 was released
in stable some years ago).

What is it?
========
Since it's hard to grasp all the bits related to accessibility, I'll try to
explain what the lib is for.
Most of the stack is part of Qt 5, so nothing to worry about, that's the part
that lets applications expose their UI over DBus for AT-SPI, so they work
nicely with assisitve tools (e.g. Orca). In accessibility language, the
applications act as "servers" and the screen reader for example is a client.

This library is for writing clients, so applications that are assistive, such
as screen readers. It currently has two users: KMag and Simon.
KMag can use it to follow the focus (e.g. when editing text, it can
automatically magnify the part of the document where the cursor is.

For Simon Listens, the use is to be able to let the user trigger menus and
buttons by voice input.

Re: libqaccessibilityclient now in kdereview

Albert Astals Cid-3
El dimarts, 25 de juliol de 2017, a les 13:25:39 CEST, Jonathan Riddell va
escriure:
> libqaccessibilityclient is now in kdereview.  It's in a git repo
> called libkdeaccessibilityclient but we filed a sysadmin request to
> rename it.
>
> We just released 0.2.0 in unstable (for some reason 0.1.1 was released
> in stable some years ago).

What's your target? Frameworks? KDE Applications? Independent release?

It seems to have autotests but they are not run by either of these
  ctest
  make check
  make test

AccessibleObject seems like a dumping group, having functions like
        double maximumValue() const;
and
    QString imageDescription() const;
that if you read the description seems to me like they apply to "different
types" of objects. Is it because it is mimic-ing the ATSPI API? Is there a way
to have these things more split so they are grouped together more logically?

    Interfaces supportedInterfaces() const;
documentation is wrong, it says "return QStringList"

Can we remove the commented functions, i.e. managesDescendants, isRequired,
etc.?

Thanks for pushing this forward :)

Cheers,
  Albert

> What is it?
> ========
> Since it's hard to grasp all the bits related to accessibility, I'll try to
> explain what the lib is for.
> Most of the stack is part of Qt 5, so nothing to worry about, that's the
> part that lets applications expose their UI over DBus for AT-SPI, so they
> work nicely with assisitve tools (e.g. Orca). In accessibility language,
> the applications act as "servers" and the screen reader for example is a
> client.
>
> This library is for writing clients, so applications that are assistive,
> such as screen readers. It currently has two users: KMag and Simon.
> KMag can use it to follow the focus (e.g. when editing text, it can
> automatically magnify the part of the document where the cursor is.
>
> For Simon Listens, the use is to be able to let the user trigger menus and
> buttons by voice input.

Re: libqaccessibilityclient now in kdereview

Albert Astals Cid-3
El dimarts, 25 de juliol de 2017, a les 13:25:39 CEST, Jonathan Riddell va
escriure:
> libqaccessibilityclient is now in kdereview.  It's in a git repo
> called libkdeaccessibilityclient but we filed a sysadmin request to
> rename it.
>
> We just released 0.2.0 in unstable (for some reason 0.1.1 was released
> in stable some years ago).

Do we really have to keep the Qt4 compatibility or can we kill it?

Cheers,
  Albert

> What is it?
> ========
> Since it's hard to grasp all the bits related to accessibility, I'll try to
> explain what the lib is for.
> Most of the stack is part of Qt 5, so nothing to worry about, that's the
> part that lets applications expose their UI over DBus for AT-SPI, so they
> work nicely with assisitve tools (e.g. Orca). In accessibility language,
> the applications act as "servers" and the screen reader for example is a
> client.
>
> This library is for writing clients, so applications that are assistive,
> such as screen readers. It currently has two users: KMag and Simon.
> KMag can use it to follow the focus (e.g. when editing text, it can
> automatically magnify the part of the document where the cursor is.
>
> For Simon Listens, the use is to be able to let the user trigger menus and
> buttons by voice input.

Re: libqaccessibilityclient now in kdereview

Albert Astals Cid-3
El dimarts, 25 de juliol de 2017, a les 13:25:39 CEST, Jonathan Riddell va
escriure:
> libqaccessibilityclient is now in kdereview.  It's in a git repo
> called libkdeaccessibilityclient but we filed a sysadmin request to
> rename it.
>
> We just released 0.2.0 in unstable (for some reason 0.1.1 was released
> in stable some years ago).

