mbox to store emails

Randy Kramer
I'm getting the idea that the current kmail (and going forward), kmail no
longer supports mbox for storing emails (i.e., email folders)?

I've tried googling to find an announcement, but haven't found anything -- can
someone confirm the situation?

Re: mbox to store emails

Martin Steigerwald
[hidden email] - 27.05.19, 21:48:
> I'm getting the idea that the current kmail (and going forward), kmail
> no longer supports mbox for storing emails (i.e., email folders)?
>
> I've tried googling to find an announcement, but haven't found
> anything -- can someone confirm the situation?

We had that topic just about a week ago and I explained what I could
about it.

Please see the other thread.

Martin

Re: mbox to store emails

Randy Kramer
On Monday, May 27, 2019 04:07:17 PM Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> [hidden email] - 27.05.19, 21:48:
> > I'm getting the idea that the current kmail (and going forward), kmail
> > no longer supports mbox for storing emails (i.e., email folders)?
> >
> > I've tried googling to find an announcement, but haven't found
> > anything -- can someone confirm the situation?
>
> We had that topic just about a week ago and I explained what I could
> about it.
>
> Please see the other thread.

I read, and now have re-read the other thread -- iiuc, that refers to using an
mbox file as a source for emails, not to create folders (separate mbox files)
for storage of emails -- did I misunderstand.

(Further, iirc, I tried to setup the mixedmaildir as a new account and I could
not (but, the means to set it up (using Settings / Setup KMail / Accounts (or
something close to that) is what leads me to believe it is a source for email,
not a place to store email.

Re: mbox to store emails

Martin Steigerwald
[hidden email] - 27.05.19, 22:26:

> On Monday, May 27, 2019 04:07:17 PM Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > [hidden email] - 27.05.19, 21:48:
> > > I'm getting the idea that the current kmail (and going forward),
> > > kmail no longer supports mbox for storing emails (i.e., email
> > > folders)?
> > >
> > > I've tried googling to find an announcement, but haven't found
> > > anything -- can someone confirm the situation?
> >
> > We had that topic just about a week ago and I explained what I could
> > about it.
> >
> > Please see the other thread.
>
> I read, and now have re-read the other thread -- iiuc, that refers to
> using an mbox file as a source for emails, not to create folders
> (separate mbox files) for storage of emails -- did I misunderstand.
>
> (Further, iirc, I tried to setup the mixedmaildir as a new account and
> I could not (but, the means to set it up (using Settings / Setup
> KMail / Accounts (or something close to that) is what leads me to
> believe it is a source for email, not a place to store email.

Mixedmaildir is a resource to store mails.

And it can be created from KMail / Settings / Accounts / Retrieval
(roughly translated from German) in KMail from KDEPIM 18.08.

--
Martin

Re: mbox to store emails

Randy Kramer
On Monday, May 27, 2019 05:44:05 PM Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> [hidden email] - 27.05.19, 22:26:
> > On Monday, May 27, 2019 04:07:17 PM Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > > [hidden email] - 27.05.19, 21:48:

> > > We had that topic just about a week ago and I explained what I could
> > > about it.
> > >
> > > Please see the other thread.
> >
> > I read, and now have re-read the other thread -- iiuc, that refers to
> > using an mbox file as a source for emails, not to create folders
> > (separate mbox files) for storage of emails -- did I misunderstand.
> >
> > (Further, iirc, I tried to setup the mixedmaildir as a new account and
> > I could not (but, the means to set it up (using Settings / Setup
> > KMail / Accounts (or something close to that) is what leads me to
> > believe it is a source for email, not a place to store email.
>
> Mixedmaildir is a resource to store mails.
>
> And it can be created from KMail / Settings / Accounts / Retrieval
> (roughly translated from German) in KMail from KDEPIM 18.08.

Kmail 4.14.1 seems to have the same option, that is, I can go to KMail /
Settings / Accounts / Retrieval and choose MBox file as the option, which is
described as: "Loads data from a local mbox file."

It appears to me that, if something else puts emails in an mbox file, kmail,
using the facility you describe, can retrieve mail from an mbox folder.

(And then, store those emails in various local folders in maildir format.)

In older versions of kmail, those local folders could be in mbox format (and
optionally, at least in kmail 1.13.7, somehow (sometimes automatically)
convert those folders to maildir format).

I want those local folders to be in mbox format, and I haven't found a way to
do that in 4.14.1, and I assume that it can no longer be done, up through and
including kdepim 18.08.

I am looking for confirmation of that, or instructions on how to set up and
then send / sort emails in kmail to local folders in mbox format.

Re: mbox to store emails

Martin Steigerwald
[hidden email] - 28.05.19, 02:17:

> On Monday, May 27, 2019 05:44:05 PM Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > [hidden email] - 27.05.19, 22:26:

> > > I read, and now have re-read the other thread -- iiuc, that refers
> > > using an mbox file as a source for emails, not to create folders
> > > (separate mbox files) for storage of emails -- did I
> > > misunderstand.
> > >
> > > (Further, iirc, I tried to setup the mixedmaildir as a new account
> > > and I could not (but, the means to set it up (using Settings /
> > > Setup KMail / Accounts (or something close to that) is what leads
> > > me to believe it is a source for email, not a place to store
> > > email.>
> > Mixedmaildir is a resource to store mails.
> >
> > And it can be created from KMail / Settings / Accounts / Retrieval
> > (roughly translated from German) in KMail from KDEPIM 18.08.
>
> Kmail 4.14.1 seems to have the same option, that is, I can go to KMail
> / Settings / Accounts / Retrieval and choose MBox file as the option,
> which is described as: "Loads data from a local mbox file."

