telico

dj

telico

dj

Version 2.3.8 414.2,Kubuntu packages

OS Linux (x86_64) releasee4.15,17-041507-generic

Compiler x86_64-Linux-gnu-gcc

I am sending this as I am unaware if the bug report was actually sent to you correctly and I do hope that I can get some response to the problems I am seeing with the program

I have just recently added some new books to my database and found that the database has lost the ISBN numbers. In fact the database of my books have all changed for instance where as one UK book was ISBN 1473827442 became 7-233***-x and many other books have also changed.

I am not sure if this is because most of my books are UK based books and your database has recently been updated. but something has changed of late.

I have also lost all the images that were related to the 270+ books.

Can you explain and hopefully correct for me .

Re: telico

Robby Stephenson-4
Hi,

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 1:54 PM dj <[hidden email]> wrote:

Version 2.3.8 414.2,Kubuntu packages

OS Linux (x86_64) releasee4.15,17-041507-generic

Compiler x86_64-Linux-gnu-gcc

I am sending this as I am unaware if the bug report was actually sent to you correctly and I do hope that I can get some response to the problems I am seeing with the program

I have just recently added some new books to my database and found that the database has lost the ISBN numbers. In fact the database of my books have all changed for instance where as one UK book was ISBN 1473827442 became 7-233***-x and many other books have also changed.

I'm not aware of any bug that was causing the loss of ISBN values or changing existing ones. An ISBN starting with 7 happens to be Chinese-based, I believe, so I'm not sure what might have happened there.

I am not sure if this is because most of my books are UK based books and your database has recently been updated. but something has changed of late.

The only database involved is whatever you have saved in your Tellico data file and what data source you might have used to fill the book's information. There's no connection maintained to that source.

I have also lost all the images that were related to the 270+ books.

I'm sorry to hear that.Is it possible that something might have gotten corrupted? Tellico tries hard to avoid any data loss and does not delete images from the cache directory.

Robby

Re: telico

Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz

Hi,

Just about one point...

On 5/2/19 5:05 AM, Robby Stephenson wrote:
> Hi,

>     I have just recently added some new books to my database and found that the database has lost the ISBN numbers. In
>     fact the database of my books have all changed for instance where as one UK book was ISBN 1473827442 became
>     7-233***-x and many other books have also changed.
>

> I'm not aware of any bug that was causing the loss of ISBN values or changing existing ones. An ISBN starting with 7
> happens to be Chinese-based, I believe, so I'm not sure what might have happened there.

This may happen with some data sources if the option : "Updating from source should overwrite user data" is checked for
some sources.

The sources I noticed this happens are "Google Book Search" and "Open Library".

This is annoying but it doesn't seem to me as a Tellico bug.

What I've done is to uncheck this option for these sources and reorganize the order from which data are updated.

Hope this help

About photos of book covers, I had this indeed, but it not seemed to me that this was a Tellico problem.

Either way, I'd like to thanks Robby for this very useful tool.

José-Marcio

Re: telico

Robby Stephenson
On Thu, May 2, 2019 at 4:52 AM Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm not aware of any bug that was causing the loss of ISBN values or changing existing ones. An ISBN starting with 7
> happens to be Chinese-based, I believe, so I'm not sure what might have happened there.

This may happen with some data sources if the option : "Updating from source should overwrite user data" is checked for
some sources.

Indeed, good point. That is a setting that can overwrite user data, so the intent is to have it be off by default. Hopefully that is true for everyone.

About photos of book covers, I had this indeed, but it not seemed to me that this was a Tellico problem.

Glad it wasn't Tellico's issue. But certainly if there is any confusion about where Tellico saves images or links to them, please ask. There is a global setting for Tellico about the image location so any issues would likely be dependent on that.

Either way, I'd like to thanks Robby for this very useful tool.

You're welcome! Very glad to know it's useful.

José-Marcio

Robby