It does not compile with clang.

Cheers,
  Albert

> What is it?
> ========
> Since it's hard to grasp all the bits related to accessibility, I'll try to
> explain what the lib is for.
> Most of the stack is part of Qt 5, so nothing to worry about, that's the
> part that lets applications expose their UI over DBus for AT-SPI, so they
> work nicely with assisitve tools (e.g. Orca). In accessibility language,
> the applications act as "servers" and the screen reader for example is a
> client.
>
> This library is for writing clients, so applications that are assistive,
> such as screen readers. It currently has two users: KMag and Simon.
> KMag can use it to follow the focus (e.g. when editing text, it can
> automatically magnify the part of the document where the cursor is.
>
> For Simon Listens, the use is to be able to let the user trigger menus and
> buttons by voice input.

Re: libqaccessibilityclient now in kdereview

Frederik Gladhorn-2
On tirsdag 25. juli 2017 14.47.44 CEST Albert Astals Cid wrote:

> El dimarts, 25 de juliol de 2017, a les 13:25:39 CEST, Jonathan Riddell va
>
> escriure:
> > libqaccessibilityclient is now in kdereview.  It's in a git repo
> > called libkdeaccessibilityclient but we filed a sysadmin request to
> > rename it.
> >
> > We just released 0.2.0 in unstable (for some reason 0.1.1 was released
> > in stable some years ago).
>
> What's your target? Frameworks? KDE Applications? Independent release?

It's closest to being a framework, considering that it's a tiny helper lib.

> It seems to have autotests but they are not run by either of these
>   ctest
>   make check
>   make test

Will look into that, thanks for the feedback!

Cheers,
Frederik

> AccessibleObject seems like a dumping group, having functions like
> double maximumValue() const;
> and
>     QString imageDescription() const;
> that if you read the description seems to me like they apply to "different
> types" of objects. Is it because it is mimic-ing the ATSPI API? Is there a
> way to have these things more split so they are grouped together more
> logically?
>

>     Interfaces supportedInterfaces() const;
> documentation is wrong, it says "return QStringList"
>

> Can we remove the commented functions, i.e. managesDescendants, isRequired,
> etc.?
>

> Thanks for pushing this forward :)
>

> Cheers,
>   Albert
>
> > What is it?
> > ========
> > Since it's hard to grasp all the bits related to accessibility, I'll try
> > explain what the lib is for.
> > Most of the stack is part of Qt 5, so nothing to worry about, that's the
> > part that lets applications expose their UI over DBus for AT-SPI, so they
> > work nicely with assisitve tools (e.g. Orca). In accessibility language,
> > the applications act as "servers" and the screen reader for example is a
> > client.
> >
> > This library is for writing clients, so applications that are assistive,
> > such as screen readers. It currently has two users: KMag and Simon.
> > KMag can use it to follow the focus (e.g. when editing text, it can
> > automatically magnify the part of the document where the cursor is.
> >
> > For Simon Listens, the use is to be able to let the user trigger menus and
> > buttons by voice input.

Re: libqaccessibilityclient now in kdereview

Luigi Toscano
In data martedì 25 luglio 2017 16:44:32 CEST, Frederik Gladhorn ha scritto:

> On tirsdag 25. juli 2017 14.47.44 CEST Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > El dimarts, 25 de juliol de 2017, a les 13:25:39 CEST, Jonathan Riddell va
> >
> > escriure:
> > > libqaccessibilityclient is now in kdereview.  It's in a git repo
> > > called libkdeaccessibilityclient but we filed a sysadmin request to
> > > rename it.
> > >
> > > We just released 0.2.0 in unstable (for some reason 0.1.1 was released
> > > in stable some years ago).
> >
> > What's your target? Frameworks? KDE Applications? Independent release?
>
> It's closest to being a framework, considering that it's a tiny helper lib.