Again: Not MBox. "KMail folder" or something like that.

MBox just accesses a single *mbox* file. KMail folder is the old mix of
maildir and mbox folder where you get the choice on creating a folder.

Except for providing screenshots (from a newer KMail version) I really
do not know what else to tell you to make you find that.

Really, I feel I told everything I could. And this starts to take quite
some of my time. So really please look more accurately for the necessary
resource type.

And of course for mails to be in a newly created mbox folder you need to
move some of the mails there.

I believe that with mixed maildir folders you could even "mv" mbox files
to the right location and let Akonadi scan them.

Martin

Re: mbox to store emails

René J.V. Bertin
On Tuesday May 28 2019 09:22:21 Martin Steigerwald wrote:

>Again: Not MBox. "KMail folder" or something like that.

In 4.13 its called "KMail Mail Folder". I do not however see an option to toggle it from mbox to something else or vice-versa.
And I get the impression that the entire "account" doesn't show up in the accounts side-bar until the folder has some actual mbox files in it.

R.

Re: mbox to store emails

Martin Steigerwald
René J.V. Bertin - 28.05.19, 10:34:
> On Tuesday May 28 2019 09:22:21 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> >Again: Not MBox. "KMail folder" or something like that.
>
> In 4.13 its called "KMail Mail Folder". I do not however see an option
> to toggle it from mbox to something else or vice-versa. And I get the
> impression that the entire "account" doesn't show up in the accounts
> side-bar until the folder has some actual mbox files in it.

Well, it should show up. Maybe after a restart of KMail / Akonadi?

Usually such a resource got created when setting up a POP3 account so
the POP3 resource would have a place to store the mails into.

Akonadi would then retrieve mails from POP3, cache them for a while,
store them into maildir or mixedmaildir resource and when the user likes
to read them retrieve them from the maildir or mixedmaildir resource.

As written before: I believe on creating a new folder within a
mixedmaildir resource it would ask whether to use maildir or mbox.
However, it has been ages since I last used that.

--
Martin

Re: mbox to store emails

René J.V. Bertin
>Well, it should show up. Maybe after a restart of KMail / Akonadi?

Tried that, the only difference I noticed was that KMail took a lot longer to start than usual.

>As written before: I believe on creating a new folder within a
>mixedmaildir resource it would ask whether to use maildir or mbox.
>However, it has been ages since I last used that.

Possibly, haven't tried that yet. I did test the resource with my 4.14 install on Mac, pointing it to the folder I also export via IMAP. There the account appeared and got populated.

Re: mbox to store emails

René J.V. Bertin
On Tuesday May 28 2019 13:43:33 Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> As written before: I believe on creating a new folder within a
> mixedmaildir resource it would ask whether to use maildir or mbox.

Nope, it seems it will just create a maildir (a directory with subdirs tmp, new and cur).

R.

Re: mbox to store emails

Martin Steigerwald
René J.V. Bertin - 28.05.19, 19:47:
> On Tuesday May 28 2019 13:43:33 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > As written before: I believe on creating a new folder within a
> > mixedmaildir resource it would ask whether to use maildir or mbox.
>
> Nope, it seems it will just create a maildir (a directory with subdirs
> tmp, new and cur).

Well, then I have no idea how this worked.

It has been a long time I used this. But I am sure I was able to use a
mixedmaildir resource with a mixture of maildir and mbox folders.

I believe this has been with KDEPIM from KDE SC 4.something.

However, as my interest in trying this out is limited to curiosity and
"oh well would be nice for archival, but I do not really need it
currently" I am not going to dig deeper into that at this point in time.

--
Martin

Re: mbox to store emails

Martin Steigerwald
Martin Steigerwald - 28.05.19, 21:03:

> René J.V. Bertin - 28.05.19, 19:47:
> > On Tuesday May 28 2019 13:43:33 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > > As written before: I believe on creating a new folder within a
> > > mixedmaildir resource it would ask whether to use maildir or mbox.
> >
> > Nope, it seems it will just create a maildir (a directory with
> > subdirs tmp, new and cur).
>
> Well, then I have no idea how this worked.
>
> It has been a long time I used this. But I am sure I was able to use a
> mixedmaildir resource with a mixture of maildir and mbox folders.
>
> I believe this has been with KDEPIM from KDE SC 4.something.
>
> However, as my interest in trying this out is limited to curiosity and
> "oh well would be nice for archival, but I do not really need it
> currently" I am not going to dig deeper into that at this point in
> time.

I tried nonetheless.

It does not appear in the folder list sidebar for me either.

Anyway, I am out now.

--
Martin