mysqld and akonadiserver keeps on runing and writing things on my hard drive

mysqld and akonadiserver keeps on runing and writing things on my hard drive

christophe-40
Context :
opensuse 15.0
kontact  5.7.3
kmail/akonadi 17.12.3
libmysqlcppconn7 1.1.9

For more than a week now, i have this strange behavior :
i see on the htop, runing in background window, that some processes are eating
the cpu time constantly :
akonadiserver and some other mysqld (more than 10....)
And it doesn't stop with a reboot of the os.
And worse : i see on the gkrellm that the main disk is constantly written .
That's o problem, because it is going to wear the ssd very fast. And i don't
want that.

Could you give me an advise to stop such bad behaviour, please ?

--
christophe

Re: mysqld and akonadiserver keeps on runing and writing things on my hard drive

René J.V. Bertin
On Monday June 03 2019 14:36:50 christophe wrote:

>For more than a week now, i have this strange behavior :
>i see on the htop, runing in background window, that some processes are eating
>the cpu time constantly :
>akonadiserver and some other mysqld (more than 10....)

>Could you give me an advise to stop such bad behaviour, please ?

Let me guess, you are using a KDE Plasma desktop? If so, the clock/calendar widget in the default panel starts akonadi when you log in.

Akonadi is started on-demand when it is first needed (e.g. by that clock widget) but it is never stopped automatically before you log off.

You can stop it by hand after logging in (`akonadictl stop`) and I presume you could replace the clock/calendar panel widget with a simpler one. If you don't use KMail or any of the other PIM services (including calendar/todo/notes) then you can als delete all akonadi "agents" (for instance via akonadiconsole). I have never verified if the clock widget will not recreate whatever agent it uses but if it doesn't then at least you should see less CPU and disk usage if and when akonadi is started.

Le lundi 3 juin 2019, 15:04:24 CEST René J.V. Bertin a écrit :

> [...]
> Let me guess, you are using a KDE Plasma desktop? If so, the clock/calendar
> widget in the default panel starts akonadi when you log in.
> Akonadi is started on-demand when it is first needed (e.g. by that clock
> widget) but it is never stopped automatically before you log off.
> You can stop it by hand after logging in (`akonadictl stop`) and I presume
> you could replace the clock/calendar panel widget with a simpler one. If
> you don't use KMail or any of the other PIM services (including
> calendar/todo/notes) then you can als delete all akonadi "agents" (for
> instance via akonadiconsole). I have never verified if the clock widget
> will not recreate whatever agent it uses but if it doesn't then at least
> you should see less CPU and disk usage if and when akonadi is started.

I have been using kmail, for almost 20 years now.
If i run your " akonadictl stop ", i cannot answer to your question on this
mailing list, because i do use kmail for all my mails.
So that makes no sense to run this command.
The bug and solution is somewhere else.
Any one has an idea ?

Le lundi 3 juin 2019, 16:44:45 CEST christophe a écrit :
> > [...]

Sorry.
Maybe i was not clear enough.
I see my machine working everyday. And i am a very frequent user of kde and
kmail, for years and years. And i immediately realize when something unusual
occurs. I always keep an eye on htop wen something is eating up cpu time or
disk usage on the gkrellm monitoring tool.
And that is the case for these akonadiserver and mysqld.
Thanks for your other answers.

On Monday June 03 2019 17:23:32 christophe wrote:

> Maybe i was not clear enough.

No, you weren't; not to me at least. You made it sound a bit as if "these akonadiserver and mysqld" were new to you.

Still, akonadi didn't exist 20y ago, and when did you last check for the presence of agents that you don't use (and which may have learned new tricks in a recent update)? You'll notice that my reply didn't hinge on stopping akonadi completely but also provided a potential solution to reduce CPU and disk use with it running.

If nothing on that end has changed you could try a database fsck followed by a vaccuum. You *will* get increased CPU and disk usage for a while after that, but with luck things will go back to normal afterwards.

If want to delve deeper: akonadiconsole has quite a few debugging features.

Le lundi 3 juin 2019, 17:56:35 CEST René J.V. Bertin a écrit :

> On Monday June 03 2019 17:23:32 christophe wrote:
> > Maybe i was not clear enough.
>
> No, you weren't; not to me at least. You made it sound a bit as if "these
> akonadiserver and mysqld" were new to you.
>
> Still, akonadi didn't exist 20y ago, and when did you last check for the
> presence of agents that you don't use (and which may have learned new
> tricks in a recent update)? You'll notice that my reply didn't hinge on
> stopping akonadi completely but also provided a potential solution to
> reduce CPU and disk use with it running.
>
> If nothing on that end has changed you could try a database fsck followed by
> a vaccuum. You *will* get increased CPU and disk usage for a while after
> that, but with luck things will go back to normal afterwards.
>
> If want to delve deeper: akonadiconsole has quite a few debugging features.

Ok.
My bad.

How can i adapt this suggested  database fsck  to the present case ?
And this "vacuum" ?
I sometimes used akonadiconsole to erase these ghost emails that appeared
always unread and that i could not erase from some folders (especially the
spam folder).
Where are the appropriate akonadiconsole commands adapted to this "constant
cpu and disk usage" by akonadiserver and mysqld  ?

Thanks

On Monday June 03 2019 18:25:26 christophe wrote:

>How can i adapt this suggested  database fsck  to the present case ?
>And this "vacuum" ?

%> akonadictl fcsck
%> akonadictl vacuum

In both cases, monitor activity from mysqld: it will increase and then calm down. There may not be any output on the terminal from those commands.

I cannot guarantee that this will have the effect you want, but at least you can then exclude the possibility that a database problem is causing your issues. As far I know you should never see activity of just the akonadiserver and the database process (mysqld) without also seeing activity from one of the agents (imap, mail indexing, calendar, ...).

But also check via akonadiconsole it you see any agents that do not have to be there. This application should also show if any agents are active continuously but if you don't see anything you still have the option to take them offline one by one to see if that makes a difference.

R.

[SOLVED] Re: mysqld and akonadiserver keeps on runing and writing things on my hard drive

christophe-40
Le lundi 3 juin 2019, 19:19:33 CEST René J.V. Bertin a écrit :

> On Monday June 03 2019 18:25:26 christophe wrote:
> >How can i adapt this suggested  database fsck  to the present case ?
> >And this "vacuum" ?
>
> %> akonadictl fcsck
> %> akonadictl vacuum
>
> In both cases, monitor activity from mysqld: it will increase and then calm
> down. There may not be any output on the terminal from those commands.
>

> I cannot guarantee that this will have the effect you want, but at least you
> can then exclude the possibility that a database problem is causing your
> issues. As far I know you should never see activity of just the
> akonadiserver and the database process (mysqld) without also seeing
> activity from one of the agents (imap, mail indexing, calendar, ...).
>
> But also check via akonadiconsole it you see any agents that do not have to
> be there. This application should also show if any agents are active
> continuously but if you don't see anything you still have the option to
> take them offline one by one to see if that makes a difference.
>
> R.

Thank you R ;o)

--
christophe