We would still need an independent release before, at least to enable users to
use it for KDE Applications 17.08. Not sure what is the best way though.

Ciao
Luigi

Re: libqaccessibilityclient now in kdereview

Albert Astals Cid-3
El dimarts, 25 de juliol de 2017, a les 16:54:33 CEST, Luigi Toscano va
escriure:

> In data martedì 25 luglio 2017 16:44:32 CEST, Frederik Gladhorn ha scritto:
> > On tirsdag 25. juli 2017 14.47.44 CEST Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > El dimarts, 25 de juliol de 2017, a les 13:25:39 CEST, Jonathan Riddell
> > > va
> > >
> > > escriure:

> > > What's your target? Frameworks? KDE Applications? Independent release?
> >
> > It's closest to being a framework, considering that it's a tiny helper
> > lib.
>
> We would still need an independent release before, at least to enable users
> to use it for KDE Applications 17.08. Not sure what is the best way though.

Jonathan said they just had 0.2 out, i guess that's the one you mean?

Cheers,
  Albert

scritto:

> > > It's closest to being a framework, considering that it's a tiny helper
> > > lib.
> >
> > We would still need an independent release before, at least to enable
> > users
> > to use it for KDE Applications 17.08. Not sure what is the best way
> > though.
>
> Jonathan said they just had 0.2 out, i guess that's the one you mean?

Oh, right, so after 0.2. Sorry :)

Ciao
Luigi

Re: libqaccessibilityclient now in kdereview

Mario Fux KDE ML
Am Dienstag, 25. Juli 2017, 14:55:42 CEST schrieb Albert Astals Cid:

Morning Albert

> El dimarts, 25 de juliol de 2017, a les 13:25:39 CEST, Jonathan Riddell va
>
> escriure:
> > libqaccessibilityclient is now in kdereview.  It's in a git repo
> > called libkdeaccessibilityclient but we filed a sysadmin request to
> > rename it.
> >
> > We just released 0.2.0 in unstable (for some reason 0.1.1 was released
> > in stable some years ago).
>
> Do we really have to keep the Qt4 compatibility or can we kill it?

Please keep it for now as the next Simon release (0.5.0 which is on its way)
is still Qt4 based.

Thx
Mario

> Cheers,
>   Albert
>
> > What is it?
> > ========
> > Since it's hard to grasp all the bits related to accessibility, I'll try
> > explain what the lib is for.
> > Most of the stack is part of Qt 5, so nothing to worry about, that's the
> > part that lets applications expose their UI over DBus for AT-SPI, so they
> > work nicely with assisitve tools (e.g. Orca). In accessibility language,
> > the applications act as "servers" and the screen reader for example is a
> > client.
> >
> > This library is for writing clients, so applications that are assistive,
> > such as screen readers. It currently has two users: KMag and Simon.
> > KMag can use it to follow the focus (e.g. when editing text, it can
> > automatically magnify the part of the document where the cursor is.
> >
> > For Simon Listens, the use is to be able to let the user trigger menus and
> > buttons by voice input.

Re: libqaccessibilityclient now in kdereview

Rex Dieter-2
Jonathan Riddell wrote:

> libqaccessibilityclient is now in kdereview.  It's in a git repo
> called libkdeaccessibilityclient but we filed a sysadmin request to
> rename it.
>
> We just released 0.2.0 in unstable (for some reason 0.1.1 was released
> in stable some years ago).

I'd personally strongly prefer some additional support for parallel-
installability between qt4/qt5 versions. Currently, only the runtime is
parallel-installable.  Development files, including cmake and headers still
conflict.

-- Rex

Re: libqaccessibilityclient now in kdereview

Ben Cooksley
On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 11:25 PM, Jonathan Riddell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> libqaccessibilityclient is now in kdereview.  It's in a git repo
> called libkdeaccessibilityclient but we filed a sysadmin request to
> rename it.

That request has since been actioned.

Cheers,
Ben

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Mario Fux <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 25. Juli 2017, 14:55:42 CEST schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
>
> Morning Albert

Hi Mario,

>> El dimarts, 25 de juliol de 2017, a les 13:25:39 CEST, Jonathan Riddell va
>>
>> escriure:
>> > libqaccessibilityclient is now in kdereview.  It's in a git repo
>> > called libkdeaccessibilityclient but we filed a sysadmin request to
>> > rename it.
>> >
>> > We just released 0.2.0 in unstable (for some reason 0.1.1 was released
>> > in stable some years ago).
>>
>> Do we really have to keep the Qt4 compatibility or can we kill it?
>
> Please keep it for now as the next Simon release (0.5.0 which is on its way)
> is still Qt4 based.

Simon is (for the moment at least) prohibited from depending on
libqaccessibilityclient, because Extragear (as well as Plasma and
Applications module) applications are not allowed to depend on code
which is in Playground or KDE Review.

> Thx
> Mario

Cheers,
Ben

In data mercoledì 26 luglio 2017 18:11:18 CEST, Ben Cooksley ha scritto:

> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Mario Fux <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 25. Juli 2017, 14:55:42 CEST schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> >
> > Morning Albert
>
> Hi Mario,
>
> >> El dimarts, 25 de juliol de 2017, a les 13:25:39 CEST, Jonathan Riddell
> >> va
> >>
> >> escriure:

> >> Do we really have to keep the Qt4 compatibility or can we kill it?
> >
> > Please keep it for now as the next Simon release (0.5.0 which is on its
> > way) is still Qt4 based.
>
> Simon is (for the moment at least) prohibited from depending on
> libqaccessibilityclient, because Extragear (as well as Plasma and
> Applications module) applications are not allowed to depend on code
> which is in Playground or KDE Review.

While this is true that the procedure was not followed properly in the past,
we would let our user suffer a regression, so I vote to allow for an exception
in this case.

Is it a mandatory dependency or an optional one? If it is optional it is less
than a problem.

Luigi

Re: libqaccessibilityclient now in kdereview

Mario Fux KDE ML
Am Mittwoch, 26. Juli 2017, 08:29:47 CEST schrieb Luigi Toscano:

Morning

[snip]

> > Simon is (for the moment at least) prohibited from depending on
> > libqaccessibilityclient, because Extragear (as well as Plasma and
> > Applications module) applications are not allowed to depend on code
> > which is in Playground or KDE Review.
>
> While this is true that the procedure was not followed properly in the past,
> we would let our user suffer a regression, so I vote to allow for an
> exception in this case.
>
> Is it a mandatory dependency or an optional one? If it is optional it is
> less than a problem.

It's an optional one for a long time.

griits
Mario

Re: libqaccessibilityclient now in kdereview

Frederik Gladhorn-2
Hi all,

On onsdag 26. juli 2017 08.11.18 CEST Ben Cooksley wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 9:18 AM, Mario Fux <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 25. Juli 2017, 14:55:42 CEST schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> >
> > Morning Albert
>
> Hi Mario,
>
> >> El dimarts, 25 de juliol de 2017, a les 13:25:39 CEST, Jonathan Riddell
> >> va
> >>
> >> escriure:

> >> Do we really have to keep the Qt4 compatibility or can we kill it?
> >
> > Please keep it for now as the next Simon release (0.5.0 which is on its
> > way) is still Qt4 based.
>
> Simon is (for the moment at least) prohibited from depending on
> libqaccessibilityclient, because Extragear (as well as Plasma and
> Applications module) applications are not allowed to depend on code
> which is in Playground or KDE Review.

It's indeed completely optional and I'm not sure if the code in Simon is ready
for prime time. Peter wrote it as an experiment (and it seems to more or less
work), but I'm not sure how stable it actually is.

Cheers,
Frederik

> > Thx
> > Mario
>
> Cheers,
> Ben
>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >>   Albert

Re: libqaccessibilityclient now in kdereview

Christoph Feck-2
On 25.07.2017 13:25, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> libqaccessibilityclient is now in kdereview.

The autotests need Qt5Test, but if the dependency is not installed,
building fails silently.
Either require Qt5Test, or make the tests optional if Qt5Test was not found.

Issue found by Fabian from openSUSE.